• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions aviators ask about SWO knowledges

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Question: (1a) Do you like being a SWO? (1b) Was SWO your #1/2/3 choice? (2) What, in your opinion, is the best part about being a SWO?

I know stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, but I'm genuinely curious to see if SWOland is filled with only disgruntled souls and what part of the job they actually like.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do shoe's wear their piss cutters like dorks?

See demo at: http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/090811-N-7780S-054.jpg

Personally, I can't think of an instance in last 30 years of seeing a SWO or senior enlisted wear anything other than a "round hat" vice "piss cutter" (other than ballcaps). My question would be why wear those when the alternative is more practical? At aviators, how many even have khaki covers for their "round hat" and if you do, how often have you worn it?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
<needed threadjack>

See...there's dorky: (careful you don't hurt your pencil neck in a breeze there fella)

090923-N-2051S-001.jpg

And then there's..well just plain cool:

62065706.jpg

</needed threadjack>

BigRed389

None
Question: (1a) Do you like being a SWO? (1b) Was SWO your #1/2/3 choice? (2) What, in your opinion, is the best part about being a SWO?

I know stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, but I'm genuinely curious to see if SWOland is filled with only disgruntled souls and what part of the job they actually like.

1a) Depends on the day. I think the more removed you are from the shit, the more the bad memories fade. Some days I find myself thinking of sticking it out, others I'm mapping out ways to find another community/career.

1b) Nope, got NPQd from aviation. I do know plenty that picked it as #1 though...and I actually know 2 who didn't enjoying flying and DOR'd and are now enjoying SWOdomy.

2) Shared misery builds pretty good camaraderie.
Seriously speaking, I think a lot depends on the job and the cards you're dealt. Your success and failure is tied pretty heavily to the quality of folks you have working for you and how much of a shit sandwich your predecessor left you. And the jobs are almost like sub-communities. Topsider vs. engineer really are almost two completely different worlds.
If you've got a relatively squared away division and a good upper CoC, you're living on easy street.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Personally, I can't think of an instance in last 30 years of seeing a SWO or senior enlisted wear anything other than a "round hat" vice "piss cutter" (other than ballcaps). My question would be why wear those when the alternative is more practical? At aviators, how many even have khaki covers for their "round hat" and if you do, how often have you worn it?

Almost every naval aviator that I have seen come through here has had the piss cutter and was rocking the dip. Maybe 1 or 2 wearing a ball cap. Even the aviation chiefs wear the piss cutter and rock the dip; alas the majority is aircrew though.

blackbart22

pilot
NAVCAD piss cutters.
Preflight : no dip
Earned solo bar (highly polished): one dip
Earned double solo bar (never polished) : two dips.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
<needed threadjack>

See...there's dorky: (careful you don't hurt your pencil neck in a breeze there fella)

090923-N-2051S-001.jpg

And then there's..well just plain cool:

62065706.jpg

</needed threadjack>

That's a much nicer leather jacket than the one we are issued. I like the collar better.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a much nicer leather jacket than the one we are issued. I like the collar better.

Looks like a vintage AN-J-3 that was introduced briefly in WWII (circa 1943). It has the USAAF style collar but the bi-swing back and wind flap features of the Navy G-1. $295 and Sporty's will send you one or go for higher end G&B Goatskin for ~$600.

452.jpg

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I only happen to own one because when I was giving back MIDN insignia in my last few days of NROTC, our supply chief just chucked one at me. Never worn it, but saving it as I figure I might have an opportunity to wear it in a jackass sort of way.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
There's a story here somewhere about a P-3 JOPA who chose to wear the khaki combo cover. It was a response to the requirement to khaki-up when not on the flight schedule. The reg was promptly rescinded.

So does anyone really know why the relatively tiny LCS-1 kicks up such a foamy wake compared to the gargantuan CVN at the same speed?

Will_T

Will_T
Beans,
I'm no naval architect, but my guess at the wake question is that 1) LCS is a propelled by a pump jet and 2) LCS is a step hulled design, like the 16 footer my family has, and therefore cuts through the water differently then a carrier.
There may be other reasons, but two seem the most likely to me.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which leaves the question open . . . if they're NAVAL aviators, why can't they just get a nicer version of the NAVAL leather jacket everyone else in the NAVAL service wears? You know, the one with the big USN stamped on the zipper flap?