• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

AT2Pax

Somewhere in Millington, Tennessee history has already been made. Quietly in a database somewhere, in a computer somewhere, are the names of the most recently selected SWOs of the worlds finest Navy. Tensions are high, expectations are up, Hopes are elevated across the 50 states and overseas as 311 prospective candidates await the results of the famous SWO board of 10Feb2020. Future Admirals, Future Commanding Officers and Future dominators of the seas patiently waiting to get a ticket to the dance. Goodluck to all!
This is pure gold!

pheemy

I'm honestly so grateful that some of you guys have responsive recruiters who help you, and then you guys post it. Mine seems to live under a rock and is crazy difficult to get more than a word or two out of.
sounds just like my recruiter, he only reaches out to me when he needs something but never responds when I reach out to him

Acsantosus

sounds just like my recruiter, he only reaches out to me when he needs something but never responds when I reach out to him
@pheemy @jsd2, You should use your experience as a lesson in the type of leadership you want to be. As an Officer you will be a link the the COC (even as a JO) for your junior and in some cases senior enlisted sailors). A day will come when they are waiting on you for something, or need you to give them information/ a decision. They will be relying on you. Remember how you feel about your current situation. Try to see all sides to every situation.... ones perspective on a situation is not always the full picture. Remember that recruiters are not only managing you but a plethora of applicants all at the same time. Many of them are coming off a demanding sea rotation that rapped them of any personal/ family time as well. This time on shore duty is in a sense time earned. This may not make sense now but when you hit the fleet it will click lol.

EO87

@pheemy @jsd2, You should use your experience as a lesson in the type of leadership you want to be. As an Officer you will be a link the the COC (even as a JO) for your junior and in some cases senior enlisted sailors). A day will come when they are waiting on you for something, or need you to give them information/ a decision. They will be relying on you. Remember how you feel about your current situation. Try to see all sides to every situation.... ones perspective on a situation is not always the full picture. Remember that recruiters are not only managing you but a plethora of applicants all at the same time. Many of them are coming off a demanding sea rotation that rapped them of any personal/ family time as well. This time on shore duty is in a sense time earned. This may not make sense now but when you hit the fleet it will click lol.
This is great advice! As an E-6 I have thought about this the same way. I looked at who around me in my CoC or fellow 1st Classes who embodied leadership and the traits I wanted to have. So I molded my leadership style after them.

Heh.

It's 1300 on a day you, as DIVO, were supposed to be out by 1600 to make your required FEP pt training cause your desk job made you too fat.

Department head tells all the divisions that he's suprisingly actually gonna be in office this afternoon so wants to do an ADCON at 1530.

By the way, he wants full updates on all TPO matters and the status of required yearly trainings. Additionally, he wants to see a tracker on all warfare devices being worked on by the Enlisted, to know how all the reinspections for the failed room inspections for the barracks went, and a full update on the chits and reenlistment paperwork is going for the next two months.

WTH right? Whatever, you have the foresight of a god so two weeks ago you tasked your two Chiefs to make sure collateral holders had their stuff together.

You look around for Chief one for them to be missing. You send a PO3 to check the smoke pit cause that's where the Chief always is, but he disappears never to return. Probably too intimidated to talk to a Chief or some crap. You find out that Chief #2 peaced out starting Monday for a required mandatory language training without filling an ops release. Maybe the local Senior can help? You reach out and just hear back from mister muster PO "Ugh, he's at an appointment, for like....today?"

Ok its cool. You're down to earth kind of DIVO. You were even prior enlisted so you don't have a problem talking to the crew. You manage to find the TPO for all those training updates. Unfortunately he doesn't have a working computer. Apparently hasn't had one in like 2 months but never felt it necessary to say anything. Scratch that.

Surely the Career Councilor matters are all taken care of right? I mean, it's peoples careers on the line. You manage to actually get the info you need! Unfortunately you find out that the info shows that you are backlogged 2 months on all your CDB's cause none of the Enlisted leadership likes to do them. Additionally Seaman Timmy has just blown by his fourth look on orders because someone forgot to put him on the tracker when he moved to the command. Hopefully not a huge loss for the Navy when he goes by by.

Minutes before you have to be at the ADCON, your luck comes in with finding out all about the warfare device progress, only to find out that a new NAVADMIN came out this morning making them obsolete for every E5 and below.

As you are finally making your way to the ADCON room with all the paperwork showing how much your division is in shambles, the Dept Head runs by real quick and says his kid is sick and has to peace out early, everything postponed.

