• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Internships

Status
Not open for further replies.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
OK guys.... we all need something to do during the summer... who has summer internships and where are they?

I have an OK internship at Navy Research Labs in DC doing sea-survivability research.

DairyCreamer

Cool,

I'm doing Navy-funded research at the Univ of Colorado for palladium gas membranes in the hopes of advancing the science of hydrogen gas purification.

~Nate

CLAM97to99

I don't do my internship until the fall but I have a great one lined up working as an assistant project superintendent for a construction company in my home town. I wish I could do one for the CEC.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Working at an engineering contracting firm this summer. We do work with a bunch of architect firms, other engineering firms and construction companies. I'm working in the electrical engineering department. I really enjoy the time I spend there.

Bob

pineapplehead

BDCP Crypto, OCS - July 9, 2005
I'm working in system administration at AMD in Austin (they make Athlon processors). Good money, interesting work, fun people.

R_mojo1

BDCP-CEC, OCS June 05, 05
If you are doing an internship during spring or fall semester, do you have to maintain full time status at school?? Or can you just say that you are doing an internship during this time.

The problem I have is that on my last semester I only have one engineering class left = 1 credit hr. and I don't want to take 11 hrs of Bull...t classes.

Can I drop a request saying that I prefer to do an internship instead of 11 hrs of crap??

CLAM97to99

If your doing BDCP you have to be full time in the fall and winter semesters. I got turned down for BDCP because I am only part time during the fall (2 credits) even though I am going full time during the summer.

R_mojo1

Yes, I am BDCP. But I was wondering if there is a way around full time on the spring/fall. Like I said, I only have one hour left on the spring, and it would be great to have an internship instead of fill up classes.

USMC-2-USN

primary...i hate FORMs
I have been interning part time at TVA's nuclear plants as a performance analysis engineer since i got selected for BDCP in 2002 (SNA).

I have been a full time student continuously also and last semester i only had 2 engineering classes to take for graduation requirements...i tried to do internship credits and independant study but the OPO said every class had to be a graded "official" class. I ended up taking another engineering elective (advanced fluid dynamics) and some bull**** scuba class to make myself full-time. So to answer your question...no you can't take 11 hours of internship to satisfy BDCP requirements

R_mojo1

This is bull****... I cannot believe that the Navy wants us to take dumb classes instead of getting some real life experience as engineers in the private industry. I can get an internship supervising the largest construction project in the North Texas area. This is a $2.5 Billion dollar project. I will check with my accessions officer to see what he has to say about this.

CLAM97to99

When you applied for BCDP you had to fill out a list of all the classes you needed to take to grad and to verify that you'll be full time in the fall and winter. And if you decviate from that i hear they get pretty mad and you can get your A$$ chewed out. but if you can get away with it more power to you. All I really know is they wouldn't let me do BDCP because I have to do my Internship in the fall and won't be going to school full time (even though I am required to work full time).

manny7_99

:icon_boun HEY! I tbink Mcdonalds is offering some for the summer, flexible ours and everything...you dont even have to do much. :icon_boun

R_mojo1

What I plan to do is screw it... That will be my last semester, and by the time they get my transcripts, they will also get my diploma, then they will realize that is not necessary to make such a deal anymore. If they chew my ass off, no big deal. I have to get prepared for OCS anyway.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I know that for some areas of the Navy it might me helpful to get an engineering internship, but why would you need it if you fly. Unless you need it to graduate the Navy is basically paying full time to sit on our ass and go to class. Unless someone plans on doing something else after the Navy, other than the field they were involved in (talking mainly to Nuke and Pilots), why would you bother to get an internship. Don't dog Basket weaving, I always found it helpful to have a cake class (mainly the P.E. ones, I took "Awesome Abs" last semester and this is going to be "Competitive Basketball", I plan on taking scuba later). It gives you a break from those upperdivision courses.

R_mojo1

See... I already work full time, so basically I'm double dipping <BDCP + my Job$> but I can have my boss write me a letter stating that I will be doing an internship for the company. This will give me a huge break dring the spring, considering that I have been working full time and going full to school for 4 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.