• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Knives

xmid

pilot
Contributor

You can get those already. I have several automatics that I got before I entered the navy. My mom even bought me one. Depends on the state and the company as to legalities of obtaining them. I'm guessing its a life prison sentence in California for having an automatic knife... Or a bayonet lug on your rifle seeing as how so many people are killed by these things everyday...:rolleyes:

If you want a persidio check out what your states laws are and then go to one of the many websites online that sell it and buy one.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I don't understand the need for military/LEO personnel to have an automatic folder.

I carry a mini-griptilian (BM556) every day in my pocket and it works great and the axis lock means it might as well be an automatic...is there some need that I have not been addressing for my last 7 years in the military?

(Off topic: Man, I f'ing love the Benchmade Mini-grip as an EDC. Light, good blade shape, good blade steel, good lock, good handle)
741047.jpg

callsignecho

Clock Spider
Assisted-opening knives are handy (and nicely intimidating in a bar fight) but unless you lack thumbs, most of the top-quality knife makers have one-hand designs that are so quick to open the difference is negligible.

DISCLAIMER: AGAIN, I have no expertise in the area of combat knives, but years hiking, camping, and in general living in the sticks. PLEASE don't reply with a rant about how that 3/16 of a second could save your life in hand-to-hand with an amphetamine-stoked insurgent. I really wouldn't know.

@HueyCobra8151: Benchmade makes a beautiful knife.

@Zissou: I feel more secure working with a fixed blade, too. However, a folding knife is a good way to keep from stabbing yourself while falling-I mean hiking-steep terrain, and anything larger than 6 inches would be difficult to conceal. For me, at least. [INSERT joke about where to conceal six inches HERE]

callsignecho

Clock Spider
Threadjack: I've heard fixed bayonets are illegal. When I tried to make that claim to someone else he basically said, "Define fixed." I mean, how do you affix a bayonet with out "fixing" it? Is the illegality of fixed bayonets an urban legend?

GroundPounder

Threadjack: I've heard fixed bayonets are illegal. When I tried to make that claim to someone else he basically said, "Define fixed." I mean, how do you affix a bayonet with out "fixing" it? Is the illegality of fixed bayonets an urban legend?

The answer that question is that it depends on where you are. While I don't know of a place off the top of my head where it would be illegal, I'm confident that somewhere it has been made a crime. My bet is that New York, California, and Mass. would be where it would be most likely to be verboten.

Maybe he meant that having an M7 or an M9 is ok; until you fix it thus making your rifle more scary looking.

red_ryder

None
+1 for Benchmade. I've got a 690 and it's probably the sweetest blade I've ever owned.

Also, I think I heard we can't carry fixed blade knives in our flight gear anymore because of ejection issues with piercing...things? :)