But right before he passes the door he mentions that he needs to sit down with you for a counciling due to missing FEP pts.

THIS is what the Navy is like.

Acsantosus

Heh.

It's 1300 on a day you, as DIVO, were supposed to be out by 1600 to make your required FEP pt training cause your desk job made you too fat.

Department head tells all the divisions that he's suprisingly actually gonna be in office this afternoon so wants to do an ADCON at 1530.

By the way, he wants full updates on all TPO matters and the status of required yearly trainings. Additionally, he wants to see a tracker on all warfare devices being worked on by the Enlisted, to know how all the reinspections for the failed room inspections for the barracks went, and a full update on the chits and reenlistment paperwork is going for the next two months.

WTH right? Whatever, you have the foresight of a god so two weeks ago you tasked your two Chiefs to make sure collateral holders had their stuff together.

You look around for Chief one for them to be missing. You send a PO3 to check the smoke pit cause that's where the Chief always is, but he disappears never to return. Probably too intimidated to talk to a Chief or some crap. You find out that Chief #2 peaced out starting Monday for a required mandatory language training without filling an ops release. Maybe the local Senior can help? You reach out and just hear back from mister muster PO "Ugh, he's at an appointment, for like....today?"

Ok its cool. You're down to earth kind of DIVO. You were even prior enlisted so you don't have a problem talking to the crew. You manage to find the TPO for all those training updates. Unfortunately he doesn't have a working computer. Apparently hasn't had one in like 2 months but never felt it necessary to say anything. Scratch that.

Surely the Career Councilor matters are all taken care of right? I mean, it's peoples careers on the line. You manage to actually get the info you need! Unfortunately you find out that the info shows that you are backlogged 2 months on all your CDB's cause none of the Enlisted leadership likes to do them. Additionally Seaman Timmy has just blown by his fourth look on orders because someone forgot to put him on the tracker when he moved to the command. Hopefully not a huge loss for the Navy when he goes by by.

Minutes before you have to be at the ADCON, your luck comes in with finding out all about the warfare device progress, only to find out that a new NAVADMIN came out this morning making them obsolete for every E5 and below.

As you are finally making your way to the ADCON room with all the paperwork showing how much your division is in shambles, the Dept Head runs by real quick and says his kid is sick and has to peace out early, everything postponed.

But right before he passes the door he mentions that he needs to sit down with you for a counciling due to missing FEP pts.

THIS is what the Navy is like.
Shipment,
Your point is valid and understood. But (opinion) over the top. We are all adults and more over just people... some of us understand the expectations. While others Will lean. Remember that you were once a civilian and knew nothing ( *we are the privileged enlisted selected to lead at a much higher rank) this is based on our proven leadership and experience. We have in a sense to lead our JO peers as well and (opinion) shitting on them with the full force before they can even swim does not develop or contribute to a well functioning wardroom. I’m a Submariner (till the day I die) it’s a rough life for a NUB but as an LPO I never set my guys up for failure or made them rethink the decision. Don’t eat your own... or future own. Chicken little was still toxic even after he knew the sky wasn’t falling ?

1812TC

Midway over 1917. 1917 was great because they didn’t do the typical 2+ hr film. Only ran a couple miles and snuck through enemy lines, how much depth is there in that to drag out into a movie? But the acting was decent imo. Midway, phenomenal. The only negative reviews I saw were because ass hats don’t know who those people are. I’m sorry but if you need a spin up of who Doolittle and his raiders were? Well go watch Pearl Harbor or something first lol. I loved that they gave the stories of many angles up to and including the battle of midway so those that know, knew and could enjoy, and those that don’t, well just google.

Jbyrne89

For those of us still awake... (DP) Midway vs 1917... (Michael Buffer) lets get read to rumble!!!!!!?

This is a great question!! So, I’m going 1917 for sure. I thought midway was awesome how they fit so many battles and operations into the movie but I also thought that the dialogue seemed really corny. I think 1917 was really cool how it took you along with the guys so you kind of carried the same uncertainty they had. Also - can’t remember another movie about world war 1 going back quite a while.
With all that said, I heard there are rumors that Tom Hanks is currently directing and starring in a movie where he’s a CO on a fletcher class destroyer called “Greyhound” based on the book “the good shepherd” - that should be cool as shit. I think it comes out in May but I haven’t seen a trailer for it yet.