• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

parkers18

I just rewrote the motivational statement, and added a LOR from a friend who recently became a SWO.

How long have they been SWO? How many LOR's do you have and who did you get them from (i.e. manager, co worker, etc...no need for specifics of course)?

jsd2

How long have they been SWO? How many LOR's do you have and who did you get them from (i.e. manager, co worker, etc...no need for specifics of course)?
They've only been SWO for about half a year. Of the other LORs (6 of them) two are from professors, one is a former boss, and two are executives at a national security focused DC think-tank I worked at. I was told that 5-7 LOR was an acceptable range, so I got there and didn't ask for more.

parkers18

They've only been SWO for about half a year. Of the other LORs (6 of them) two are from professors, one is a former boss, and two are executives at a national security focused DC think-tank I worked at. I was told that 5-7 LOR was an acceptable range, so I got there and didn't ask for more.

Not bad, you should be in good shape then. Your other stats seem solid as well. Are you only applying for SWO now? Did you tailor your motivation statement around SWO if so? Lastly, make sure that your reconsideration letter is well written. It will help greatly!

jsd2

Not bad, you should be in good shape then. Your other stats seem solid as well. Are you only applying for SWO now? Did you tailor your motivation statement around SWO if so? Lastly, make sure that your reconsideration letter is well written. It will help greatly!
Oh boy, this is literally the first I've heard about a reconsideration letter. Recruiter failed to mention that at all, is it required/the standard procedure for a second application?

parkers18

Oh boy, this is literally the first I've heard about a reconsideration letter. Recruiter failed to mention that at all, is it required/the standard procedure for a second application?

I dont think that it is required, but I think that its helpful. Its a great way to give a short synopsis on changes to your packet. My recruiter made me type one up for my second application. Have you already submitted?

jsd2

I dont think that it is required, but I think that its helpful. Its a great way to give a short synopsis on changes to your packet. My recruiter made me type one up for my second application. Have you already submitted?
Yeah, got my package in just after Thanksgiving. Do you know if it's at all possible to add something to the application without having to withdraw it in its entirety and then re-submit it?
Also thanks for the help, really appreciate it

parkers18

Yeah, got my package in just after Thanksgiving. Do you know if it's at all possible to add something to the application without having to withdraw it in its entirety and then re-submit it?
Also thanks for the help, really appreciate it

I think that withdrawing and resubmitting is more headache than its worth so your recruiter will probably advise against it. You could ask anyway if you want. I'm very surprised he/she didn't ask you to type one one up. Did you have to submit any waivers by chance?

jsd2

I think that withdrawing and resubmitting is more headache than its worth so your recruiter will probably advise against it. You could ask anyway if you want. I'm very surprised he/she didn't ask you to type one one up. Did you have to submit any waivers by chance?
Nope, luckily no waivers.

exNavyOffRec

My package got sent in a few weeks ago for this date.
Second time applying, 55 OAR, 3.7 GPA, 23
I am surprised you didn't get picked up the first time around, I can only think of 1 instance where I had a person with a high GPA and no issues not get selected on the first board they submitted to.

exNavyOffRec

The board rarely takes time to read those, it isn't hard to do the math as the board meets for 1 day, and in that day say review 200 applications. So often if they do it is because there is a waiver involved and they want to see what the person is like, and then the LOR's from people who have known the person for a long time are what counts.