• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suggestions for improving 1 1/2 mile time

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I scored well in the sit ups (98 in 2 min) and push ups (71 1:10 min, then my legs gave out cause my quads were tired from sit ups lol) categories; however, I ran the 1 1/2 mile in 10:20. I did pass so I'm not going to take it over again; but, I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on improving my distance running so if I do get selected I can do well in OCS. I play soccer (goalkeeper, this explains my lack of speed in terms of long distance) for Cal Poly's Club team and the morning of my PRT I had practice. So that could have had something to do with it. Anyways, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have to ask what I think is an obvious question, why do you need to get better with your 'distance' running? You got a pretty good time on the run and you pass it with plenty of time, so why the concern? I am just curious, I have never heard of anyone disparaging a run time of 10:20, unless you plan on joining the Marines.

JTB7

Advice solely on making your run time faster:
Our track coach makes us faster by 'workout days' where you push yourself and run 4 laps, 3 laps, 2 laps and 1 lap timed with rest in between. We vary our workouts, like this last week we did 2 laps, 1 lap, 1 lap, 1 lap, 1 lap, 1 lap and 2 laps. This helps build endurance and speed. After the 'workout' days you have 'recovery' days where you jog for 30-60 minutes. This increased my 1.5 mile time from 9 minutes to 8 minutes 20 seconds in a couple weeks. If that doesn't work, you can try sprinting 100 meters, slow jog 100 meters, sprint 100 meters, jog 100 meters to get a kick at the end, and improve your time.

I have to ask what I think is an obvious question, why do you need to get better with your 'distance' running? You got a pretty good time on the run and you pass it with plenty of time, so why the concern? I am just curious, I have never heard of anyone disparaging a run time of 10:20, unless you plan on joining the Marines.

Nice

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

I would have to agree Flash on this one. I got a 10:33 on the out PRT of NSI and I was pumped. I would be pretty happy with a your current time.

Ufoz8mycow

Awesome.
The 1.5 mile for my Navy application was a cakewalk... Running the 3 mile for the Marine application? Sucked.

How to get faster? Run. A lot. Until you puke. Then run some more. One day youll wake up and have a decent PRT score.

/end thread.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
The 1.5 mile for my Navy application was a cakewalk... Running the 3 mile for the Marine application? Sucked.

How to get faster? Run. A lot. Until you puke. Then run some more. One day youll wake up and have a decent PRT score.

/end thread.

LOL. as a highschool cross-country runner, that's exactly what i've been saying on this forum, but it was a VERY UNPOPULAR opinion! :( not going to get better at running long distances unless you do a lot of running of even LONGER distances.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL. as a highschool cross-country runner, that's exactly what i've been saying on this forum, but it was a VERY UNPOPULAR opinion! :( not going to get better at running long distances unless you do a lot of running of even LONGER distances.

Not necessarily as it depends on the distance you're training for and who the person is. For me personally, I've run two half marathons and in training for them, I did lots of long runs, but did not do as many sprint workouts as I would normally do in preparation for the race. Both semesters I did them my PRT times slowed down. For 1.5 miles, you don't need to out running ridiculous distances, just a good mix of long runs and sprints. You are right saying, however, you should be pushing the hell out of yourself. My philosophy is if I'm puking that means I was trying :D

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Not necessarily as it depends on the distance you're training for and who the person is. For me personally, I've run two half marathons and in training for them, I did lots of long runs, but did not do as many sprint workouts as I would normally do in preparation for the race. Both semesters I did them my PRT times slowed down. For 1.5 miles, you don't need to out running ridiculous distances, just a good mix of long runs and sprints. You are right saying, however, you should be pushing the hell out of yourself. My philosophy is if I'm puking that means I was trying :D
If I saw anybody, let along some chick running down the road, puke, then starting running again, I'm not sure what I would do. I'm as crazy as the next Marine, but I have never made myself puke when running alone. I've had enough of others making me puke, I don't need to do it on my own anymore.

It is a good sign of workin your arse off, or maybe you should just run before breakfast.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

i was actually referring to the 3mi PFT (marines) since that was what Ufoz was referring to. you're right that 1.5mi is not very long and you don't need to train too hard to do 1.5mi. ppl who are completely out of shape can do it (i used to see that all the time in the PE classes I took in middle school! LOL)

the marine 3mi is close to highschool x-country distance (5km = 3.1mi) and that is just long enough to be considered long distance running.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
If I saw anybody, let along some chick running down the road, puke, then starting running again, I'm not sure what I would do. I'm as crazy as the next Marine, but I have never made myself puke when running alone. I've had enough of others making me puke, I don't need to do it on my own anymore.

It is a good sign of workin your arse off, or maybe you should just run before breakfast.

the art is to not stop to puke but just turn your head... LOL. :p

you should see some high school x-country races, esp. regional or state championship. you'll see a lot of puking ;)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I think I've actually only barfed during the workout and kept going once- it was during a morning PRT when I woke up feeling like shit. For some reason if I'm running hard, once I stop I get really nauseous, even though during the run I'm feeling fine. I barfed at the end of both half marathons I've run, for example, though my stomach felt fine during the whole thing.

Amall

I would like to mention the benefits of lifting on your legs to improve your run time as well. Squats, leg press, leg extension, hamstring curls, walking lunges. but if you play soccer you are probably doing all this anyway. Of course, you don't want to kill yourself with excessive weight but, you'll be surprised at the improvement in your time if you hit the weights.

Any types of plyometric or interval stuff you can do for example:

Plyo: wind sprints, ladders/suicides, etc.

Interval: Sprinkling some 50 meter sprints during your 3-4 mile run (about every 4-5 min)

Also, personally, what I like to do for my speed work when I'm indoors is as follows:

7 minute warm-up- moderate pace (6.0), incline at 2.0
30 second sprint- pace (8.0), incline 8.0
10 second rest- feet off treadmill, on sides
30 second sprint- pace 8.0, incline 8.0
Do this for about 20 minutes, including the 7 minute warm-up. I like to do this twice a week in addition to longer runs outside on the other days, if i'm training for something like you are for the PRT. The key is mixing it up.