• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO BOARD 04 NOV 2019

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
Maybe YOUR mind. The rest of us will obsess until COB Friday, thank you very much.
Agreed...the command im at is a detachment
I was hoping to have a dual celebration with my birthday being Monday, 11/11. But as Acsantosus said, some folks are already on their 96 so nothing really gets done after lunch on Thursday. We have a 72 at my command.
I wish I was getting a 96. 72hrs for my command (probably because its a shore duty command. But anyways Ill still have my fingers crossed at work tomorrow.

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
Question: How many of you all would be ready to go this month or next once selected? Are we preparing mentally, physically,spiritually and reviewing recommended gauge? Seriously, I was reading up on a thread in which someone was dropped from OCS for not completing a portion. It has the term attrite in its title,can't recall the whole thing. It made me a little nervous but pushed me to buy some real running shoes. I have flat feet and when I was in RDC C school, that was the part I dreaded most...running.

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
Question: Once selected some of us will some day become Commanding Officers. What made you all look to SWO as an option aside from the selection rate if anything?

My current CO turns over tomorrow and has been a great guy to our crew. I wanted to gift him something but wasn't sure what. I'm just going to get him a card and write a few words. He made his last underway with us today during the family day cruise. Once we moored shoreside, he said a few words in acknowledgement of his departure tomorrow and his voice cracked over the 1MC. Maybe it was a fluke,maybe he was getting emotional. I hear people say SWO is tough so why pick it? I say why not. Hoping to have the honor to command a ship and impact others in such a magnitude some day.

Acsantosus

Question: How many of you all would be ready to go this month or next once selected? Are we preparing mentally, physically,spiritually and reviewing recommended gauge? Seriously, I was reading up on a thread in which someone was dropped from OCS for not completing a portion. It has the term attrite in its title,can't recall the whole thing. It made me a little nervous but pushed me to buy some real running shoes. I have flat feet and when I was in RDC C school, that was the part I dreaded most...running.
So I have to ask... if you pushed recruits, why is OCS stressing you out? For one if you look at the gouge knowledge most of it is what enlisted learn in boot camp with a little more added here and there. Idk your rate but if you are an FT, ETV, OS, STG, STS,QM, or a few other rates the tactics and navigation portion should be your current In rate knowledge. As for the IST and PRT if you are currently passing with a Good low or better what’s to worry about? Running 3 miles in 30 minutes is still slower than your time to run 1.5 on the PRT. Back to pushing boots... you should be well rounded in uniform and personal inspections. I don’t think you have a lot to worry about, polish up on the details and I have faith you will be successful.

Last edited:

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
So I have to ask... if you pushed recruits, why is OCS stressing you out? For one if you look at the gouge knowledge most of it is what was what enlisted learn in boot camp with a little more added here and there. Idk you rate but if you are an FT, ETV, OS, STG, STS,QM, or a few other rates the tactics and navigation portion should be your current I rate knowledge. As for the IST and PRT if you are currently passing with a Good low or better what’s to worry about? Running 3 miles in 30 minutes is still slower than your time to run 1.5 on the PRT. Back to pushing boots... you should be well rounded in uniform and personal inspections. I don’t think you have a lot to worry about, polish up on the details and I have faith you will be successful.
IT1 here. What makes you feel I'm stressed out? Nervous doesn't translate to stress. All questions posed weren't for myself. Recruiters do not always provide the best or most accurate info.

Completing RDC duty does not equivocate to completing OCS in any fashion. That was babysitting and even when kids weren't prepared there were so many checks and balances to retain the malingering all I know how to do is play video gaming souls. 3 miles wasn't a thing we really had to do since the kids couldn't keep up.

Not sure when bootcamp was for you but it was more than a decade for me. How many of those things do you say and know today aside from the Sailor's Creed? Seriously.

Some queries were rhetorical to get others in the mindset of what's next. Appreciate the feedback though.

Acsantosus

My current CO turns over tomorrow and has been a great guy to our crew. I wanted to gift him something but
IT1 here. What makes you feel I'm stressed out? Nervous doesn't translate to stress. All questions posed weren't for myself. Recruiters do not always provide the best or most accurate info.

