• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWA: Sick out? Work stoppage? ATC? WX? Oppression? Violation of rights? Tantrum?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Couple LGBs on MOA common today. Also, You've inspired me to start meowing on UHF guard, now.

I already meow, but only to my EWO on ICS. Maybe it is time to take it worldwide? Also, +1 for grammar good sir. Tell us you monitor 121.5 without telling us you monitor 121.5.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Are you one of the douches who shouts "YOU'RE ON GUARD!" into your guard radio's mic every time you hear someone on guard? When I hear this, I usually try to start a chain of "So am I", "Me too!", "same here", "Yup this is guard", "So what?" if I'm overwater.

I rarely hear a conversation on guard. over the continental U.S. I hear "XXX go company" sometimes. Over the water and international it's usually only mistakes where they have pushed the wrong button like SlickAg says. All the BS is on 123.45 or company frequencies.

BTW, we're required to monitor guard too (at least at Hawaiian) and I probably fly a lot more than you. I've never had a problem, I just turn down the guard radio volume and "Tower, say again your last?" on those rare occasions.
Easy there Strawman Tex. No, I do not. But your response about chiming in is kind of douchey itself.

A. We can't turn down the guard volume independently on our aircraft. It is a function of the radio settings. The software switch is "GUARD R/TR" for our two UHF/VHF/FM ARC-231s. Our common setup has us listening to at least two other frequencies besides ATC/TOWER, as well as guard on UHF and VHF. FWIW, when we are working hurricanes, it is not uncommon for us to have 5 different radios up, in addition to UHF/VHF guard.

B. It's great that you fly more than I do (hour wise). I am certain I spend more time in the pattern with junior aviators. I fly out of KVQQ (formerly NZC). We have P-8s, P-3s, F/A-18s, F-15s, Cessnas, Pipers, CH-53s, Seahawks, Chinooks, Dauphins, heavies coming into Flight Star, tankers, adversary jets, and many other cats and dogs flying. Most of the time we have two parallel runways AND a sod/grass area in use at any given time. Oh, and the orange and white jets come from P'cola as well. How many times have you had to do 360s on downwind to let another aircraft land or been directed to make a left downwind for a right parallel runway? Or keep your pattern west of A taxiway and south of 9R? "Tower, say again last" can piss them off...maybe even cause a go around.

C. I guess we fly in different areas, because I hear that crap all of the time. I will admit, the company business on guard has diminished in the last 5 years. Yes, some of the calls are accidental. But the topic that we started on, intentional use of the frequency for joking around, still happens. But like making fart noises when you are a kid...it's funny at first. Then it gets old. That is until someone ups the game with a PA in a Home Depot. Then it's funny again. FOR A LITTLE WHILE.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
Thanks for this! I'm gonna start calling those who use the childish "Let's Go, Brandon" phrase the Let's Go, Brandon Type (LGBT) crowd. That should rile them up.
One of these brave warriors needs to sky penis a big L-G-B in the upper atmosphere.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Easy there Strawman Tex. No, I do not. But your response about chiming in is kind of douchey itself.

A. We can't turn down the guard volume independently on our aircraft. It is a function of the radio settings. The software switch is "GUARD R/TR" for our two UHF/VHF/FM ARC-231s. Our common setup has us listening to at least two other frequencies besides ATC/TOWER, as well as guard on UHF and VHF. FWIW, when we are working hurricanes, it is not uncommon for us to have 5 different radios up, in addition to UHF/VHF guard.

B. It's great that you fly more than I do (hour wise). I am certain I spend more time in the pattern with junior aviators. I fly out of KVQQ (formerly NZC). We have P-8s, P-3s, F/A-18s, F-15s, Cessnas, Pipers, CH-53s, Seahawks, Chinooks, Dauphins, heavies coming into Flight Star, tankers, adversary jets, and many other cats and dogs flying. Most of the time we have two parallel runways AND a sod/grass area in use at any given time. Oh, and the orange and white jets come from P'cola as well. How many times have you had to do 360s on downwind to let another aircraft land or been directed to make a left downwind for a right parallel runway? Or keep your pattern west of A taxiway and south of 9R? "Tower, say again last" can piss them off...maybe even cause a go around.

C. I guess we fly in different areas, because I hear that crap all of the time. I will admit, the company business on guard has diminished in the last 5 years. Yes, some of the calls are accidental. But the topic that we started on, intentional use of the frequency for joking around, still happens. But like making fart noises when you are a kid...it's funny at first. Then it gets old. That is until someone ups the game with a PA in a Home Depot. Then it's funny again. FOR A LITTLE WHILE.
Blah blah blah blah blah. Deselect guard. You’re not doing SAR in the pattern. It’s not complicated. Good lord.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Blah blah blah blah blah. Deselect guard. You’re not doing SAR in the pattern. It’s not complicated. Good lord.
Yes, I do that. But I also try not to teach young impressionable pilots that that is the Go-To method. Those @%$#%$ will do something wrong and then turn around and swear that you as an instructor taught them to do it. It takes one time and then the next time one of them gets the bright idea to deselect guard as a default every time they get in the aircraft.

