• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
That was a good one. You're on special liberty so why would they even call?! The temerity!

Tomorrow is the day. I'm manifesting that we will not endure another weekend wallowing in uncertainty.

EO87

That was a good one. You're on special liberty so why would they even call?! The temerity!

Tomorrow is the day. I'm manifesting that we will not endure another weekend wallowing in uncertainty.
The chief didnt see I was on special lib. Yea I'm thinking tomorrow is the day also

jlee199

speculation is that tomorrow will be the day. Any speculation on what time we should start considering tomorrow to be a lost cause?

I’m curious to know with the mandatory retirement age being 62 by DODI instruction which the Navy follows why not set the age limit to 42? To allow for 20 years of continued service? All this extra work with waivers for what?

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
I’m curious to know with the mandatory retirement age being 62 by DODI instruction which the Navy follows why not set the age limit to 42? To allow for 20 years of continued service? All this extra work with waivers for what?
My opinion on that is that Jr SWOs are better suited for the younger folks due to long working hours, watches, and lack of sleep. The community wants to make sure their newly assigned officers can handle the work requirements. other communities such a the medical communities are perfectly fine with allowing newly assigned officers that are 42 years old. Im just glad they allowed me in with an age waiver. And although the age requirement is capped at 32, you can still request for a waiver up until the age of 42. However, I would suggest if you're requesting an age waiver, you should be doing exceptionally well on your PRTs (Excellent and Outstangings)

Brian1123

In Japan waiting on someone to post their PRO REC Y so I can race to the ship in the middle of the night to check mine!!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND SORRY, THIS ISNT THE NOTIFICATION YOU ARE WAITING FOR...LOL!

My opinion on that is that Jr SWOs are better suited for the younger folks due to long working hours, watches, and lack of sleep. The community wants to make sure their newly assigned officers can handle the work requirements. other communities such a the medical communities are perfectly fine with allowing newly assigned officers that are 42 years old. Im just glad they allowed me in with an age waiver. And although the age requirement is capped at 32, you can still request for a waiver up until the age of 42. However, I would suggest if you're requesting an age waiver, you should be doing exceptionally well on your PRTs (Excellent and Outstangings)
[/

Average performance on the PRT across the Navy was good medium, most Sailors weren’t motivated enough to score higher because up until a few years ago there was no incentive. The medical community, with the exception of Nurse Corps, requires additional education outside of the traditional amount of 4 year institution, and last year the MSC community required masters. As long as you are healthy and physically qualified for sea and operational duty then the optempo shouldn’t affect your performance, dealing with the demands at sea is more of a cultural fit or a failure to adjust issue based on the fact that this is different climate than the civilian community, I also believe that is more behavioral health related than age related, however I could be wrong. My opinion going off experience, I don’t want to offend anyone, older Sailors (30+) are more mature. But I haven’t read any studies to back this information so take what I’m saying at face value.

fun fact: When the Navy switched to the three step BCA process for the PFA, they were going off the 2002 DODI Instruction.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Because the unrestricted line communities want officers the opportunity to serve 30 years (high year tenure limit for O-6) before facing mandatory retirement. Commissioning anyone past the age of 32, especially prior service is a risk because that officer can essentially retire sooner OR has limited opportunity to serve and promote before 62.

There's also other community factors like health/physical fitness but those are small compared to the main reasons above.

Because the unrestricted line communities want officers the opportunity to serve 30 years (high year tenure limit for O-6) before facing mandatory retirement. Commissioning anyone past the age of 32, especially prior service is a risk because that officer can essentially retire sooner OR has limited opportunity to serve and promote before 62.

There's also other community factors like health/physical fitness but those are small compared to the main reasons above.

This is know and I’m sure that there are statistics to prove this theory I just wish i worked in operations and research analysis so I could see the numbers. Honestly this sound more like a goal than reality. Those of us with 15 + years in feel alone most of our boot camp crew is gone, which makes me feel like the likelihood of someone doing 30+ years is to low, so low that this shouldn’t be the reason why,
Let’s look at 2 people:

23 year old no kids no spouse joining out of college
35 year old with family with 12 years of enlisted service applying for a commission

which one is more likely to do 10+ years of commissioned service?