• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sully agrees with A4s . . .

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Adjusted for inflation, regional pilots flying 50-90 set jets today make less money than those flying 20-30 seat turboprops in the 1980s.

In the late '80s, before I made it to the Show, I flew Beech 1900s, BAE Jetstreams, and Shorts 360s. As a Jetstream guy I made as much as most Saab or ATR guys today. As a Shorts 360 pilot I made nearly as much as a regional jet guy does today 20 years later. And those weren't union wages, or adjusted for inflation. Still, we bitched ;).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What is it, career or passion?

What is everyone suggesting? Government intervention (legislation) or ..........
How do we control a free market and not infringe on the attributes of said market?
Spoken like a true novice on the subject .... and we've been down this road many, many times .... as just about the only thing in the airlines that IS "free market" are the fares (ultimately driven by costs - so not truly 'free' market) and wages & salaries paid to employees .... transportation in general and the airlines in particular arguably being the most heavily regulated of industries in the U.S. Of course, that all comes w/ huge airline-specific taxes and unfunded govt. mandates and all their associated fees & costs which get passed on to the consumer ... as nothing in this ol' world is "free".

'Free' market?? The U.S. airlines?? I think not ...

Clux4

Banned
Spoken like a true novice on the subject .... and we've been down this road many, many times .... as just about the only thing in the airlines that IS "free market" are the fares (ultimately driven by costs - so not truly 'free' market) and wages & salaries paid to employees .... transportation in general and the airlines in particular arguably being the most heavily regulated of industries in the U.S. Of course, that all comes w/ huge airline-specific taxes and unfunded govt. mandates and all their associated fees & costs which get passed on to the consumer ... as nothing in this ol' world is "free".

'Free' market?? The U.S. airlines?? I think not ...

It was an attempt to stir the pot!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It was an attempt to stir the pot!!

repeat quote: " .... and we've been down this road many, many times ..."

Saaaaaaaay ... the post count on this thread is currently "747" .... nobody touch it now ... nobody touch it .... :D

MasterBates

Actually, it's the VIEWs that's 747.. So as soon as someone looks in, it changes.

And yes, I was the kid who drove Ole' Man Tracy next door NUTS. :D

Between the band practices, dirtbikes and the occasional mushroom cloud erupting from my workshop he probably though moving in next to my parents was a bad idea... At least until I left for college. :icon_smil

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What is it (flying), career or passion?

If you're getting paid = it's a job. A GREAT job, to be sure ... but still a job.

It CAN be an "adventure", too .... military or civilian ... it depends on your attitude, how you 'work' it, and a good deal of 'luck' at times .... but at the end of the line when you set the parking brakes on that final-final; it's been a job.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In the late '80s, before I made it to the Show, I flew Beech 1900s, BAE Jetstreams, and Shorts 360s. As a Jetstream guy I made as much as most Saab or ATR guys today. As a Shorts 360 pilot I made nearly as much as a regional jet guy does today 20 years later. And those weren't union wages, or adjusted for inflation. Still, we bitched ;).
I made more money as a 2nd year 19 seat Twin Otter Captain flying the Grand Canyon then 3 or 4 year RJ Captains flying at regionals. They laughed at me for flying a turboprop. I laughed at their paycheck.

1999-2000:
1st year flying the Grand Canyon - $40k, 2nd year Grand Canyon Captain - $65k (typically made Captain in 1st year)
1st year flying for a regional - $16k, 3rd year regional Captain - $60k (assuming you got to the left seat in 3 years - unlikely)
I did the math. I chose the beat up Otter instead of the shiney jet.