• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

goldmanharry91

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up but I've seen people say that going to chapel on Sunday's is a nice respite. Is it non-denominational? I am Jewish and went to synagogue every weekend when I was younger, but services are on Saturday. I've read that it is possible to get permission to go off base to services. Not saying I'm pursuing this option but does it get granted to individuals who are religious?

Also another serious-ish question: have any candidates (mostly non-priors) worked with a former Marine DI to help them with OCS prep? I've never heard of it and everyone hear says that its hard to prepare for it until you are actually in the thick of OCS.

Outdoorsman

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up but I've seen people say that going to chapel on Sunday's is a nice respite. Is it non-denominational? I am Jewish and went to synagogue every weekend when I was younger, but services are on Saturday. I've read that it is possible to get permission to go off base to services. Not saying I'm pursuing this option but does it get granted to individuals who are religious?

Also another serious-ish question: have any candidates (mostly non-priors) worked with a former Marine DI to help them with OCS prep? I've never heard of it and everyone hear says that its hard to prepare for it until you are actually in the thick of OCS.

You have both a non denominational service on base as well as the right to be transported to Jewish services off base.

The whole first week at OCS now is preparation to meet your DI, you don't really need anything beyond that.

goldmanharry91

Ok. Thank you for answering my questions. My dad was the one with the idea to hire a retired DI to help prepare me (he can be a little overzealous about prep but its a good thing 99% of the time). I agreed to look into the idea at least.

Sonog

pilot
Ok. Thank you for answering my questions. My dad was the one with the idea to hire a retired DI to help prepare me (he can be a little overzealous about prep but its a good thing 99% of the time). I agreed to look into the idea at least.

Dude go to synagogue. That trip off base will feel amazing.

Don't be scared of DI's, think of it as an enormous honor that you get to be trained by those dudes. Don't prepare besides maybe practicing sounding off when you're alone in your car or something. They literally smell fear and prey on weakness.

goldmanharry91

Don't be scared of DI's, think of it as an enormous honor that you get to be trained by those dudes. Don't prepare besides maybe practicing sounding off when you're alone in your car or something. They literally smell fear and prey on weakness.

I never said I was scared of the DI's. My father feels that I might crumble under the pressure of being yelled in the face so he wants me to get some exposure to that stimulus. He's afraid I'm going to crack and verbally lash out at a member of the class team or one of the DI's. I know what I can control and it won't happen. Period.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
I never said I was scared of the DI's. My father feels that I might crumble under the pressure of being yelled in the face so he wants me to get some exposure to that stimulus. He's afraid I'm going to crack and verbally lash out at a member of the class team or one of the DI's. I know what I can control and it won't happen. Period.

Probably a good idea not to lash out at your DI, or RDC. Probably a good idea not to Lash out in the Fleet either. Every time I was yelled at (training commands or in the fleet), it was always a huge "misunderstanding", but just gave an Aye, Aye.

Sea Story: RTC '90, a Guy in my company had an issue of balling his fist up when getting verbally corrected for being a dumb-dumb. Picture him standing there, fist clenched with two CC's yelling at the top of their lungs for him to stop. Second time two MA's were called, cuffed him and took him away. 2 days later dude shows back up like nothing happened, all happy, like a changed man, until he got crabs!

Not sure what they would do now for stuff like that.

goldmanharry91

Probably a good idea not to lash out at your DI, or RDC. Probably a good idea not to Lash out in the Fleet either. Every time I was yelled at (training commands or in the fleet), it was always a huge "misunderstanding", but just gave an Aye, Aye.

I understand that mentality. I can definitely shrug it off. Yeah it might be off-putting and a little uncomfortable but the best way to go about it is not take it seriously and maybe have a little laugh at the end of the day. I'm a little short with my parents, so they think it's how I am with others. I'm ready to go to OCS and just get started.

Possible stupid question here.

I lost enough weight while training for OCS that my clothes look pretty baggy on me now. I doesn't bother me enough to go buy new clothes at this point because I'm a cheapskate, but I also don't know my current measurements for clothing. Should I know my measurements for my uniforms before showing up or will I be measured for my uniforms while I'm there?

Outdoorsman

Possible stupid question here.

I lost enough weight while training for OCS that my clothes look pretty baggy on me now. I doesn't bother me enough to go buy new clothes at this point because I'm a cheapskate, but I also don't know my current measurements for clothing. Should I know my measurements for my uniforms before showing up or will I be measured for my uniforms while I'm there?

You'll be measured for your dress uniforms and you'll try on your NWUs. At least know what size sweat shirts, t shirts and shorts you need, be it medium or large. I lost a lot of weight before OCS too and mediums for all the PT gear fit me well enough. 70 inches tall, was something like 155 lbs

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
The Navy will measure you and fit you with uniforms, easy day!

Seems a better idea to have pros do the fitting rather than have 25 year old try and recall their measurements and goof up 2k worth of uniforms.

Rumsy

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the CEC Collegiate Program and and reporting to OCS at the end of the month and have a question about BAH at OCS. I currently receive BAH based off where I went to school. My understanding is that since I currently receive BAH I should continue to draw it throughout OCS, correct?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Odd question but what age are people mainly that go to OCS (youngest/average/oldest)? Thanks!
My class had like four people that were about 40, three of whom were prior chiefs (if you hear the term "anchor chucker," that refers to a chief who received a commission).