• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Hornet question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade One

None
Is the Super Hornet great in its secondary role air superiority? [more questions…] Any body willing to answer?
As a legacy "VF" guy (who you might think would have a different opinion), I think I disagree with your perception that air-to-air is somehow a "secondary role" for the Hornet. It's a "multi-role" strike/fighter that excels at both…unless some Hornet folks want to re-cage my gyro. I'd be surprised at that...

As ea6bflyr said, it might be challenged in the old-fashioned guns-only "knife fight in a phone booth" arena, but the whole purpose of the technology (system, weapons and aircraft/crew combination) and modern tactics is to never have to find out.

Also consider this, to date, there are only 14 SU-35s (and 17 SU-27M) built. The US has built more than 500 Super Hornets (E - Single Seat & F - Two Seat) variants.

^^^ This too…quantity has a quality all of its own...

As a legacy "VF" guy (who you might think would have a different opinion), I think I disagree with your perception that air-to-air is somehow a "secondary role" for the Hornet. It's a "multi-role" strike/fighter that excels at both…unless some Hornet folks want to re-cage my gyro. I'd be surprised at that...

As ea6bflyr said, it might be challenged in the old-fashioned guns-only "knife fight in a phone booth" arena, but the whole purpose of the technology (system, weapons and aircraft/crew combination) and modern tactics is to never have to find out.

^^^ This too…quantity has a quality all of its own...
With the money the USA spent on the ~182 or so F-22s, we could have purchased over a thousand F-16s (if my back of the envelope math is correct). Just a fun fact.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
With the money the USA spent on the ~182 or so F-22s, we could have purchased over a thousand block 30ish F-16s (if my back of the envelope math is correct). Just a fun fact.
Fixed it for ya. Block 60+ Vipers are as costly as Super Hornets. Why spend 80% of the money for 50% of the capability?

Plus block 30s are like Lot X-XII Hornets. Why would we spend that much money for "old" tech?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I don't know the answer to your questions, so here's a funny comic.

svs-first.jpg

(Skids beat both)

USNavyForce2001

Thread has gone very off topic. Is this a joke? Is this how this forum works? Asking a question and suddenly goes viral acting like idiots? No way, i'm sorry but i should've never posted here in the Aviation section. :(

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
TAsking a question and suddenly goes viral acting like idiots?

Nothing like a dogpile to start off the 4th of July 96.

Maybe CO's should start including these in their safety briefs in order to prevent future carpal tunnel injuries due to excessive typing on AWs. Food for thought for your future command Brett ;)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thread has gone very off topic. Is this a joke? Is this how this forum works? Asking a question and suddenly goes viral acting like idiots? No way, i'm sorry but i should've never posted here in the Aviation section. :(

Well, you got something right.

If you posted the question in the proper forum using proper language you may have received a decent answer. But you didn't do that. I fully expected you to ask what the frequency range for the power coupler on the jiggymcwhooserwhatsit in the APG 92 radar next.

Sorry dude. You sound genuine to me. I would answer your questions, but I don't have the answers.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the deal Mark: you come to a forum full of guys that fly the almighty F/A-18 and set the trap with a question that if answered properly, could be classified. No Hornet guy is going to take the bait and say yeah or nay. There's the plain and simple truth.

That is why several of us have said "Are you serious?" I tried to answer your question honestly and others do not have the answers you seek or won't answer your question. One way to avoid answering a question is to answer with humor. Again couple this with your self reported foreign country of origin...and it spooks most of us.

If you do not like the answer, then I'd ask you to find another forum that may entertain your question....good luck.

Renegade One

None
Well, your profile page says you've only been a member for two days…probably not long enough for you to form/voice exceptionally strong opinions about how everything ought to work here. Stick around…you ain't seen NUTHIN' yet...

Seriously, I (for one) am certainly leery of anyone who asks a whole laundry list of "this vs. that" (weapons, engines, etc.) mission-effectiveness comparison questions. You've received about as much info as you're likely to get, I think.

Not bad questions…just not the place to discuss details in the depth/fidelity you might like.

Status
Not open for further replies.