• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

raven1

This might be a dumb question but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere on it. I am the first person to serve in my family for quite some time (and they were all Army). Am I allowed to wear a small christian cross necklace in uniform at OCS/in the Navy? All the regulations I find seem to say no jewelry in uniform but I wasn't sure if there was a separate rule for religious jewelry.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
This might be a dumb question but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere on it. I am the first person to serve in my family for quite some time (and they were all Army). Am I allowed to wear a small christian cross necklace in uniform at OCS/in the Navy? All the regulations I find seem to say no jewelry in uniform but I wasn't sure if there was a separate rule for religious jewelry.
>Dumb question
>Thread title
Aaaaannnnyyyywwwwaaayyys

When I was there (summer '16), you could wear a religious item on a dog tag style chain. Multiple people did.

zboy

None
Do you still get issued glasses? I read that you do, but they were from posts a few years ago. Not sure if they still do or not. Wondering if I should buy new ones beforehand?

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Do you still get issued glasses? I read that you do, but they were from posts a few years ago. Not sure if they still do or not. Wondering if I should buy new ones beforehand?
You'll wear issued glasses until Candio phase. I recommend bringing contacts if you have them because you'll need them for the fire trainer and you might want them for the M9 pistol course. During candio, you can wear contacts all the time if you like.

zboy

None
You'll wear issued glasses until Candio phase. I recommend bringing contacts if you have them because you'll need them for the fire trainer and you might want them for the M9 pistol course. During candio, you can wear contacts all the time if you like.
Thanks for the response. That's awesome that you can wear contacts for candio phase, as I thought they couldn't be worn until graduation.

TheFlyingViking

Greetings and Merry Christmas!!!!

I have a quick question!! In OCS, it seems like the first 4 weeks are going to consist of the DI's hazing you and trying to break your will! What are some of the things they do, and what is your best advice to survive under the pressure?? I don't come from a military background and I've tried to mentally prepare for the pressure, but I'm not sure what else I can do to be "ready". I'm probably nuking it...

But seriously, I would appreciate your pro-tips!!!

goldmanharry91

I have a quick question!! In OCS, it seems like the first 4 weeks are going to consist of the DI's hazing you and trying to break your will! What are some of the things they do, and what is your best advice to survive under the pressure?? I don't come from a military background and I've tried to mentally prepare for the pressure, but I'm not sure what else I can do to be "ready". I'm probably nuking it...

The suck doesn't really end until after drill. Just know that it will end. Some days will be worse than others. Just remember that you are here which means someone else that really wanted to be here isn't. If you quit you just cost someone else a spot to be here.

Jad4400

I had another question. Im a West Coaster, so I'll have about a 3 hour jet lag when I get to Rhode Island. Should i start going to sleep early and waking up early (basically switching to East Coast time) before to minimize the lag? I've heard some people day that you get so gassed the first few days its better to just sleep as much as possible before arrival.

Jad4400

Sorry to double post, I also forgot to ask, which kind of phone card should I bring? I see AT&T cards, but I wasnt sure if those were the ones to use.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Not really an OCS question per se, but does the 20 year countdown to retirement start once you enter OCS or once you commission?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor

Prepare to get yelled at a lot (individually and as a class). Prepare to be put on your face and taken to the sand pits. The sooner you are able to filter out sources of stress the better off you will be. Learn to focus on the task at hand and not be distracted by all of the chaos going on around you.

I had another question. Im a West Coaster, so I'll have about a 3 hour jet lag when I get to Rhode Island. Should i start going to sleep early and waking up early (basically switching to East Coast time) before to minimize the lag? I've heard some people day that you get so gassed the first few days its better to just sleep as much as possible before arrival.

Sleep as much as you can before you get to OCS, you'll be lucky to get 7 hours a night once you're there.

Sorry to double post, I also forgot to ask, which kind of phone card should I bring? I see AT&T cards, but I wasnt sure if those were the ones to use.

You don't need to bring a phone card, they have ones there for you to use.

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
I arrived at 2300 the night before coming from MDT. Everyone will be tired regardless of the time change. I spent the previous year waking up at 0530 and working out, so I adjusted very quickly. Once you've had all the fun of being woken up for weeks during indoc, waking up is no issue.