• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swallowing wings

MasterBates

I have seen USAF doing it at VT31/35 wingings (AF C130 guys get winged out of USN squadrons) in the last couple months.

Shall we bring it back? NEW GUYS! Get on it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is still alive and well with a lot of foreign militaries.

Still pretty stupid.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I just got mine smashed into my chest by all the other guys I winged with. Bruises on my chest, shoulder and upper arm. The wings were seriously bent after that. No drinking them out of a pitcher/mug.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I just got mine smashed into my chest by all the other guys I winged with. Bruises on my chest, shoulder and upper arm. The wings were seriously bent after that. No drinking them out of a pitcher/mug.

Shockinly similar to dolphins...:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Naaaaaahhhh -- crazy -- I gotta admit this is one of the dumber things I've heard --- we just put on our choker whites, went to the winging ceremony @ the O'Club, got drunk, and most of us and the wives ended up in the swimming pool.

Then off to the RAGs and beyond. There WAS an air war going on .... I never heard of this "tradition" ONCE while going through training.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Anyone watch Band of Brothers? They chugged a beer with their jump wings at the bottom...not a bad tradition if you ask me.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I never saw that either. I liked the chest pounding as I proudly wore my wings bent for the first year. Also, 20 bucks would be nice. My winging class was rather large (~35) and 21 guys threw a C-note on the bar to ring the bell. Now, we had already thrown in $150 per guy, so there was much drinking. I mean, 2100 cash on the bar is a nice little tip.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it was pretty much a Pensacola thing and maybe only a mainside thing. Never went to a helo winging up at Whiting. All winged NFOs did it that I saw, and pilots from VT-4 (VT-4 as pilot advanced back then). It was going strong in the mid to late 70s' into the 80's at least. Nothing stupid about it if you had a modicum of coordination, and sense enough not to get hammered before you attempted it. The real risk was not catching them at all and having them fall on the floor. You then incurred the wrath of your peers.

You want stupid, try a flaming hooker with a mustache and only rusty knife PI medicine to turn to if you don't pull it off.