• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions aviators ask about SWO knowledges

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's up w/ Freedom's enormo-wake? Does the dish-soap injector system make its waterjet better... or something?

Hmm, that's SWO knowledges. maybe we need a Stupid Question thread for our resident SWO daddies to hold court within and enlighten us?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean this:

web_080804-N-0000X-003.jpg

080804-N-0000X-003 MARINETTE, Wis. (Aug. 4, 2008) The first U.S. Navy Littoral Combat Ship, Freedom (LCS 1), the inaugural ship in an entirely new class of U.S. Navy surface warships, is seen conducting a speed run during Builders Trials. The ship is designed for littoral, or close-to-shore, operations and to provide access and dominance in coastal-water areas. (Photo provided courtesy Lockheed Martin /Released)

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
You mean this:

web_080804-N-0000X-003.jpg

080804-N-0000X-003 MARINETTE, Wis. (Aug. 4, 2008) The first U.S. Navy Littoral Combat Ship, Freedom (LCS 1), the inaugural ship in an entirely new class of U.S. Navy surface warships, is seen conducting a speed run during Builders Trials. The ship is designed for littoral, or close-to-shore, operations and to provide access and dominance in coastal-water areas. (Photo provided courtesy Lockheed Martin /Released)

It's really just a big one of these ... :icon_tong

_wsb_351x250_jet_ski_Rentals.jpg

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Here's a stupid question for a SWO: Why do all my sailor buddies still have to stand watch when the ship is in port? I mean, you take a boat out fishing, you bring it back, hose it down, check the fluids, and park it in the back yard. Why does a ship in port need to be manned 24/7?

MasterBates

I can see a skeleton crew for firefighting/flooding... But the amount of people just sitting on most boats at any given time doing "nothing" just on their duty day baffles me.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I believe the duty section is the minimum number of people the ship would require to pull out of port immediately if the situation arose.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I believe the duty section is the minimum number of people the ship would require to pull out of port immediately if the situation arose.

Correct.

Huge wake? Let's face it- it you're going that fast -the threats from down below aren't at the top of the priority list.

CAMike

None
Contributor
To briefly answer the mini thread jack. Two reasons.

1. We were taught to keep it straight at AOCS by a couple of closed minded drill instructors named GYSGT Crenshaw and GYSGT Goforth. I didn't feel it was appropriate to share that they weren't always worn that way (Aggie style).

2. Scroll about halfway down in this link and read the first sentence in the paragraph heading "United States". I personally never saw one with a significant dent in it. So, straight it was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrison_cap