• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

torpedotor

Hey @torpedotor, thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated! I was hoping you could clarify a few things. First, when you say "plenty," of underwear and socks, how many are you thinking? Second, when you say blue and white undershirts for five and six weeks, are we talking one-a-day (i.e., 35 blue undershirts and 42 white undershirts)? I'm assuming there will be laundry at some point so I don't want to bring too many or too few.

You will definitely be able to do laundry. It's really up to you. I want to say I ended up with about 10-15 of each. 10 was probably plenty, but if you hate doing laundry, maybe bring more.

@torpedotor I have a stupid question about OCS. Do we or do we not have an initial fitness test on day two? I keep finding conflicting information from 2007-2012. I'm ready to go at all times, but curiosity is driving me crazy. Thank you and congratulations!!

You will have an initial-PFA (physical fitness assessment). I believe it's on the first Wednesday.

Thanks for the response.

Which type of Fox Rivers do you recommend? Strykers?

Wish I could tell you, but I don't even know what kind I have. It's more about the brand's general quality and comfort over the issued pairs than a specific type.

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
Semi stupid question.... if you fail the initial prt are you immediately rolled or is it like boot camp where it's just used for an initial baseline to gauge your abilities and areas for improvement? I'm not going to fail but just curious.

VoodooNova

None
Semi stupid question.... if you fail the initial prt are you immediately rolled or is it like boot camp where it's just used for an initial baseline to gauge your abilities and areas for improvement? I'm not going to fail but just curious.

You're immediately sent to Holding Company for 3 weeks, where you'll have to pass the PRT to class up. So, if you failed your initial PRT with 07-15, the next time you could possibly class up after passing is with 08-15.

thosefreakinATs

pilot
Roger that. Do they calculate prt results according to the navy instruction or do they do their own thing? As in, if i get an excellent curl up and a good push up and sat run do I still get an overall good?

VoodooNova

None
Roger that. Do they calculate prt results according to the navy instruction or do they do their own thing? As in, if i get an excellent curl up and a good push up and sat run do I still get an overall good?

I don't remember. The people who failed the Initial PRT completely failed a portion of it, so they didn't pass the PRT. After that, I couldn't tell you.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
At the very least, the last one, the Out-PFA, is done according to the instruction, because that's the "official" one (the only one that goes on your record on PRIMS).

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
You will have an initial-PFA (physical fitness assessment). I believe it's on the first Wednesday.

Looking at a copy of the Office Candidate Regulation that I was sent, it looks like there is an IST (Initial Strength Test), which is a PFA, which is administered "early in Admin Week," so Wednesday makes sense. I think I've read that other people have taken it on Tuesday, so perhaps it depends on your class. The OCR then says that there is an "In-PFA" that is "normally conducted on Friday of week four." I always confused the IST with the In-PFA and assumed they were the same thing; however, it appears as if they are two different events.

torpedotor

Also, keep in mind that for the IST and your first two PFAs, you will not be given 10 minutes in between exercises. You will go straight from curl-ups to push-ups to running with about a minute or two in between. That does make the run more difficult and there are a lot of people who failed the run by less than a minute.

And yes, the IST and In-PFA are two different events.

bluehens15

H
Also, keep in mind that for the IST and your first two PFAs, you will not be given 10 minutes in between exercises. You will go straight from curl-ups to push-ups to running with about a minute or two in between. That does make the run more difficult and there are a lot of people who failed the run by less than a minute.

how is it administered? Like does each person doing the test have someone counting?

thosefreakinATs

pilot

so pretty much exactly how we do it in the fleet. Will you roll for failing the IST?

thosefreakinATs

pilot
H

how is it administered? Like does each person doing the test have someone counting?
if its anything like boot. youll line up with a partner across from you. you or your partner does the exercise first, then switch. who ever went first on the first exercise does the second exercise first, then switch. everybody does run together.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
so pretty much exactly how we do it in the fleet. Will you roll for failing the IST?

According to the Officer Candidate Regulation, it states that candidates who do not achieve at least a "satisfactory" will be placed in H Class for three weeks to improve physical fitness. After the three weeks, if you're still unable to achieve a satisfactory, you may be disenrolled from OCS by the commanding officer. Also, I believe if you don't get a satisfactory on the IST, you have to wear an orange glow belt until you pass. Everyone else wears a green glow belt.