• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Knives

I just keep one fingernail uncut.
the-longest-fingernails-in-the-worldguinness.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
This is a thread about survival knives. Arguably the most valiable piece of survival you can carry....

Minus of course...a dictionary.

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=26
Model 19 Bushmaster or Model 15 Airman...hope your order is in...

If you don't feel like waiting that long or spending as much...this is a pretty nice blade from a seriously skilled individual...granted a little gimicky but...

http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/ProductImages/T2TomBrownTrackerKnife500.jpg
I prefer the Mini Tracker...

Nafod

Change I can belive in
The best swords were made of metal folded repeatedly--the more times folded, the better the blade was supposed to be. I don't know what kind of metal they would have used on those ancient swords--

Unless you need metal to cut other metal I can't see why you would need a folded metal blade. Of course, under the right circumstances you might be glad you spent the money, like if you were to attack a guy in full armour. It would make a nice Christmas present to yourself anyway.

is this a joke that im not getting?

Scoober, Ive heard that Randall Knives make some great stuff, but ive never used one.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have a Strider/Buck/Tarani folder that handled just about what ever I needed it to in Afghanistan. I also have a RAT5 knife from Ontario (they make the USMC bayonet) that took care of bigger tasks, like preventing annoying NATO wankers from getting stuff that we left behind.

Zissou

Banned
The best swords were made of metal folded repeatedly--the more times folded, the better the blade was supposed to be. I don't know what kind of metal they would have used on those ancient swords--

Unless you need metal to cut other metal I can't see why you would need a folded metal blade. Of course, under the right circumstances you might be glad you spent the money, like if you were to attack a guy in full armour. It would make a nice Christmas present to yourself anyway.

Not true since the 1930's You've seen too many Samurai movies.

Justin Gingrich at Rangerknives.com is a great dude who makes inexpensive class A fixed blade knives. I deployed with him in 2004, also a solid operator. He builds his blades so that any E-4 Ranger can afford it. Can't beat that.

If you have cash: Horrigan you cannot find better.

nugget61

pilot
Once you are final selected into BDCP can we buy military only knives or do we have to be active?

FlyinRock

For background, I've been a pilot mostly working utility stuff in the back country and boonies all over the world. Also a long time hunter and licensed hunting guide in the Rockies.
I carry a ubiquitous SwissArmy knife in my bag that has the basic issue large and small blades, screwdriver, scissors, awl, can opener, etc. I have carried one for probably 40 years and it gets used more than any other knife I carry. Haven't had to do any knife fights with it, haven't had to escape from McGiver incidents (but more than a few similar) and it does the job.
If you are looking for a specific blade for a specific job, then your choices are many but don't forget they may be mission specific. A machete is not much good for doing small jobs no more than my SAK good for chopping wood.
As a defensive blade I've carried a Hartsfield Kwaiken for more than 30 years and it has never cut anything more serious than tuna on the ship for sushi. Of course it is capable of cutting to the bone with ease, and has even been pushed thru a phone book with a little obvious extra shove. I love that blade but it also can't do some of the things that simple little SAK does.
When working as a hunting guide, I have a two bladed CASE folder for skinning out game and all the other chores done in the field. I also carry a small field axe as well as a flexible "chain saw" should I have to cut wood.
But, guess what? That little SAK is in my day pack too in case I need to do fine work.
I've spent more than a few days out in the bush with no more than what I had when I got dumped out and under those kind of conditions you start getting rid of the BS gear no matter how cool it looks or how expensive it was/is.
Do some more research and see what the common items are when it comes down to serious hard core survival. It most likely will be short on the "Super TalonBlackhawk Ninja Sooper Dooper Killer" and more likely to be a simple quality pocket knife, axe, and a head full of common sense.
Still amused when I think of the most appropriate description.... "Well it looks great in the shower but ain't worth a shit in the bedroom".
When was the last time you used your knife and what for?

callsignecho

Clock Spider
If you are looking for a specific blade for a specific job, then your choices are many but don't forget they may be mission specific. A machete is not much good for doing small jobs no more than my SAK good for chopping wood.

