• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

switch contract after commissioning and before TBS

silver236

None
I was recently commissioned last month through PLC-C as a ground contract with a projected TBS date of 1-14 (October, 2012 - May, 2014). The docs in Cola (flight physical) determined me as PQ/NAA due to my traffic record. Hence, the docs advised me to stay off the pedal for the next two years and come back for reevaluation, which will be January of 2014 during TBS.
According to my OSO, switching to air at TBS, which is also known as in-house contract switching as he stated, is as easy as talking to your XO assuming that you're qualified and there is availability. I found this extremely hard to believe; I have read and heard from many that the chance of switching to air at TBS is slim. Though, he was speaking from his experience and I can guarantee that the numbers and protocols have changed since then.
My question is, is switching to air at TBS as easy as my OSO states? Also, what's the number on available air contracts at TBS? Is there any LTs currently at TBS who have insights on this? Is it possible to hold off TBS, go back to flight physical, then attend TBS with an air contract?

Thanks.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Dude, same as as the other forum-

Competitive air slots vary from company to company. Some have a lot of people competing for a few slots, others have to beg people to take them. My company had 3, but no one who wanted them could pass the ASTB so they went unfilled.

silver236

None
Sir, is it possible to hold off TBS, go back to flight physical, then attend TBS with an air contract?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You're going to go to TBS when you get orders to do so.

Did you sign a ground contract?

joe dirt

pilot
You wont be able to switch to an air contract before TBS. Competitive slots will vary, my TBS company had 9 Pilot and 2 NFO slots with only 13 Marines trying to go competitive air. Each company will differ, but if you don't suck you'll have a shot.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's doable. I went to TBS as a ground contract and I've pretty much done my first choice since. It's not the end of the world.

MaxRU

pilot
1. Take ASTB before TBS.
2. Attain highest score possible.
3.?????
4. Profit.

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
Dude, same as as the other forum-

Competitive air slots vary from company to company. Some have a lot of people competing for a few slots, others have to beg people to take them. My company had 3, but no one who wanted them could pass the ASTB so they went unfilled.

This is awesome. I remember asking Newly Commissioned Lts at my OSO, if they were air contracts. They would say, "No way man, Flying is gay....I want to be a grunt...A real Marine." Then I'd ask them if they took the ASTB. They would say, "Yea, I failed it.....But even if I did pass it, I wouldn't become an air contract." That's some 1-800-Bullshit.

Eric Becker

can anyone tell me exactly what they will be looking for besides the ASTB score when you are competing for an air contract at tbs?

Eric Becker

I was informed that this process would happen at the beginning of tbs. and the contract switch would take place before training begins.

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
I was informed that this process would happen at the beginning of tbs. and the contract switch would take place before training begins.

This seems improbable. Did your OSO tell you that? or a buddy? It makes sense they would save it for the end of training, because it is called a "Competitive Air Slot". They need to know if you passed the ASTB and your class standing.