• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

I have read quite a bit of threads on here related to "what are they looking for?", while I am not a board member I can say that with the events that happened back in 2017, they should and absolutely need SWO's who are able to lead and 100% committed to training, learning and proper execution. Will your OAR and GPA matter when you need to think quickly on your feet to prevent a mishap? save a life? I don't think so, do you? That requires skill, and the ability to LEAD!! I cannot stress that enough! Can you handle the multi tasking that junior SWOs are tasked with? running a division, standing watch on the bridge, and getting qualified. Think about that when asking yourself what is the board looking for, as a Chief I want my junior Officers mentally prepared and motivated enough to take on the high level of responsibility that they are about to receive, humble enough to be willing to learn, and fully dedicated to leading our crew toward mission accomplishment. I see many post stats, but I haven't read much about what you did to show your potential as a leader, If you are a civilian did you reach out to find a mentor in the SWO community, did you spend time with them learning how to practice the moboards? Did you request to get some OJT to learn about the rules of the road? If you are active you most definitely should be. And not that an EP MP MP EP isn't great, but if you were an LPO what program did you implement? what instruction did you update? what did you do outside of your job that contributed directly toward mission success?

Just my two cents! Take it for what it is or isn't worth.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
I have read quite a bit of threads on here related to "what are they looking for?", while I am not a board member I can say that with the events that happened back in 2017, they should and absolutely need SWO's who are able to lead and 100% committed to training, learning and proper execution. Will your OAR and GPA matter when you need to think quickly on your feet to prevent a mishap? save a life? I don't think so, do you? That requires skill, and the ability to LEAD!! I cannot stress that enough! Can you handle the multi tasking that junior SWOs are tasked with? running a division, standing watch on the bridge, and getting qualified. Think about that when asking yourself what is the board looking for, as a Chief I want my junior Officers mentally prepared and motivated enough to take on the high level of responsibility that they are about to receive, humble enough to be willing to learn, and fully dedicated to leading our crew toward mission accomplishment. I see many post stats, but I haven't read much about what you did to show your potential as a leader, If you are a civilian did you reach out to find a mentor in the SWO community, did you spend time with them learning how to practice the moboards? Did you request to get some OJT to learn about the rules of the road? If you are active you most definitely should be. And not that an EP MP MP EP isn't great, but if you were an LPO what program did you implement? what instruction did you update? what did you do outside of your job that contributed directly toward mission success?

Just my two cents! Take it for what it is or isn't worth.
Great feedback chief. I could tell you were a fellow HM before I even went to your bio. Some things that I thought would stand out in my package was the fact that I've been on a combat deployment with marines, fired at, treated casualties while being fired at. My OAR scores were low (43), my evals were mediocre, and I have a medical administration degree. But I feel like I showed that I'm capable of working under extreme stressful conditions while maintaining my composure. Besides having an interest in the community. I thinks that's what they want to see.

Great feedback chief. I could tell you were a fellow HM before I even went to your bio. Some things that I thought would stand out in my package was the fact that I've been on a combat deployment with marines, fired at, treated casualties while being fired at. My OAR scores were low (43), my evals were mediocre, and I have a medical administration degree. But I feel like I showed that I'm capable of working under extreme stressful conditions while maintaining my composure. Besides having an interest in the community. I thinks that's what they want to see.

Ok future JO, your situation is unique to you and not necessarily would apply to a civilian or another Sailor who doesn’t have the operational platform to do so, mind you that the same way I don’t know why I was selected for Chief that same goes for yourself. Potential and willingness to lead, was key in my statement above. You can lead as a civilian and show dedication, motivation and potential in more ways than one. I want them to think beyond OAR and GPA because that is what I see and majority of what I see posted with less regard to much else. My input as well as yours gives them the ability to think beyond those scores to present a much stronger product the next time they submit.

Thank you

OAN do I know you? I’m a bit of a dinosaur so I been in for some time

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
Ok future JO, your situation is unique to you and not necessarily would apply to a civilian or another Sailor who doesn’t have the operational platform to do so, mind you that the same way I don’t know why I was selected for Chief that same goes for yourself. Potential and willingness to lead, was key in my statement above. You can lead as a civilian and show dedication, motivation and potential in more ways than one. I want them to think beyond OAR and GPA because that is what I see and majority of what I see posted with less regard to much else. My input as well as yours gives them the ability to think beyond those scores to present a much stronger product the next time they submit.

Thank you

OAN do I know you? I’m a bit of a dinosaur so I been in for some time
I agree chief. I'm just saying people should try to dig deep to figure out what makes them unique and desirable to the community and hone in on those traits and expressing that in their statement. OAR and GPA will only get you so far. I am different, I agree. And I don't know you may know me. I've been in for quite sometime as well (2006). But I've Been stationed in california my whole career. I-5 sailor over here ??‍♂️.

I agree chief. I'm just saying people should try to dig deep to figure out what makes them unique and desirable to the community and hone in on those traits and expressing that in their statement. OAR and GPA will only get you so far. I am different, I agree. And I don't know you may know me. I've been in for quite sometime as well (2006). But I've Been stationed in california my whole career. I-5 sailor over here ??‍♂️.

Nah, I joined in 2003, and I have not been to the west coast except for GSA training, but good luck to you seems like you have your head on the swivel.

exNavyOffRec

So you are aware the OAR plays virtually no part in the selection, it is just a score used to get you to the board, and it has changed randomly depending on the numbers they see applying. your good GPA is more of a factor than most things.

I think your background is unique and you have done many good things taking care of those Marines on deployment, now great leadership under and such under fire does not necessarily equate to great leadership in normal routines, I worked with 2 SWO's who were prior, 1 was prior Army, 1 prior USMC, both were very nice officers but not great leaders, everything had to be done "right now" no matter what else had been assigned before, 1 left as a LT, the other retired as a LCDR. I also worked for another prior enlisted USN who was a SWO that had done a tour in a combat area who was very cool under any circumstance, he ended up retiring as an CAPT, that is the guy to be like.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
So you are aware the OAR plays virtually no part in the selection, it is just a score used to get you to the board, and it has changed randomly depending on the numbers they see applying. your good GPA is more of a factor than most things.

I think your background is unique and you have done many good things taking care of those Marines on deployment, now great leadership under and such under fire does not necessarily equate to great leadership in normal routines, I worked with 2 SWO's who were prior, 1 was prior Army, 1 prior USMC, both were very nice officers but not great leaders, everything had to be done "right now" no matter what else had been assigned before, 1 left as a LT, the other retired as a LCDR. I also worked for another prior enlisted USN who was a SWO that had done a tour in a combat area who was very cool under any circumstance, he ended up retiring as an CAPT, that is the guy to be like.
Thank you. Very Informative information.