• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supreme Court to review Stolen Valor Act

Pags

N/A
pilot
My brother in law was a Green Beret with 7th Group SF and got shot in the testicle while on deployment down there. Not sure if Jack Ryan was available for PR services, but apparently combat does happen . . .
Yeah, there are for sure some legit secret squirrel things going on in the world...not sure if the guys who really did that stuff would want to use that experience to join the VFW.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
My brother in law was a Green Beret with 7th Group SF and got shot in the testicle while on deployment down there. Not sure if Jack Ryan was available for PR services, but apparently combat does happen . . .
I might have lied about that part of my service

Hair Warrior

Contributor
There are definitely some squirrely things out there. Don’t auto-reject every story. I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you report myself. ?

That said, things like “I turned down O5 bc I didn’t want to go to war college” ring somewhat hollow. More likely, someone told him “if you want to get picked up for O5 you should go get JPME II” and the guy didn’t want to do that, and then got 2xFOS for O5. I do know an Army O3 Apache pilot who claims to have turned down O4 twice then separated bc he didn’t want to stop flying.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There are definitely some squirrely things out there. Don’t auto-reject every story. I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you report myself. ?

That said, things like “I turned down O5 bc I didn’t want to go to war college” ring somewhat hollow. More likely, someone told him “if you want to get picked up for O5 you should go get JPME II” and the guy didn’t want to do that, and then got 2xFOS for O5. I do know an Army O3 Apache pilot who claims to have turned down O4 twice then separated bc he didn’t want to stop flying.
There's usually a lot more personal ego management than truth in the those type of stories.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Under the heading of “Believe it or Not” - Military Version - years ago I served with an “elderly” Staff Sergeant in the Marines who had been an F-4 pilot (and officer) who was prone to drink and trouble. Still he did well enough in Vietnam that somehow they got him into the ranks to finish out his retirement 20. He was a cool dude, just there marking his time and doing his job.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Under the heading of “Believe it or Not” - Military Version - years ago I served with an “elderly” Staff Sergeant in the Marines who had been an F-4 pilot (and officer) who was prone to drink and trouble. Still he did well enough in Vietnam that somehow they got him into the ranks to finish out his retirement 20. He was a cool dude, just there marking his time and doing his job.
So did he wear gold wings on his Marine SSgt uniform? And did he have to resign his commission to enlist?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So did he wear gold wings on his Marine SSgt uniform? And did he have to resign his commission to enlist?
He wore his wings when in Class B uniform or above but never in his cammies (yes, we called them cammies back then). I really don’t know about the admin side of his story beyond the fact that he was a hard corps drinker (he told me that himself) and that what got him in trouble. I sometimes think he might have been prior enlisted but I don’t know for sure.

OscarMyers

None
He wore his wings when in Class B uniform or above but never in his cammies (yes, we called them cammies back then). I really don’t know about the admin side of his story beyond the fact that he was a hard corps drinker (he told me that himself) and that what got him in trouble. I sometimes think he might have been prior enlisted but I don’t know for sure.
There's some guys I did STA-21 with staring this decision down the barrel. NDAA for the year we selected made time in the program not count towards TIS for retirement which is effecting some folks that wont quite make sanctuary after a 2xFOS. So if it doesn't get changed, these guys are talking about having to revert to their last enlisted pay grade to finish up their time to 20.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
There's some guys I did STA-21 with staring this decision down the barrel. NDAA for the year we selected made time in the program not count towards TIS for retirement which is effecting some folks that wont quite make sanctuary after a 2xFOS. So if it doesn't get changed, these guys are talking about having to revert to their last enlisted pay grade to finish up their time to 20.
They might also consider going SELRES in order to have a decent shot at O4. Lots of stories of aviation types who made O4 in the reserves after 2xFOS on AD.

I guess it comes down to, would you rather have an AD pension at E6 or a Reserve pension at O4?