• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Training

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
This may be a farse, But.... My recruiter told me it may be possible to go to OCS in the summer while in BDCP. You just don't get your commission until after you graduate from the university. Is this false? If it was true, its a big gamble, just incase you get roled back for a dumb reason.

Anyone have the real answer?

:)

Sounds like Marine Corps PLC to me. Nothing like that in the Navy, from what I have seen.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Something else you can do is just ask your recruiter to visit Officers in your community. Today, I spent the day with the Supply department. I spoke with the FSO, DISBO, and the DH about the community, ate in the Wardroom, toured the ship. I got a lot of invaluable info about the Supply community and what is expected of me. Great guys all around. They gave me their contact info and said so long as I give a heads up, I'm welcomed to come back and hang out.

mrkoje

This may be a farse, But.... My recruiter told me it may be possible to go to OCS in the summer while in BDCP. You just don't get your commission until after you graduate from the university. Is this false? If it was true, its a big gamble, just incase you get roled back for a dumb reason.

Anyone have the real answer?

:)

You can do that in the Marines but I'm pretty sure you can't in the Navy.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I have had the same problem, being bored waiting to finish up school with the BDCP. I tried to get into some sort of job related training in the Navy while waiting to head off to OCS, my recruiter said the only thing he could get for me to do was work in the recruiting station till I ship off(no navy bases around my part of TN).
On a plus side since the rest of my family is Army I have had a chance to go flying in the jump seat with the 160th a couple times. The only legal requirement I was made aware of was,that I have to be in the military(which BDCP does for me) and I had to have dog tags.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
As BDCP applicant, should be hearing something back to day or tomorrow.. Anyway, this thread has answered a lot of question I have been pondering. I def. wish there was a NROTC school I could have been involved in when I first started college, now just transferring to a school with I believe applicable nrotc school near by, I believe that as a junior it would be to late to run the nrotc route. <-- That is just an assumption. Either way most likely I'll know if I'm picked up for BDCP SNA by tomorrow and I will proudly run that route representing the navy and putting a nice paycheck in the bank till I graduate.
The "hang out" idea I what I was going to shoot for if selected at just anywhere near by or on trips over the summer. My OR has given me little to no Information regarding any activities I could take advantage of while a part of the bdcp program.
Either way, I'm a junior in college and very interested in learning what I could take part in till I hit OCS and these post have been very informative.
Thanks.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
On a plus side since the rest of my family is Army I have had a chance to go flying in the jump seat with the 160th a couple times. The only legal requirement I was made aware of was,that I have to be in the military(which BDCP does for me) and I had to have dog tags.
Bluesig1
Thats was something that I was looking at doing, just getting dogtags made with all the right information. I saw on another thread where a TN bdcp guy got up in the area a few times with a guard squad. in Kentucky.

navy09

None
Have you thought about hooking up with some other OCS-bound guys (Navy or any other service) in your area? Seems like at the very least you could get a PT group going. Plus, if you wanted to arrange a ship/squadron/base tour, a command would be more likely to work with you if it were for a group of future OCS'ers vice just one guy.

torpedo0126

Zab,

I found out through my detailer that I will have to talk to OD about getting a slot for jump school. Its not impossible, but it is high unlikely. Apparently my chances go up a lot after 01 OCT because thats the new fiscal year.

However, what about dive school (SCUBA qual). I would prefer jump because its shorter, but scuba would be just as good. I KNOW that has been done in the past. Would being an officer help at all (sorry to be vain)?

The webpage has application information. Think I could work it out? I was going to call Monday.

Thanks,
B

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, since you have nothing in your profile about where you are in the pipeline, it's even more difficult to guess at your chances.

If you know for sure this has been done by someone in your situation, please share the story.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Has anyone ever heard of stashed OC's hooking up with a ROTC unit and going on CORTRAMID?

torpedo0126

sorry...I am currently a stash ENS. I don't report to API/IFS until Nov. So I have a lot of time of doing nothing.

I've never heard of any stash ENS going to jump, but dive school I know two people who have. They both were sub guys however. The dive and salvage homepage offers an application process, but I don't know how that works for stashed JOs. I plan on calling both my detailer and dive school Monday.

I would do unspeakable things to be able to go to jump. Similar with dive, but I am somewhat nervous as to what the attrition rate is.

Any more thoughts or advice?