• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

I disagree. At OCS you are on active duty.

Mine started the day I entered AOCS but was subsequently adjusted for every day I spent on active duty with the Army Reserve & National Guard prior to AOCS.

At OCS, you are technically in the USNR. When you memorize your chain of command, it even says "United States Naval Reserve" for Section Leader. Retirement countdown starts on commissioning day.

Get black or navy, preferably in a shorter length. I wore 6" PT shorts, they can't stick out but they are authorized.

I wore some red ones one cold day because I thought we would keep our sweats on. Sure enough, we dropped our sweats and I got lit up by the Lead RDC. It was during a PFT, too. Good times.

Greetings and Merry Christmas!!!!

I have a quick question!! In OCS, it seems like the first 4 weeks are going to consist of the DI's hazing you and trying to break your will! What are some of the things they do, and what is your best advice to survive under the pressure?? I don't come from a military background and I've tried to mentally prepare for the pressure, but I'm not sure what else I can do to be "ready". I'm probably nuking it...

But seriously, I would appreciate your pro-tips!!!

Care and try. You would be surprised how rewarding OCS can be if you genuinely care about doing well and try hard. A lot of people will tell you to try to "get by" because everyone is an ensign at the end. That's very true, but it helped me to stay motivated to "drink the KoolAid" a little bit.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
At OCS, you are technically in the USNR. When you memorize your chain of command, it even says "United States Naval Reserve" for Section Leader. Retirement countdown starts on commissioning day.
Active duty time is active duty time. It doesn't matter if it is USN or USNR. There is a reason they watch SELRES active duty time closely. It's to keep reservists from getting an active duty retirement.

By your profile, you've have served a day yet. Why don't you wait until you actually have just a little bit of experience to back up your proclamations.

All my Army Reserve and Navy Reserve active duty time including my time at AOCS counted day for day toward my retirement.

Service as a Midshipman is specifically prohibited from counting toward retirement. But this term apply to those attending the Navy Academy or ROTC, not OCS. It is also due to the fact the Navy is paying for your college education in these programs (or potentially paying with ROTC).

When you sign your OCS contract, you enlist in the USNR With the rate of Officer Candidate (OC) and paygrade of E-5. When you go to OCS you are a USNR OC3 on active duty. It counts toward retirement.

Another different between Midshipmen and OCs is that your PEBD (pay longevity) starts the day you signed your OCS enlistment contract. For Midshipmen it starts the day they are commissioned.

One of the good deals about the old BDCP is that they were on active duty as USNR OCSN to OC2 while finishing college. Then they remained on active duty until finishing OCS. By the time they commissioned, most only had about 18 years to go toward retirement. It was the ultimate good deal (unless you didn't make it through OCS, then you remained on active duty enlisted for a few more years....)

JukeboxEmperor

Wants into space
None
Definitely a dumb question that I feel dumb for asking. I've checked our message traffic for old OCS orders but it gets purged annoyingly frequently.

When active duty get orders to OCS, what's the corresponding change to your "status"/NEC? I know you move to E-5 pay if you're not an E-5, but are you "officially" an officer candidate? If I got a FINSEL would I still be--on paper--AT2 with my current NEC?

I know it doesn't make an actual difference, I'm just curious about the administrative side of things.

Huneph

PPC/MC
Random Uniform question, When do we get measured for dress uniforms? I know I'm going to be in even better shape end of OCS than I am in now and it would seem a shame to have ill fitting uniforms at the end.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Random Uniform question, When do we get measured for dress uniforms? I know I'm going to be in even better shape end of OCS than I am in now and it would seem a shame to have ill fitting uniforms at the end.

Within the first three weeks. You'll mostly wear NWUs in that span. Your uniforms will most likely be baggy close to commission. They usually aren't baggy six months later, I'm not saying you'll balloon but most will gain some weight again once they go back to eating like a human. Do not get your uniforms altered until you've reached a stable weight.

Lex Rae

I had another question. Im a West Coaster, so I'll have about a 3 hour jet lag when I get to Rhode Island. Should i start going to sleep early and waking up early (basically switching to East Coast time) before to minimize the lag? I've heard some people day that you get so gassed the first few days its better to just sleep as much as possible before arrival.

I would try to start sleep depriving yourself early so you're ready for it. Another thing, make sure you have a plan to eat breakfast on Sunday morning before you check in. It will seem like forever until your first meal.

MTLiving

That's unfortunate that we will have to buy two sets of NWUs in less than a year for those of us who are heading to OCS.