• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
Im currently helping an RS1 with his officer package. When he enlisted 8 years ago he tried the dual thing too but his recruiter only cared about getting an enlisted quota fulfilled, and didn't put much effort towards his officer package. Long story short...he didn't get selected and joined as enlisted. Guy has two master degrees and currently hating his life, but hopefully he gets selected.

Catman5211

Im currently helping an RS1 with his officer package. When he enlisted 8 years ago he tried the dual thing too but his recruiter only cared about getting an enlisted quota fulfilled, and didn't put much effort towards his officer package. Long story short...he didn't get selected and joined as enlisted. Guy has two master degrees and currently hating his life, but hopefully he gets selected.
Sounds about right

Jbyrne89

I didn't, I'm young and I want the experiences that come with active. I want to enlist, despite what almost everyone else on here says. Some people go enlisted and love it. I will be happy with whatever option I get. I'm not MA either, I'm IS, which I've been told is a good job to have. If I end up working in law enforcement I might switch to reserve but I'm taking things as they come right now. I'm excited for any possibility.

I dunno how police careers are where you’re from but here in Mass it is insanely competitive to get on a PD and veteran status gets you to the top of the list. So, to your credit, there could be value in taking any job in the military you can if you’re long term goal is to be a police officer and the PD you want to work in has a strong preference for vets.

Mel345

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    913.4 KB · Views: 18

Mel345

I dunno how police careers are where you’re from but here in Mass it is insanely competitive to get on a PD and veteran status gets you to the top of the list. So, to your credit, there could be value in taking any job in the military you can if you’re long term goal is to be a police officer and the PD you want to work in has a strong preference for vets.
It's the same way here (California), they love to see that. Which is exactly why I joined in the first place. I'm a masshole at heart, I grew up over there

Siej

I didn't, I'm young and I want the experiences that come with active. I want to enlist, despite what almost everyone else on here says. Some people go enlisted and love it. I will be happy with whatever option I get. I'm not MA either, I'm IS, which I've been told is a good job to have. If I end up working in law enforcement I might switch to reserve but I'm taking things as they come right now. I'm excited for any possibility.
They're telling you the truth. Being Enlisted and being an Officer are two different roles in the Military. If you're qualified to be an Officer I will try to go that route before going in Enlisted. I am currently active duty with 9 years of service. I will say the wear and tear on your body as Enlisted personnel is completely different from an Officer. Just imagine, if you graduate from OCS anytime this year, you will immediately have leadership roles compared to coming in as Enlisted where you have to go through all the bs. You might be an IS but you will spend the first 1.5-years mopping floors and washing dishes before you can even learn your job. Why do you think there's an E-7 on this thread that's trying to go the Officer route? BETTER PAY, BETTER STANDARD OF LIVING, MORE RESPECT(FROM THE DAY YOU ARE COMMISSIONED), BETTER RETIREMENT and most importantly LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE.

HSalt

But you can only try to help people to a point. In the end its ultimately up to the to them.
You can either learn through others or find out for yourself.

“Muster all E-4 and below for trash off-load” (Passing putrid, dripping garbage bags from the trash room to the dumpster pierside)
“Muster the working party for stores on-load” (Passing box after box of goods from the supply ship to the freezer for up to four hours, much of which will wind up rotting due to mismanagement of supply and be passed back to the dumpster at the next port)
“Cleaning stations” (30 minutes of cleaning, whether or not your space is dirty)
“Field day” (1 hour of cleaning, regardless of the presence of dirt. I clean a one square foot area of a bulkhead shoulder to shoulder with other enlisted for an hour every week.)
“Cranking” (Washing dishes for the CS’s for up to six months)

Oh, and yes.. IS’s do all of that. I know an IS3 who just started his six months of cranking. I’m sure your recruiter made it sound easy, but you’ll be a janitor with a TS clearance. I know because I am one - the Navy pays me for three foreign languages and also to clean toilets.

My recruiter fed me the same lie about it being easy to make the switch from enlisted to officer. And yet, here I am waiting for results from the first board I’ve been eligible for after eight years of having zero say in literally any decision at work because I’m not E-7 or above.

If you still want to enlist with a college degree, that’s on you. Just know what you’re getting yourself into first.

It's the same way here (California), they love to see that. Which is exactly why I joined in the first place. I'm a masshole at heart, I grew up over there
If you haven't figured it out yet (sarcasm), everyone in and out of the Navy has an opinion. Sometimes, it's best to carry on smartly. However, those on Active Duty have been through what you are wanting to go through. Sailors worth their salt love to give good advice, but it comes across sarcasm and spite.

If I could do my ten years over again, I would. Remain humble in holding onto your plan. Remain open to the advice of others.

Either enlisted or officer, good luck in your career. Last thing, it's a small Navy...more than likely you may hear from anyone on here again.

exNavyOffRec

There are articles and news stories on the lack of qualified applicants going into LE, the town where you are at might hard to get into LE, however there are many more that are dying for good candidates, there are even places that are having people start patrolling without finishing the academy, they are getting waivers so they can go on patrol and do the academy later, to me that is a bit nuts.