• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

flgator92

None
Quick question about what watch’s are allowed. I know smart watch’s like Apple Watch are not allowed. I have a garmin 630 running watch that I love and has the best alarm I have ever had. Any chance that they will allow it? Technically it is not a smart watch, no calling capability or internet.
You won't be able to use it for the first three weeks (indoc phase). Nobody can have watches then. Generally speaking, Timex Ironman is about as high tech as you're allowed for a watch.

gogged

I went through the May 26th class, listen closely lol. They have plenty of irons, and I would not recommend bringing any supplemented supplies, they will be confiscated as contraband - (you will get them back, later in the process...)

My advice is be a minimalist. Bring your obvious hygiene products (NO IRONS), obvious clothing products (white crew necks and white long socks), besides that; you really don't need much, you will purchase everything necessary there.

OCS is not a mystery supply packing game, they provide you with what you need.

What do you recommend for socks? The OCS packing list doesn't mention them at all.

gogged

Darn Tough socks. They are wool, best material around. They will keep your feet dry and at a comfortable temp regardless of the weather.

Yeah, I've used those for boot socks before. They're definitely very good.

I should have clarified more. Do I need to bring regular and boot socks? How many pairs? Does color matter?

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Yeah, I've used those for boot socks before. They're definitely very good.

I should have clarified more. Do I need to bring regular and boot socks? How many pairs? Does color matter?

You'll be issued (sold) everything you need. The boot sock advice is so that you have socks better then what they issue, which are thin black cotton socks that are awful socks to wear with the rough, unlined, heavy and uncomfortable black boots you get.

You'll want the nice boot socks you bring to be black with ideally no visible logos or markings and if you dont want to wear the awful socks you're provided, 5 pairs would be great but I made do with 3.

All the other socks are fine for athletic shoes, and the white/black dress shoes. Only thing there is to buy extra black dress socks (from the nex when you're there) and double them up (shirt stay loop between socks) to help reduce the discomfort off those awful black bates breaking in while walking a ridiculous amount daily.

You could try to get away with black athletic socks and the khakis but if you get caught that's a paddlin.jpg

flgator92

None
I leave in few days and was wondering how much civilian clothes I should pack.
What you need before you report and maybe a pair for when you leave. Keep in mind that the weather may be very different when you leave vice when you reported. You won’t wear any civilian clothes after your first day at OCS.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I leave in few days and was wondering how much civilian clothes I should pack.

Show up in one pair of clothes appropriate for the weather with extra socks/undies for the morning of check in.

When you leave there's a damn good chance you'll be a different size and fit on pants and shirts and the weather will be different like has been mentioned.

Treat yourself to a new outfit at the nex on the way out. Newport has a a big clothing section for the bases size.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Sounds like way too much work. I just wore the black pro-feet athletic socks with my bates :D

Atleast they were the same color, when the Pensacola cold snap hits I saw more than a few people rocking grey or black wool socks with their khakis, with the shirt stays overtop them... ?