• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suggestions for improving 1 1/2 mile time

xgrafcorex

Someone screwed up somewhere. The 500 yard swim is not required for commissioning, let alone for entry to OCS. The swim qual required at OCS is:
-Swim 50 meters using any stroke
-Tread for 5 minutes
-Jump off a 15 foot platform
-"Drown proofing," which they teach you there.

You can do the swim as an OPTION once you are commissioned, but afaik for the in-PRT at OCS you will be running. So you only have to run OR swim.

thanks for the info. saw the other thread as well. do you know where i can find the specifics of this? if they are mixed up on something, i'd like to be able to try and clear things up as best as i can. no offense meant at all, but it would be good to find an official statement of this so i don't have to say to them "someone on an internet forum told me.." :icon_tong thanks again, i appreciate the help. it's definitely confusing for people new to process..it seems even the recruiters down in the miami area were on a different page than the ones i met with in tampa. (met with both because i began the process in south east florida and then moved. i've moved again since then and should be completing the process with a recruiter in st. louis.)

bb1125

None
one thing i did was to do the run first. i have to admit that i was very out of shape before i started working out in preparation for the PRT. the first time i met up with the recruiter to give it a go, i didn't pass. :( that time, i did the sit-ups, then push-ups, and finally the run. i was a bit worn out and didn't have the energy for the run. next time, i did the run first and passed the test just fine.

That's not a very smart way to train. The only way an official PRT will be conducted IAW the instruction is curl ups, push ups, run. If you're not training in that order, it's going to hurt you on game day. Train like you fight.;)

xgrafcorex

That's not a very smart way to train. The only way an official PRT will be conducted IAW the instruction is curl ups, push ups, run. If you're not training in that order, it's going to hurt you on game day. Train like you fight.;)

that is good advice. i didn't mean work out that way, just that when i took and passed the PRT..that is how i did it. it was actually the recruiters idea.

bb1125

None
that is good advice. i didn't mean work out that way, just that when i took and passed the PRT..that is how i did it. it was actually the recruiters idea.
And my point was, you'll never have an official PRT ran in that order. So...if you only passed it backwards, do you thing the recruiter actually helped you?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
And my point was, you'll never have an official PRT ran in that order. So...if you only passed it backwards, do you thing the recruiter actually helped you?
Just pass it when you have to. That is all you have to do in the fleet....just don't let a fat/smoking skipper beat you on the run.

xgrafcorex

he helped me pass it at the time. however, i don't think it would've mattered which order i took it that time. i can pass it either way now, that's just the way i did it once. it's a non-issue.

of course practicing something they way you have to do it is the best. i'm just relating to the OP in that my first go at the PRT resulted in a weaker run..then when i did the run first, it wasn't a problem.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I do long sprints (like quarter mile or half mile) when I'm looking to improve my prt runs. I tried the distance running thing, and all it did is make me less tired when I finished; it didn't improve my time that much, but I'm a shitty runner to start with. Being able to swim it in the fleet has been a gift.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I scored well in the sit ups (98 in 2 min) and push ups (71 1:10 min, then my legs gave out cause my quads were tired from sit ups lol) categories; however, I ran the 1 1/2 mile in 10:20. I did pass so I'm not going to take it over again; but, I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on improving my distance running so if I do get selected I can do well in OCS. I play soccer (goalkeeper, this explains my lack of speed in terms of long distance) for Cal Poly's Club team and the morning of my PRT I had practice. So that could have had something to do with it. Anyways, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

PT with us Cal Poly Marine Candidates

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know of any run clubs that meet a few times a week in the Pensacola area?

The McGuires run club is pretty fun. The course is a little longer than a 5K, but the route is very scenic. It's also one of the few places where you can go in Pensacola and see a bunch of hot women without fear of catching ghonosyphiherpilaids if they breathe on you. Oh, and the best part- after your sixth run, they give you a nifty T-shirt!

They meet in the parking lot at Mcguires (if you don't know where that is, use google maps.) Be there around 1745, the run starts at 8. Rain or shine. It's just once a week, though.

chet

I didn't really have the time to read thru each of the above so I hope I'm not being too redundant...I have a rough time with the run and it has only become harder with age. I'm 31 and it doesn't seem anywhere near old to me but it is old enough to realize you don't bounce back into things as fast as you do when you're 21. With that said, I do similar stuff to others above as far as running the mile and a half for time throughout the week and then run distance on the weekends. The key to reducing your time is to do the sprints. When I do my distance runs I do them on a trail. This prevents me from knowing exactly how far I've gone for a given interval. On the trail I just start running balls out...on the tips of my toes for as long as I can then back down to a jog. When I started doing this I shaved HUGE amounts of time off of my run. Just be careful and don't run hard on downhill slopes!!! Very bad for the knees. If you do go to the track then push yourself to run a faster pace. Drills like run (and I mean RUN) the straights and jog (not walk) the curves helps too. With a low end 10 minute run you won't shave off huge amounts of time (relatively speaking) but you could get your run down to 9-something.

Sit-ups and push-ups...do them everyday!! If you're watching TV do them during the commercial breaks. When you do push-ups pay attention to form. And when you've done all that you think you can do...hold yourself in the upright position for at least 30 seconds and then push out at least five more. I have nothing for sit-ups except just do it.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I don't do the PRT, but when I am working on running for time, in addition to some of the things already mentioned, I do incline sprints (as opposed to speed sprints). I run for a few minutes, then crank the incline up for as long as I can take it, then go nearly flat for a rest, then back uphill again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Makes it so much easier when I go back to regular running and my times improve.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I do incline sprints (as opposed to speed sprints). I run for a few minutes, then crank the incline up for as long as I can take it, then go nearly flat for a rest, then back uphill again.

I would be very weary of overdoing it on any sort of incline. Incline leads to shin splint, shin splint leads to stress fracture, stress fracture lead to suffering. :(

But the guys are right. Sprints will shave your time. Long runs will build your endurance (which for me also shaves my time on shorter runs). There's no substitute for just getting out there and running.