• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming at API

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I have a question if someone can answer please do

If someone fails the mile swimming at API. do they send him home or in other words is he separated from the navy ?

i did ask this question at another thread but I didn't mention a mile swim and didn't mention API so therefore people thought that I am asking about OCS swimming.

Jesus go into a pool and swim. Get better, dont suck.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Bad gouge. Swimming is one of the lowest priority things to worry about at API. If you can't, they'll teach you till you can.
Perhaps, but only to a point. Nothing "bad" about recommending to get into the pool early and work on your strokes.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps, but only to a point. Nothing "bad" about recommending to get into the pool early and work on your strokes.

Perhaps it would behoove you to be semi-comfortable in the environment that your branch of service operates in 90% of the time. Just saying...

"I can't wait to be a fighter pilot, but I get airsick every time I'm in a plane."

Not sure why we don't attrite more people for such things.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I would also vote the breast stroke but do whatever is comfortable for you. They do play music but you only hear like every couple of beats but you can hear the bass underwater and that helps put you into a rhythm.

Just practice, get some help man, and you'll get through....then you'll look back and realize how big of a deal it wasn't....

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
I would also vote the breast stroke but do whatever is comfortable for you. They do play music but you only hear like every couple of beats but you can hear the bass underwater and that helps put you into a rhythm.

Just practice, get some help man, and you'll get through....then you'll look back and realize how big of a deal it wasn't....

They started every endurance practice and our mile swim with the Harlem Shake by Baauer. "Dammmmmmitttttttt, play something else" underwater sounds a lot like ajntejntjanlkjd;jeoteojrpojetiet. During our mile swim, they played nothing but Metallica after the usual flogging of Harlem Shake. As a rehabilitating Metallica hater (now it is just mild dislike), I was hoping they would go back to the local country station or the 2Chainz Pandora.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps it would behoove you to be semi-comfortable in the environment that your branch of service operates in 90% of the time. Just saying...
"I can't wait to be a fighter pilot, but I get airsick every time I'm in a plane."
Not sure why we don't attrite more people for such things.

The Marine Corps would have a lot more logistics officers (or wherever you guys send your fallen angels... since T-6 transition USMC studs have the highest washout rate due to being aeromedically unadaptable according to the Wing 5 AMSO), if we just attrited vs remediation for airsickness. The Navy would have a lot more SWOs if we attrited for swimming (ironic, isn't it).

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Marine Corps would have a lot more logistics officers (or wherever you guys send your fallen angels... since T-6 transition USMC studs have the highest washout rate due to being aeromedically unadaptable according to the Wing 5 AMSO), if we just attrited vs remediation for airsickness. The Navy would have a lot more SWOs if we attrited for swimming (ironic, isn't it).

0e3.png

A lot of them wind up in the intel field.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The Navy would have a lot more SWOs if we attrited for swimming (ironic, isn't it).

It still boogles my mind that some who can't swim would join the Navy. Army and Air Force OK, but the Navy?

Jerry Curl

@ helolumpy, Sir I was one of those guys who joined the Navy without knowing how to swim. I had an aircrew contract as well, and ended up spending six weeks learning how to swim. The staff was great but ultimately I succumbed to WS-7 (jumping off the platform, and swimming 3/4 underwater) and was dismissed from training. Still kept my A school, and had a blessing to come back.

I enlisted in the Navy due to a comfort level with a family friend whom served for number of years, and for timing reasons as well. Hoping that experience in failing will pay dividends if/when I'm able to earn the right to lead Marines and attend flight training as well.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It still boogles my mind that some who can't swim would join the Navy. Army and Air Force OK, but the Navy?
There are plenty of jobs in the Navy that don't require swimming. I haven't swam in the line of duty since OCS.

Seasickness though is an animal I don't understand.