• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Cruises

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Did your buddy get a specific squadron or just CVW5? Either way sounds like he will be joining us for our summer cruise.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Lemoore is my home of record... Its a great place not for where its at, but its close relationship to other big places; 3 hours away from Monterey, San Fran, and LA, 6 hours away from Vegas and San Diego.

The mids last summer rented a van and took a trip to Monterey, those who didn't go on the trip went with Flying Club on base which was equal to their weight in pennies.

The sims were always open to midshipmen who were allowed to schedule times like anyone else, or just walk in and ask if anything was open, and if not hit the LCT. We had no idea about crew concept the first few times we flew, but after a while you developed that maverick and goose relationship (whoa hew blew right past us, o rly, ya rly, no wai!)

The O'Club was open on Wednesdays, really cool place, learned how to play crud with the pukin dogs, and got leadership and career advice from an awesome DCAG, smoked my first cigar (which wasn't so awesome), pissed off all of VFA-22, got dragged fighting from the o'club to the O'Club pool, then dragged random LT's that were laughing at our helplessness in (watch out they DO bite).

All this came between the joy of being issued the flight suit, getting your gear and walking out to flight line with all your prepubescent fantasies about to come true... and then coming down with a "call sign" and something of an ego. Yeah, Lemoore is a pretty cool place.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
lowflier03 said:
Did your buddy get a specific squadron or just CVW5? Either way sounds like he will be joining us for our summer cruise.
Generally you find out your individual squadron after you report in to the command that is hosting you, at Lemoore You checked in at CSFWP said hi to the CSO and CO, and then the folks in OPS would divy up the mids, between the squadrons.

Oh yeah, at lemoore your guarenteed Hornets, and sometimes other squadrons will sponser you and let you fly in supers if your in a legacy squadron. Hope for one of the FRS's, guarenteed flights, AVERAGE of 7.

ROUGH RAIDERS! YEAH!

WEGL

Nomar116 said:
My roommate will be going to CVW5 at NAF Atsugi, Japan between 30 May and 25 Jun.

Anyone know anything about either locales?

Atsugi is awesome. He'll most likely be hanging out with the HSL-51 Warlords... (unless they've made the HMS transition already?) He'll definitely get stick time in the helos (60B and 60F) which is awesome. We also asked the skipper if we could do SAR jumps and fly in the jets and he said "Sure, why not." We were able to fly in the S-3 and 18F as well, but I believe the S-3s have moved out of there...?
Like I've said already, if you want to do something all you really have to do is ask.
Don't get tricked into climbing Mt. Fuji. There aren't beautiful Japanese women (with straight teeth) up there giving 'full' body massages... really though, don't. Go to Roponggi again instead, that's where you'll have good time... you'll have to PM for more details about that one though. Atsugi's a guaranteed good time. :D

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I know some of the mids are coming to us in HS-14, so I'm sure they will get some flight time during cruise. Also there are no more S-3's out here. Though there are hornets, prowlers, P-3's and of course the helos... I actually did my aviation cruise with HSL-51 and loved it. If your friend is assigned to CVW-5 though, he wont be going to 51. They are not part of the Air Wing. Also for Roppongi....that place was an awesome time when I was here as a mid. Unfortunately things have been toned down lately. With the recent happenings, there is a 0100 curfew in effect for all military personnel. Luckily there is still a ton of fun stuff to do.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
lowflier03 said:
If your friend is assigned to CVW-5 though, he wont be going to 51. They are not part of the Air Wing. Also for Roppongi....that place was an awesome time when I was here as a mid. Unfortunately things have been toned down lately. With the recent happenings, there is a 0100 curfew in effect for all military personnel.

hey ... You are forgetting about mighty Det 3 (your fellow rotorheads on Kitty Hawk), they are a part of CVW5 underway. And just to clarify, the curfew (and the other asinine liberty policies) only applies to TF70, not shore commands, not the to air force.

ghost

NROTCMemTIGER

I'm also going to CVW 5 for my 1/C cruise this summer but im meeting them in singapore and leaving out of australia.....should be a good time!!! From what I read I hope i can get some stick time in any type of plane.
Steve

Nomar116

pilot
So CVW 5 will be underway at some point this summer? My roommate doesn't know any of those details, all we were given were the dates which were written above. Either way it sounds like he's going to be having tons of fun. He actually turned down the "guaranteed" F18 cruise in Lemoore b/c he knew I was gunning for it; it'd be awesome if he ended up at one anyways.

Hey there Raptorman what is an FRS squadron?? I'd love to get a squadron with an AVERAGE of 7 flights!!!

Like I said I did everything I could to "request" Lemoore (which btw, you pretty much CAN'T request I was told) so I got very LUCKY. Are you or anyone else on here currently stationed in Lemoore? As I said my number 1 is looking for the best way to get some flights b/c that is definately one of those BIGGEST dreams. Since that's looking pretty promising I guess I can get greedy and start asking about the bars, etc.

I've been on alot of cruises but never been to an O-club; is that on or off base?? Gosh, so many questions. Maybe I should just wait and see but screw that, that's what this website's for.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Nomar116 said:
So CVW 5 will be underway at some point this summer? My roommate doesn't know any of those details, all we were given were the dates which were written above. Either way it sounds like he's going to be having tons of fun. He actually turned down the "guaranteed" F18 cruise in Lemoore b/c he knew I was gunning for it; it'd be awesome if he ended up at one anyways.

Hey there Raptorman what is an FRS squadron?? I'd love to get a squadron with an AVERAGE of 7 flights!!!

Like I said I did everything I could to "request" Lemoore (which btw, you pretty much CAN'T request I was told) so I got very LUCKY. Are you or anyone else on here currently stationed in Lemoore? As I said my number 1 is looking for the best way to get some flights b/c that is definately one of those BIGGEST dreams. Since that's looking pretty promising I guess I can get greedy and start asking about the bars, etc.

I've been on alot of cruises but never been to an O-club; is that on or off base?? Gosh, so many questions. Maybe I should just wait and see but screw that, that's what this website's for.
A Fleet Replenishment Squadron (formerly known as a Replacement Air Group or RAG), is where you do initial training for your specific platform after you have earned your wings, so its a real cross-section of talent from across the navy, from newly winged ensigns, to grizzled LSO's (Landing Safety Officers) all great guys, with lots of gouge. There are two at Lemoore, VFA-125 (for legacy hornets) and VFA-122 (for super hornets). Although being attached to a squadron is still great. Make sure if you do anything (other than flying) offer to help out the LSO at the shack esp. at night. Learning that shorthand (H-IM TMP-IC) and watching those guys pull those planes from the air, and then listening to the debriefs, makes you work harder when you get back to school.

The O-Club, is on base, a hop skip and a jump from the BOQ you will be staying at; Picture Top Gun without the "target rich environment" and flight suits (all different colors) instead of whites. GOOD TIMES!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
lowflier03 said:
Actually, unless the Kitty breaks, CVW-5 will be underway forever.

I know a lot of this stuff isn't exactly a state secret, but that's probably as detailed a description as we need for now.

NROTCMemTIGER

They gave me all the ports and dates of the CVW 5 this summer, I didn't think it would be to wise to post them up here. I also was offered Lemoore, but I'll take a aviation afloat cruise anyday.

Take Care,
Steve