• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
No, I mean that I'm saddened by the fact that there are Americans who join the military and can't meet such a low level of fitness. My wife is an O-4 and can still run the 1.5 mile sub 11 minutes (slightly faster than me lol).

A lot of folks expect to be spoon fed or like to learn things “the hard way”.

AULANI

Have you read this yet? You're about to become even more sad. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=103868
Holy shit... I'm sending this to my wife. She's gonna be so pissed. Look, I was enlisted before and I've heard all the jokes about sailors only needing to run as far as the length of the ship to jump off but truth be told the standards are not that tough. How the hell are we supposed to make fun of the Air Force now?

ab187

What is the biggest hold-up for the officer candidates that roll (if you are aware)? Is it typically the run, or one of the other two IST portions?

The majority of failures I saw for the IST was for the run portion, but it was not uncommon for a DI/RDC to “stand up” candidates during the pushups/sit-ups portion because their form was awful. If you get told to stand up before you reach your minimum you fail the evolution and get a first class ticket to H-Class, where they will certainly “motivate” you to get in shape.

(NAC)Arizona

1520/AMDO
This will decrease the amount of ADSEPs, but either way if someone keeps failing PFAs they are still going to be separated. This is the United States Military, not the biggest loser. It is pretty pathetic to spend a couple of years trying to improve someone's health and continue to get them off of FEP, but then every single time they are in line at the "greasy spoon" and still continue to fail PFAs. Unfortunately, it seems that the Marine Corps instills and exemplifies always striving for the highest standards. Whereas other branches significantly lack, some more than others. Biggest thing that pisses me off during the PFA is people looking at minimums. How awesome would it be if everyone just aimed for the maximum? In the last decade, obesity has increased just as fast as the snowflakes have been falling.

"Hard choices, easy life. Easy choices, hard life" - Someone pretty awesome

(NAC)Arizona

1520/AMDO
I wonder if people are trying to fail on purpose so they get kicked out.
I would hope not because that would be dumb, but with the newest generation of kiddos I wouldn't be surprised. A lot have been doing the minimum amount of time and jerk the system to get out with whatever benefits and have the GI bill.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
True, but my partner barely did 6 push ups and collapsed to the ground. I didn't know how to work with that.

Was it a Tuesday? Then the answer is "12" due to "2-for-1 Tuesday."

If it was a Thursday and your partner was a female, the answer is still "12" due to lady's night. The same science can also be applied to shooting approaches, specifically GCAs. Although some would argue that's technique.

Are we allowed to bring small religious texts to OCS, such as pocket New Testaments? If not initially, would we be able to possess them when we get access to our phones/watches around week 9?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Are we allowed to bring small religious texts to OCS, such as pocket New Testaments? If not initially, would we be able to possess them when we get access to our phones/watches around week 9?

You can have them at the start of training. Many people in my class did.

jRiot504

My board doesn't meet until March so I have 4 - 5 months minimum to get in running shape.

However, I want to make sure these are the most up to date regulations - http://www.ocs.navy.mil/pdfs/OTCNINST 1530.6J CH-1 - Officer Candidate Regulations (OCR).pdf,

It states I need to be able to get a Satisfactory Medium in all events upon arriving at OCS. Is this accurate?

For the past few of years I have been powerlfiting so I am strong as an ox, though oxen aren't known for running. Today I tested myself in a 500 yard swim (after OCS this is acceptable), as I live in the northwest where we are covered in snow, so this allowed me to get a baseline of my cardio - 11:20, good medium.

I am certain I can do my run in under 14:15 now, and OCS will only improve this. Just by dropping weight I will get faster, I am at 220lbs and anticipate getting back to 190 during OCS - probably won't have 1,000 calorie protein shakes to drink in the morning and at night while I am there.

Thanks.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Whatever you do, do NOT train to the minimum prior to OCS. Shoot much higher. If your max is the minimum, you WILL fail IST on Day 3. Your life will be turned upside down, you'll not be sleeping normal, then early Wednesday morning you will be held to the standard and expected to meet it. If you can only do the minimum fresh then expect to be rolled to the next class. As for a 14:15 run, I am 44 y/o and run that twice a year under 10. Certainly you can get that run much faster than a 14:15.

jRiot504

Whatever you do, do NOT train to the minimum prior to OCS. Shoot much higher. If your max is the minimum, you WILL fail IST on Day 3. Your life will be turned upside down, you'll not be sleeping normal, then early Wednesday morning you will be held to the standard and expected to meet it. If you can only do the minimum fresh then expect to be rolled to the next class. As for a 14:15 run, I am 44 y/o and run that twice a year under 10. Certainly you can get that run much faster than a 14:15.

I am not training to do the minimum, I just have not run in sometime as I stated - been on a strict powerlifitng training plan for the past few years. I will certainly ensure I can run faster. I do 5 sets of 80 push-ups without breaking a sweat so running after push-ups and sit-ups isn't a concern. Though I am certain it won't be under 10. At basic in 2003 we had to do a 2 mile run for our PT test and I did in 12 minutes, have yet to hit that again. My goal is never the minimum though I am honest with myself and 12:00 to 13:00 is more realistic.