• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWA: Sick out? Work stoppage? ATC? WX? Oppression? Violation of rights? Tantrum?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
, but several times I've managed to find the black hole of comms she doesn't have anything left in her to get any higher than 10-12K' for better reception (even though I'm meeting the MEA altitude).
There's the problem, you're flying a helicopter....

(Smiles and shit for the douchey reply)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Doesn't Guard transmit over the same remote transmitter/receivers and ARTCC freqs? If you don't get Center on an assigned freq for that sector, how do you receive Guard over the same transmitter?

I think because you're hearing it over multiple transmitters. For example if you're not hearing ZAB, but you can kind of get ZLA, then you'll hear the guard call over all of the ZLA transmitters. I also wonder if sometimes the controllers don't always remember to switch transmitters when calling before going to guard. I'm sure we've all heard the double-call from Center because the first call went out on a transmitter that wasn't near the plane, then after a switch to a different transmitter, that plane hears the call.

I've also had Memphis lose me right as I needed the turn to the FAC into MEI. I was IMC, so they were eager to get me back up. A guard call got me up to a different freq just before I was about to switch over to tower to try and get the clearance from them.

There's the problem, you're flying a helicopter....

(Smiles and shit for the douchey reply)

This was in fixed-wing. Ironically, despite having 5 different radios in the commercial helicopter (6 if you include the SAT phone), there aren't enough radios to monitor guard. Oh well. I never really understood why a monitor function is such a new thing on civilian radios now.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Apparently I'm not the only one with a little pet peeve about nonsense guard blabbering. Now, if you want to go for the win, do the fart in the PA challenge on guard from 30k'. Making guard fun again (at least for a little while).