• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWA: Sick out? Work stoppage? ATC? WX? Oppression? Violation of rights? Tantrum?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think mentioning politics on a PA announcement is about as classy as Hollywood actors doing the same on theirs, and equally oblivious to what the public actually wants out of said one trick pony (i.e. land me safely in the former, film a movie/TV show in the latter)......ie "nobody fucking cares what you think". Just go rage on Facebook/APC or whatever. But also, I'm not them. Maybe it is therapeutic :)

More importantly, GIANT KILLER and BEAVER routinely violate safety of flight, like every fucking day multiple times, through their own ignorance of the basic rules of radio use and fundamental incompetence. They also sent fighters the wrong way on 9/11. Let's fix that problem first, and then worry about cat calls on guard.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I haven’t heard it on anything but Guard and 123.45.
Yes, but when flying a military aircraft we are required to monitor guard. So when you talk or try to listen on another frequency, "LET'S GO BRANDON!!!" comes over your headset/helmet while you are trying to hear tower tell you about the P-8, MH-53E, Seahawk, P-3, Airbus, etc.. in the traffic pattern. Yes, I can stop monitoring guard (against regulations), but then again, why not use guard for what it is intended?

<pet peeve>Not to mention the use of guard channels by "The Show" to coordinate with their base or occasionally make the "Weather at Orlando Intl today is clear and sunny, We'll be landing in Orlando in 15 minutes. Thank you for flying __" call to the passengers in the back over guard. Yes, I have heard that. Flying a rescue aircraft, I have used guard for real life saving efforts. So yes, it kind of irritates me when I hear guard used as the air equivalent of "Breaker breaker 19".</pet peeve>

SlickAg

pilot
Yes, but when flying a military aircraft we are required to monitor guard. So when you talk or try to listen on another frequency, "LET'S GO BRANDON!!!" comes over your headset/helmet while you are trying to hear tower tell you about the P-8, MH-53E, Seahawk, P-3, Airbus, etc.. in the traffic pattern. Yes, I can stop monitoring guard (against regulations), but then again, why not use guard for what it is intended?

<pet peeve>Not to mention the use of guard channels by "The Show" to coordinate with their base or occasionally make the "Weather at Orlando Intl today is clear and sunny, We'll be landing in Orlando in 15 minutes. Thank you for flying __" call to the passengers in the back over guard. Yes, I have heard that. Flying a rescue aircraft, I have used guard for real life saving efforts. So yes, it kind of irritates me when I hear guard used as the air equivalent of "Breaker breaker 19".</pet peeve>
Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the “weather at Orlando” calls are because a pilot messed up his comm panel and transmitted on guard instead of the PA?

I know I’ve never made a PA over the radio, but I’ve heard of it being done...?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Are you one of the douches who shouts "YOU'RE ON GUARD!" into your guard radio's mic every time you hear someone on guard? When I hear this, I usually try to start a chain of "So am I", "Me too!", "same here", "Yup this is guard", "So what?" if I'm overwater.

I rarely hear a conversation on guard. over the continental U.S. I hear "XXX go company" sometimes. Over the water and international it's usually only mistakes where they have pushed the wrong button like SlickAg says. All the BS is on 123.45 or company frequencies.

BTW, we're required to monitor guard too (at least at Hawaiian) and I probably fly a lot more than you. I've never had a problem, I just turn down the guard radio volume and "Tower, say again your last?" on those rare occasions.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Are you one of the douches who shouts "YOU'RE ON GUARD!" into your guard radio's mic every time you hear someone on guard? When I hear this, I unusually try to start a chain of "So am I", "Me too!", "same here", "Yup this is guard", "So what?" if I'm overwater.

I rarely hear a conversation on guard. over the continental U.S. I hear "XXX go company" sometimes. Over the water and international it's usually only mistakes where they have pushed the wrong button like SlickAg says. All the BS is on 123.45 or company frequencies.

BTW, we're required to monitor guard too (at least at Hawaiian) and I probably fly a lot more than you. I've never had a problem, I just turn down the guard radio volume and "Tower, say again your last?" on those rare occasions.

Part of my fence in checks was always to de-select guard. Too many fights interrupted by "Delta 1234, if you hear this transmission, contact ATC..." resulting in missed kill calls, shot status, etc. Was it ever a big deal? Nope.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Part of my fence in checks was always to de-select guard. Too many fights interrupted by "Delta 1234, if you hear this transmission, contact ATC..." resulting in missed kill calls, shot status, etc. Was it ever a big deal? Nope.

Also I wonder if Rob is monitoring VHF guard. I'll say I have been delightfully ignorant of the "meow" and "Brandon" guard fads because I monitor 243.0 and controllers aren't simulcasting those things. But I agree, the types of calls you are talking about always happen at exactly the wrong time.....reference my previous about GK.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Yeah I never heard a single meow in the military. UHF guard doesn’t have anything spicy on it. Ever.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yeah I never heard a single meow in the military. UHF guard doesn’t have anything spicy on it. Ever.
It does have HUB Radio calling Army flight school helicopters that forgot to check in with home base, and doing this seemingly five times a day, so there's that. I might or might not have a friend who once lost his composure and answered, "Hub radio, SHUT UP!" on 243.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Also I wonder if Rob is monitoring VHF guard. I'll say I have been delightfully ignorant of the "meow" and "Brandon" guard fads because I monitor 243.0 and controllers aren't simulcasting those things. But I agree, the types of calls you are talking about always happen at exactly the wrong time.....reference my previous about GK.

Couple LGBs on MOA common today. Also, You've inspired me to start meowing on UHF guard, now.