• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
For those of you that went through it. What is the hardest thing about OCS? And what is the easiest thing about OCS?

Hardest: Eating the pancakes and hard boiled eggs they serve for breakfast.
Easiest: Giving the door body high fives.

Hardest: Candio phase (if you have a billet or small class). our candios told us they got half as much sleep as we did as indocs. at the time I didn't believe it, but it matched up with experiences. in terms of actual evolutions, none are particularly difficult, though some, especially RLP require calm, time, and attention to detail. No RLP story is an exaggeration, and it is by far the easiest evolution for a class as a whole to drop the ball on.

Easiest, probably.... honestly I couldn't tell you. the process is not designed to be easy. The entire thing is designed to gt into your head, frustrate you, and make you show you want to be there. academics are probably the easiest overall, but NAV and NOS at the end trip up people. There is no solution to NOS other than doing the work, putting in the time, and running boards until you understand the why of them.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Hardest: I was in medical limbo with respect to flying and had that hanging over my head the whole time, but if you want something that wasn't unique to my situation per se then that would have to be NOS. I failed the moboards exam on the first try. I only passed the retest because the instructor regraded it and found either a mistake he made or gave me partial credit for something he didn't before (I don't recall which), saving me another three weeks. I never got the hang of them, but fortunately have never used them since.

Easiest: Candio phase. As much as I wanted a "real job" we had a pretty big class and I got put on battalion staff. So I woke up early to set up and work morning PT or other events that the junior classes were doing (think extra safety observers during indoc events), helped out with odd things that other candios needed a body to do, and trying to make myself useful. I've said before that candio phase is one of the most mismanaged parts of OCS since the distribution of labor is totally lopsided.

TangoMic

A question for recent OCS graduates.

When I went to OCS for the USMC, there were several items that people suggested bringing with you to make certain tasks easier (for example king size permanent markers so that you did not have to remark your shirts or gear after using the black shoe polish they issue you for the task, or another example is a head lamp to be used instead of the issued flashlight for late night studying / completion of assigned essays.)

Is there anything (beyond basic required items, and your "A" game / war face) that y'all suggest bringing similar to the things above?

I have searched this question both on here and other forums and it is often one the does not get very far. After my experience at USMC OCS, and how helpful the suggested items were to making life a bit easier, I believe it to be very relevant question.

I got my finsel today for January 8th OCS. My recruiter said it was for SNA but I won't be able to commission before 27th birthday with that date..... Not sure what to do at this point. Any recent grads seen anything like this?

JukeboxEmperor

Wants into space
None
They gave you a date knowing you wouldn't be able to graduate in time (without any rollbacks)? You should definitely talk to your OR immediately.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
A question for recent OCS graduates.

When I went to OCS for the USMC, there were several items that people suggested bringing with you to make certain tasks easier (for example king size permanent markers so that you did not have to remark your shirts or gear after using the black shoe polish they issue you for the task, or another example is a head lamp to be used instead of the issued flashlight for late night studying / completion of assigned essays.)

Is there anything (beyond basic required items, and your "A" game / war face) that y'all suggest bringing similar to the things above?

I have searched this question both on here and other forums and it is often one the does not get very far. After my experience at USMC OCS, and how helpful the suggested items were to making life a bit easier, I believe it to be very relevant question.
No. Just make sure the stuff you bring on the list is comfy. Get comfy undershirts. Wear comfy underwear. Use comfy towels. Get comfy socks. Other than that, know your knowledge and drink some flavor-aid.

TangoMic

No. Just make sure the stuff you bring on the list is comfy. Get comfy undershirts. Wear comfy underwear. Use comfy towels. Get comfy socks. Other than that, know your knowledge and drink some flavor-aid.
Thanks for the response NicNak!

In terms of comfy socks, what kind of socks do they issue for PT? Are they ankle height or lower? I don't want to get there with a bunch of nice running socks just to find out I cant wear them.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Thanks for the response NicNak!

In terms of comfy socks, what kind of socks do they issue for PT? Are they ankle height or lower? I don't want to get there with a bunch of nice running socks just to find out I cant wear them.

When you arrive, you'll have the option to purchase some PT socks from the mini NEX (buy everything they tell you to buy, don't use it until after your first infamous inspection). They're full length tube socks, and they're actually not too bad. I brought my own tube socks, as long as they're all white outside of your shoe, they're good to go. Make sure they're nice and tight so they stay motivated during a long run. You won't wear any socks lower than calf length tube socks during OCS, since even your dress socks come up close to your knees.

TangoMic

When you arrive, you'll have the option to purchase some PT socks from the mini NEX (buy everything they tell you to buy, don't use it until after your first infamous inspection). They're full length tube socks, and they're actually not too bad. I brought my own tube socks, as long as they're all white outside of your shoe, they're good to go. Make sure they're nice and tight so they stay motivated during a long run. You won't wear any socks lower than calf length tube socks during OCS, since even your dress socks come up close to your knees.

Thanks,

Its all about that attention to detail.

"So they stay motivated during a long run" hahaha

Ronin88

So this is a bit of a random question and I apologize if I am nuking this but, on my fleet applicant check list it states that I am required to interview with a minimum of 3 officers, one from each of my desired designators. So I am applying for SWO-CW, does this mean I need to find an Officer who went through this specific program or will a SWO or CW officer do? Thank you for your help!