• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Sprout15

There were more than enough women in my class even after one or two rolled. I wouldn’t stress about it.

Okay good to know, thanks.

And now for a completely different question. I'm having a hard time finding info about oceano on AW, so I figured I'd ask on this thread. My OR told me the board looks for people who taken Calculus I and an intro physics class. I've taken both of those classes. However, another OR I was put in touch with told me that the board actually looks for people who've taken at least Calculus II and calc-based phsics. When I told my recruiter about this, he said he hadn't heard of such requirements. Anybody know anything about this?

jRiot504

Okay good to know, thanks.

And now for a completely different question. I'm having a hard time finding info about oceano on AW, so I figured I'd ask on this thread. My OR told me the board looks for people who taken Calculus I and an intro physics class. I've taken both of those classes. However, another OR I was put in touch with told me that the board actually looks for people who've taken at least Calculus II and calc-based phsics. When I told my recruiter about this, he said he hadn't heard of such requirements. Anybody know anything about this?

Here is the guide - https://www.navycs.com/officer/oceanographyofficer.html.

Education
An undergraduate cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 or greater, a C+ average in a calculus series and a B average in a calculus-based physics series are required.

Sprout15

Here is the guide - https://www.navycs.com/officer/oceanographyofficer.html.

Education
An undergraduate cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 or greater, a C+ average in a calculus series and a B average in a calculus-based physics series are required.

Thank you. I forgot I found that page months ago when I first started looking into all of this, so thanks for reminding me it exists ;).

After reading the description on that page, I went back over my transcript and looked up my class descriptions on my university's course catalog. I actually did take calcs I and II, but they were the dumb downed versions for the non-engineer, non-physics, non-math majors. However, even if the board members did take the time to look up the course descriptions, I don't know if they'd be able to discern the difference between the calc classes I took and the smarty pants calc classes. The descriptions are kinda vague for both. Same goes for my physics class. I took the physics class geared towards those going into biological and environmental sciences, not the one for engineers, physics majors, etc. Neither class description says calc-based although I'm sure at the very least, the more intense physics class is.

I've been told that board members do take the time to go over specific class descriptions but I've also been told that there are so many applicants, they don't have time to do that. Anybody hear anything along this matter?

jRiot504

I actually did take calcs I and II, but they were the dumb downed versions for the non-engineer, non-physics, non-math majors.

You're welcome.

Typically the classes you are talking about are labeled Business Calculus. The biggest difference between the two is trigonometry, business calculus would not have this. Which I am guessing would be used in the Oceanic designator. Granted you can always learn when it comes to that.

Though to get to your point unless it says Business Calculus I doubt the board would know the difference or would look up the specific class. Even if it says Business Calculus the board member would have to know the difference off the top of their heard when reviewing. Granted thats all speculation, that is worth what it was given for so...

Last edited:

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I actually did take calcs I and II, but they were the dumb downed versions for the non-engineer, non-physics, non-math majors.

Former physics major/current math major here. If it's any consolation, you probably learned more in those two calc classes than you think. I've taken "advanced calculus" courses, and it's just fancier and fancier derivatives and integrals. If you understand those two things, and perhaps the idea of limits, you can be taught the rest of it in short time. You're over the hump that most people get lost on.

Sprout15

If you understand those two things, and perhaps the idea of limits, you can be taught the rest of it in short time. You're over the hump that most people get lost on.

Thanks for the feedback. It's been several years since I've taken calc but hopefully with some online review, those things will come back to me. Of course, whether or not I really need to brush up on calc depends on if I picked up for oceano or not :rolleyes:.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
National Defense Service Ribbon

A small point of order, but it's actually the National Defense Service Medal. I've lost track if it's still being awarded, but I want to say I still see Ensigns with it on...but I may just not be paying attention.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
With the surge in Afghanistan and the declaration of open-ended combat ops in the Levant, it's almost assured that FY-18 OCS attendees will get the NDSR, no?