There's a lot of criticism for something I admitted was a pet peeve of mine. Just don't blah blah blah all over guard channel. Good lord! How hard is that? ;)

FWIW...yes, I have been called to do a 100% legit SAR for an F/A-18 pilot off the coast of Mayport when I was flying Seahawks in the pattern. No, the call was not over guard. It was relayed to us by Mayport Tower via Sealord. It earned me a nifty pin from Sikorsky, a letter from Sealord, and a case of beer for each of us on the crew from the Hornet squadron commander. But you never know. I have been doing this since 1985, civilian and with two different military services. I'm offering up a perspective that some of you might not have considered, and some of it is based on real world personal experience. You can listen to/read it, or ignore it. Hell, you can even make fun of me for having an old fogey attitude. You might be right. But the fact remains that blathering over guard does have a negative impact. That negative impact is greater for some more than others. Hence the pet peeve of mine.

Now that I have suffered irreparable P2SD (Post Posting Stress Disorder), I'll have to decompress with a glass of my favorite bourbon when I get home. If you really want to watch me rant about a pet peeve, tell me how Jim Beam or Makers Mark are suitable substitutes.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yes, I do that. But I also try not to teach young impressionable pilots that that is the Go-To method. Those @%$#%$ will do something wrong and then turn around and swear that you as an instructor taught them to do it. It takes one time and then the next time one of them gets the bright idea to deselect guard as a default every time they get in the aircraft.

There's a lot of criticism for something I admitted was a pet peeve of mine. Just don't blah blah blah all over guard channel. Good lord! How hard is that? ;)

FWIW...yes, I have been called to do a 100% legit SAR for an F/A-18 pilot off the coast of Mayport when I was flying Seahawks in the pattern. No, the call was not over guard. It was relayed to us by Mayport Tower via Sealord. It earned me a nifty pin from Sikorsky, a letter from Sealord, and a case of beer for each of us on the crew from the Hornet squadron commander. But you never know. I have been doing this since 1985, civilian and with two different military services. I'm offering up a perspective that some of you might not have considered, and some of it is based on real world personal experience. You can listen to/read it, or ignore it. Hell, you can even make fun of me for having an old fogey attitude. You might be right. But the fact remains that blathering over guard does have a negative impact. That negative impact is greater for some more than others. Hence the pet peeve of mine.

Now that I have suffered irreparable P2SD (Post Posting Stress Disorder), I'll have to decompress with a glass of my favorite bourbon when I get home. If you really want to watch me rant about a pet peeve, tell me how Jim Beam or Makers Mark are suitable substitutes.
Deselecting guard when not needed should be the go-to. I don’t say stuff on guard but I also don’t let it interfere with my flight and complain about it. Listening to nonsense on guard is 100% self inflicted

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Deselecting guard when not needed should be the go-to. I don’t say stuff on guard but I also don’t let it interfere with my flight and complain about it. Listening to nonsense on guard is 100% self inflicted

Generally I agree with you, and this isn't directed at you or anyone specifically, but I've also had the issue of people who won't shut up on Guard when I need it due to ARTCC boundaries and shitty comm days, specifically in the southwest where going lost comm isn't uncommon for a few minutes. Obviously that isn't every flying day, but several times I've managed to find the black hole of comms she doesn't have anything left in her to get any higher than 10-12K' for better reception (even though I'm meeting the MEA altitude).

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Generally I agree with you, and this isn't directed at you or anyone specifically, but I've also had the issue of people who won't shut up on Guard when I need it due to ARTCC boundaries and shitty comm days, specifically in the southwest where going lost comm isn't uncommon for a few minutes. Obviously that isn't every flying day, but several times I've managed to find the black hole of comms she doesn't have anything left in her to get any higher than 10-12K' for better reception (even though I'm meeting the MEA altitude).
Absolutely. I’m not saying turn it off completely. I select it in the climb and deselect it around top of descent or whenever it gets too stupid. There’s just no relevant information on guard when you’re talking to approach, tower, or ground.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor

You know not everyone can deselect guard right. Every ATC facility is required to monitor it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't Guard transmit over the same remote transmitter/receivers and ARTCC freqs? If you don't get Center on an assigned freq for that sector, how do you receive Guard over the same transmitter?