• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supreme Court to review Stolen Valor Act

exNavyOffRec

My brother in law was a Green Beret with 7th Group SF and got shot in the testicle while on deployment down there. Not sure if Jack Ryan was available for PR services, but apparently combat does happen . . .
I do know guys that did go down there, one of them is in my VFW post, but they had legit orders, what made me wonder about this other guy is he said they never go orders, never rec'd any extra pay, they could tell no one where they were going, and that one day they just left the base and then came back months later.

brownshoe

Contributor
Lawrence J Franks Jr
I was just being facetious. But what fun it'd be to have another "Skeeterman" type start posting here again!:)

Last edited:

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, but I don't think that's the question Rob was asking. I think he was asking if the USAFA ever had a track that would commission guys directly as JO astronauts NOT if they had a degree that might be useful for guys on their astronaut application.

It's like saying Harvard has a "US President" track.

Yes, they have the most Presidents, but it doesn't mean they have a major in it.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I was just being facetious. But what fun it'd be to have another "Skeeterman" type start posting here again!:)
Who is (was) Skeeterman?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Actually this begs a deeper question...If Space Force were to create an ROTC program would the participants be known as "Space Cadets?"
CZahAdtAsPq6jtLzKQ9ZdDNgpg3Cr4OrZ4gcXqxNeJVKr45zC5f9wPhR7a-u3CHJS-oCcdp4UcgNkqS0g6cymOnp_VNskBHNbWkRh47B72J0YupDx--NV7h84rCvCvEqMwg

19297880.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
They might also consider going SELRES in order to have a decent shot at O4. Lots of stories of aviation types who made O4 in the reserves after 2xFOS on AD.

I guess it comes down to, would you rather have an AD pension at E6 or a Reserve pension at O4?
I think you'd still get an O3 ACDU retirement. Just your high three wouldn't be at the end of your career. There were some priors my YG who got 2xFOS who were faced with a similar scenario.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
At least one of my sim instructors at T-6 PIT (AF FITU) did an entire 20 year career in the AF air training command. He was really old, though.

brownshoe

Contributor
Never mind...I failed to use the Search function. The shame is almost unbearable.
I shoulda, coulda posted this:

and this:

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
There has never been a short shot to the astronaut program. It has always required exceptional pilot expertise (TPS) and/or exceptional academic record. There is no short cut. They don't select people out of high school for the astronaut program.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
would they stay instructors for their entire service obligation? if so then maybe the guy was legit but just arrogant lol

FAIPs are studs that did well and fly as an IP their first full tour post flight school. After those 3-4 years they compete for a platform and head out to the fleet. I’ve never heard of anyone doing an entire career as a FAIP.