• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO BOARD 17AUG20

exNavyOffRec

If we have another spike in covid cases. They have been talking about shutting down the country again potentially. Doubt it will happen. I am just assuming it would affect processing folks through MEPS.

The last "shutdown" had little effect, nothing really ever stops recruiting.

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon
@exNavyOffRec
Do you think that there will be similar selection rates to the February board?

I can comfortably bet my 50 cents on this that the February board selection rate won’t happen again. The April board could be worse but then they decided to give those who were on the April board a fair chance (including me by the way ;) ) This August board may not be comparable to the August board back in 2019 but we are gonna have a better time ;)

LouisLu

BlueEyesWhiteDragon
I can comfortably bet my 50 cents on this that the February board selection rate won’t happen again. The April board could be worse but then they decided to give those who were on the April board a fair chance (including me by the way ;) ) This August board may not be comparable to the August board back in 2019 but we are gonna have a better time ;)

I meant better than the February one

exNavyOffRec

It really depends how much of an over-selection was done, it doesn't sound as bad as the one years ago, but even so worst case you could be looking at same number of selections with twice the number of applicants.

almond_615

The last "shutdown" had little effect, nothing really ever stops recruiting.

Sir,

I can only hope there is not another shutdown. All of us e-6s who hopefully would have gotten selected and should be going through the season right now are nervously awaiting to see if these October/November boards will happen.

GAhnee

@exNavyOffRec

this is more of a side bar question. Since I didn’t get selected in February, how does the reapplication look when it goes to the board? I added some stuff and changed my statement, etc. does it go in as a whole new application since it’s been 6 months, or does it go in as a resubmission?

Also, does the board know who has reapplied?

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec

this is more of a side bar question. Since I didn’t get selected in February, how does the reapplication look when it goes to the board? I added some stuff and changed my statement, etc. does it go in as a whole new application since it’s been 6 months, or does it go in as a resubmission?

Also, does the board know who has reapplied?
It is essentially a "new" application however since you applied before it is a reconsideration, even if it has been years.

yes, they know if you have reapplied before, if you didn't fill out a reconsideration statement they also have that info in the computer.

They mainly look at GPA and degree, too many applications to dig deep.

GAhnee

It is essentially a "new" application however since you applied before it is a reconsideration, even if it has been years.

yes, they know if you have reapplied before, if you didn't fill out a reconsideration statement they also have that info in the computer.

They mainly look at GPA and degree, too many applications to dig deep.
I get that they primarily look at gpa and degree, I just keep telling myself they look at the whole package.

I’ve never heard of a reconsideration statement. Obviously it is too late now, but is that something recommended for future submissions? I would imagine it’s just a statement of all the things that have changed between then and now?

exNavyOffRec

I get that they primarily look at gpa and degree, I just keep telling myself they look at the whole package.

I’ve never heard of a reconsideration statement. Obviously it is too late now, but is that something recommended for future submissions? I would imagine it’s just a statement of all the things that have changed between then and now?
your recruiter may have had you skip it since it has been over 6 months.

I wish they wouldn't talk about the "whole person" concept, that is a PC thing they spout that doesn't exist, never has, I mean how can you look at the whole person when you spend only a minute (at most) looking at the application.

GAhnee

I wish they wouldn't talk about the "whole person" concept, that is a PC thing they spout that doesn't exist, never has, I mean how can you look at the whole person when you spend only a minute (at most) looking at the application.
I get what you’re saying with that, it just gives hope to people like me who split the middle of qualifying to apply. There are also those confusing cases where someone will get in with the bare minimum qualifications over somebody who has far exceeded the averages. Granted, there may be waivers, etc. involved, but it’s those kinds of exceptions that make people like me wonder.

exNavyOffRec

I get what you’re saying with that, it just gives hope to people like me who split the middle of qualifying to apply. There are also those confusing cases where someone will get in with the bare minimum qualifications over somebody who has far exceeded the averages. Granted, there may be waivers, etc. involved, but it’s those kinds of exceptions that make people like me wonder.

I get that, I had a candidate with a 3 something GPA picked over one of my other OR's 4.0 candidate, the only real difference is his candidate had a waiver for minor in possession of alcohol.

I wouldn't tell a person not to try, most of the work is done by the candidate, I would be honest with them on their chances, and after the first shot I would let them know that history shows for non aviation the best chance to get picked up is the first time they are seen at the board.

SeaWarrior

I get that, I had a candidate with a 3 something GPA picked over one of my other OR's 4.0 candidate, the only real difference is his candidate had a waiver for minor in possession of alcohol.

I wouldn't tell a person not to try, most of the work is done by the candidate, I would be honest with them on their chances, and after the first shot I would let them know that history shows for non aviation the best chance to get picked up is the first time they are seen at the board.

I asked my recruiter the very same question because I've seen people with good scores not get selected. He said he had someone with great scores but crappy LORs not get selected. I'm a prior with a 3.4 GPA in Finance and 48 OAR score so decent numbers but not great. I have a lot of good qualitative points in my package so I'm hoping they at least glance at it haha.

n0rthstar

It's really refreshing to see somebody be honest about the "whole person" concept. I always suspected this.