Completing RDC duty does not equivocate to completing OCS in any fashion. That was babysitting and even when kids weren't prepared there were so many checks and balances to retain the malingering all I know how to do is play video gaming souls. 3 miles wasn't a thing we really had to do since the kids couldn't keep up.

Not sure when bootcamp was for you but it was more than a decade for me. How many of those things do you say and know today aside from the Sailor's Creed? Seriously.

Some queries were rhetorical to get others in the mindset of what's next. Appreciate the feedback though.
IT1,
I meant no offense and maybe I misunderstood the context of you post. I think you may have misunderstood the context of my reply. I was stating (in more words than I should maybe) that given your background and experience I see no reason for you to be nervous about OCS. With the experience you have, you may be more prepared than most of us honest. I have no doubt you will succeed once selected. As for the knowledge piece being totally honest I would say I can still recall 80% from memory. With that said we are all different. That’s not to say I am not doing my own leg work and polishing my skills and knowledge. I haven’t done a MOBOARD in a few years, so I busted out the old “eyeball” paper and started to practice again gun drilling thumb rules and formulas.

Acsantosus

We all will have strengths and weaknesses. OCS is not a solo op. None of us made it this far alone and none of us will make it through OCS alone. Only together as a team with all of our independent skills combined will we be successful?

BubbleRed

Hey man, if I’m not mistaken your currently not AD. So I want to wish you and ALL the Prior Service Members a Happy Veteran’s Day. For some but hopefully all of you this will be your last Veteran’s Day as Veterans. Best of luck in returning to AD.
That is deeply appreciated. Exactly how I feel. I hope the next Veteran's day is with bars on.

I'm nervous about OCS as well. We should be. Those nerves should just fire all of us up to study and train as much as possible.

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
My current CO turns over tomorrow and has been a great guy to our crew. I wanted to gift him something but

IT1,
I meant no offense and maybe I misunderstood the context of you post. I think you may have misunderstood the context of my reply. I was stating (in more words than I should maybe) that given your background and experience I see no reason for you to be nervous about OCS. With the experience you have, you may be more prepared than most of us honest. I have no doubt you will succeed once selected. As for the knowledge piece being totally honest I would say I can still recall 80% from memory. With that said we are all different. That’s not to say I am not doing my own leg work and polishing my skills and knowledge. I haven’t done a MOBOARD in a few years, so I busted out the old “eyeball” paper and started to practice again gun drilling thumb rules and formulas.
Copy all.

Perhaps someone can benefit from what is posed/posted by us.

Never had to do a moboard. Diving into that with an inhouse (spouse) OS. Agreed working on what we can will aid in our success.

This will be a grand experience for us all! I'm nervous yet excited about this adventure ahead of us.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC

Physically, I know I'm ready. I haven't received anything less than an outstanding on my PRT in the last 5 or 6 years. However, I know I am going to have to refresh my memory on a lot of things. As far as Marine knowledge, being a corpsman has definitely prepared me in regards to understanding their rank structure, history, and traditions. The main thing I'm most worried about is my household goods and trying to find a renter to rent out my house on short notice if selected.

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
Physically, I know I'm ready. I haven't received anything less than an outstanding on my PRT in the last 5 or 6 years. However, I know I am going to have to refresh my memory on a lot of things. As far as Marine knowledge, being a corpsman has definitely prepared me in regards to understanding their rank structure, history, and traditions. The main thing I'm most worried about is my household goods and trying to find a renter to rent out my house on short notice if selected.
Yes renting out property without much of a notice can be a headache. Perhaps a property manager could assist a little.

Putin Actual

Day 5 of the post-apocalyptic SWO board and still no news of any survivors. As the arctic surge prepares to bear down on half the country we are left asking ourselves will today be the day? Will it come on the wings of an email? The ringing bell of a cellphone? Or the approaching CO carrying a message fit for a SWO Dog. A wise man once said, “no news is good news,” but I say “no news is bullshit because we are tired of waiting.” So we pray to the SWO GODS this morning and tell them to damn the torpedoes, push 100 and just send it!

Tacticalhusky

Ah, so quiet today...so calm. I think we've all come to the conclusion that results most likely will not be released this fine Friday. As such, I hope everybody has a good weekend. If you're going to spend any time worrying and stressing yourself over the results of the board, then spend some extra time preparing, just as you would if you received a positive result! ?