• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swallowing wings

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Aircrew wing drink HSL-41 North Island, 1989. Good times.

Looking for faces I might recognize... it was alive and well for VS too. Used a beer pitcher, and couldn't take the pitcher from your mouth once you started until you finished it all. Best advice was to drink fast, as warm beer and carbonation have generally bad effects.

Agreed - good times, indeed. :)

H60Gunner

Contributor
Aircrew Wings

I can tell you that as of 2000-01, that was still a practice in -41 for the AWs.

Caught mine out of a pitcher of beer at the NAS Moffett "E" club circa '83.

I went through the HS RAG as a Helo guy in '93. SAR pups in my class drank theirs out of a flight boot donated by the biggest stinky sweaty instructor I could find. Then, they were "pinned" on the beach in Coronado with blood wings. Next day we had our graduation ceremony.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Aircrew wing drink HSL-41 North Island, 1989. Good times.

Looking for faces I might recognize as well. I do know the bent-over guy in the white shorts is getting ready to vomit though....

I was on deployment when my designation came in. Being underway tends to put the kibosh on drinking pitchers of beer. Also, there was only two other aircrewmen around. Our very next port visit was Diego Garcia so there was plenty of opportunities for alcohol-based "earn my wings" activity.

buckaloha

I was up at GaTech signing my life over to Uncle Sam last week and some how my dad and the captain there brought up that they had seen x-rays of wings inside guys stomachs back in the day. I guess tradition was(is?) that you drop them in your beer mug and have to drink the beer to get them out. I guess some guys either had way too much to drink beforehand or they had experience swallowing wierd objects... Two questions for the salty guys here: How did the wings get all the way down the ossophagus with the prongs? And how the hell did they get them out?...
There may have been more than one episode but I know the USMC aviator who drank his wings back in about 1973. He was an ROTC graduate from Holy Cross and got winged as a Marine Corps helicopter pilot. He was a real wild man. He showed up late for his "overboost" as it was called and did not realize his wings were in the mug full of various kinds of alcohol. He slammed the drink and only then realized that he had swallowed his wings. He went to NAMI in Pensacola where they X-Rayed and saw the wings in his stomach. They must have made it down the esophagus due to his being able to chug beer easily. They "passed" while he was enroute to his new duty station at MCAS Tustin, CA. His name was Hillary Rentz. Great guy who was my classmate at Holy Cross and ended up as my advanced Helo instructor at HT-18 when I later went into the Corps.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
There may have been more than one episode but I know the USMC aviator who drank his wings back in about 1973. He was an ROTC graduate from Holy Cross and got winged as a Marine Corps helicopter pilot. He was a real wild man. He showed up late for his "overboost" as it was called and did not realize his wings were in the mug full of various kinds of alcohol. He slammed the drink and only then realized that he had swallowed his wings. He went to NAMI in Pensacola where they X-Rayed and saw the wings in his stomach. They must have made it down the esophagus due to his being able to chug beer easily. They "passed" while he was enroute to his new duty station at MCAS Tustin, CA. His name was Hillary Rentz. Great guy who was my classmate at Holy Cross and ended up as my advanced Helo instructor at HT-18 when I later went into the Corps.

Please tell me he earned a callsign from this.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There is an infamous X-Ray that once graced the wall of the NASWF Oclub .... (Original Oclub with the pool)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
There is an infamous X-Ray that once graced the wall of the NASWF Oclub .... (Original Oclub with the pool)

Currently there in "Jack's Aces," the semi-all hands club with extremely limited hours, but it's there. Always thought it was a fake. Crazy.