Do some more research and see what the common items are when it comes down to serious hard core survival. It most likely will be short on the "Super TalonBlackhawk Ninja Sooper Dooper Killer" and more likely to be a simple quality pocket knife, axe, and a head full of common sense.

Still amused when I think of the most appropriate description.... "Well it looks great in the shower but ain't worth a shit in the bedroom".
When was the last time you used your knife and what for?

Excellent point! What is the blade going to be used for? Skinning rabbits or enemies?

If this is a question about tactical knives then I humbly leave the commenting to those with expertise in that area.

If we are talking utility knives, well then [rubs hands together]...

Kabar makes a fine, tough blade, but its size makes it ill-suited for certain "domestic" survival tasks, like peeling tough fruit, cutting line, or skinning animals. You are better off with a shorter, more maneuverable blade designed specifically for hunting (perhaps with a "zipper" on the reverse side for skinning).

If you are looking for an aviator's survival knife, consider a police or fireman's folding blade, which have a seatbelt-cutting design. I shy away from these only because I like to keep designs simple. As much as I admire a well-engineered fixed-blade...for survival purposes one might be better off with two tools: a very large folding knife (not much over 3.5 inches) and a camp axe.

Keep in mind that no matter how strong these knives are they are engineered to cut, NOT pry or hammer. Those tasks require a different tool.

With all that said, I like KISS knives, folding and fixed. It's hard to go wrong with a Spyderco, Kershaw or Smith & Wesson. And unless killing ppl is your profession, pretty much any utility knife will do for self-defense. :icon_wink

Zissou

Banned
And unless killing ppl is your profession, pretty much any utility knife will do for self-defense. :icon_wink

What if you become a battlefield pedestrian?

A knife is NOT a weapon. Its a tool that may be used as a weapon. If out of ammo, the E-Tool is far superior for making brain drip. Stabbing people is a highly effective way to cause death, Sadly internal hemorrage takes FOREVER, often they cant be saved on an OR table but still take forever to die.

Time and again beating someone with a kevlar, MBTR, or E Tool has been most effective for stopping the enemy. Once unconscious, you can inflict the death wounds.

There have been several documented cases out of the current conflict.

Stabbing a conscious person often results in accident self inflicted wounds. Its ill advised. Get them dazed with whatever hard object you can get your hands on then put the blade through the throat all the way out the spine.

Back on point, a basic field knife should NOT be a folder. It should be at least 6 inches in blade length and have a hard sheath. Its a utility tool and should be treated as such.

Yes, you should be able to fight with it.

But its the utility part that will save your life.

I understand that aircraft arent getting shot down like the 1940's in this war but there is still an awful possibility that shouldnt be taken lightly. Afghanistan is a big place filled with evil men who wish to do unspeakable things to aviators. If you havent read about Russian HIND pilots in the 80's? I suggest you read up. There are no tales of survivial. None.

http://www.horriganknives.com/

http://www.chrisreeve.com/greenberet.htm

http://www.rangerknives.com/Knives/index.html

The three above of great for ANYONE who may find themselves walking in woods or desert. I carried the Reeve GB for four years, and have a 6" Ranger on my kit today.

brownshoe

Contributor
Personally, if I owned a good knife I’d ruin it in no time. Plus, I’d probably cut off an appendage, or stab myself.:)

However, I was lucky enough to have known this old guy. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/14/AR2006021402058.html He lived up the road from me in the little town of Lime Kiln, before he moved to Braddock Mountain.

If you were “in the bush” during Nam, old Bill would make you a knife for next to nothing. (Look what they’re worth now.) He was a great old guy, very unassuming, and treated everyone the same.

If you read the article you’ll see the reference to “Damascus Steel.” I believe this is what Flash was talking about, a very great 'old' method for making a blade.

I didn’t mean to threadjack, I just thought you knife guys would find this an interesting read.

Steve