• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

torpedotor

@torpedotor Can you talk a little about the pistol qualification? Do many people get the ribbon, sharpshooter pin, expert medal?
We had a good number of people qualify. I had never shot before and qualified as a sharpshooter. We had three people in our class qualify as expert. Since I've never shot before I can't really compare it to anything or say exactly how difficult it was.

ClassyGent23

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out how much money to bring. I've read about $300 cash. But should we also budget for uniforms? I heard that essentially we get issued uniforms and then before we graduate they take the cost out of our account?

Also, do we need to be silver dollars? If so, how many?

ClassyGent23

I hate to be that guy that posts twice in a row but I have another question.

When getting questions to recite information about rank, how strict must we follow the Gouge information?

For example, using the word "a" in place of the word "one," or using "point" instead of "pointed." I ask because I am looking through the document on the navy.mil website and for some of the Officer Ranks they change from "point" in the lower officers to "pointed" in the higher officers.

VoodooNova

None
The silver dollar/first salute tradition has been done away with. You'll put your uniforms on an account at the uniform shop and pay it off before you leave (or start a monthly payment). You'll be getting paid through OCS, plus have a uniform allowance, so you'll be fine when you need to pay for everything.

Don't sweat the difference between point and pointed. Know the information, yell it at the top of your lungs, and you'll be ok.

ClassyGent23

The silver dollar/first salute tradition has been done away with. You'll put your uniforms on an account at the uniform shop and pay it off before you leave (or start a monthly payment). You'll be getting paid through OCS, plus have a uniform allowance, so you'll be fine when you need to pay for everything.

Don't sweat the difference between point and pointed. Know the information, yell it at the top of your lungs, and you'll be ok.

Really?! That is unfortunate, I was really looking forward to that. So how do we do the first salute now?

Thanks for the advice by the way. I think the yelling is one of the things I will be most suprised at...even if I try to prepare.

VoodooNova

None
Really?! That is unfortunate, I was really looking forward to that. So how do we do the first salute now?

Thanks for the advice by the way. I think the yelling is one of the things I will be most suprised at...even if I try to prepare.

As far as I know, there was no first salute (as sanctioned by OCS) for any of the classes that graduated while I was there. This could have been because the graduations were indoors at the war college or they did away with it. Someone from after 07-15 will have to speak about the spring/summer graduations.

torpedotor

The first salute was done away with in part because the higher-ups felt that students were feeling pressured (by themselves and/or classmates, not the staff) to buy real silver dollars (worth $35+), and when a class team graduates 60+ candidates, that's some good money. It's basically to just avoid the possibility of impropriety. Your class team will specifically tell you to NOT get them a silver dollar, and they are serious. Don't put them in that position.

The wording of the gouge is not toooo big of a deal. Point vs pointed? No big deal. But you should know it very close to verbatim. What I did was just choose one wording (i.e., pointed instead of point) and use that for all of them.

You will need some cash, but $100 would probably be fine. Just make sure you've got a debit card if you're not going to bring a ton of cash. There will be things you'll want to buy. Plus you need to get a haircut every two weeks. The cost of your uniforms is going to be around $3000 (mine was just under), but you'll get a stipend of about $1800 to cover part of it. You'll have to cover the rest.

torpedotor

I know a few candidates in our class had enlisted family members at their graduation and did their first salutes with them. Mine was just a Marine I happened to walk past after the ceremony. Some classmates had developed relationships with a particular chief on staff and did a first salute with them. I don't know if they did silver dollars or not for all/any of these.

exNavyOffRec

The first salute was done away with in part because the higher-ups felt that students were feeling pressured (by themselves and/or classmates, not the staff) to buy real silver dollars (worth $35+), and when a class team graduates 60+ candidates, that's some good money. It's basically to just avoid the possibility of impropriety. Your class team will specifically tell you to NOT get them a silver dollar, and they are serious. Don't put them in that position.

The wording of the gouge is not toooo big of a deal. Point vs pointed? No big deal. But you should know it very close to verbatim. What I did was just choose one wording (i.e., pointed instead of point) and use that for all of them.

You will need some cash, but $100 would probably be fine. Just make sure you've got a debit card if you're not going to bring a ton of cash. There will be things you'll want to buy. Plus you need to get a haircut every two weeks. The cost of your uniforms is going to be around $3000 (mine was just under), but you'll get a stipend of about $1800 to cover part of it. You'll have to cover the rest.

I put in several who were from military families, they were looking forward to doing the first salute, it is too bad someone felt it could pressure students.

uncdude33

Here's a question for any recent OCS grads. I shave me head (bic it, not buzz it short) and have for years, I know when I was at boot camp I had to let my hair grow out, will I have to again at OCS or will I be allowed to shave it daily? I understand the time constraints in the morning, that isn't what I am worried about, is the policy no shaved heads while at OTC? Is it a class team decision? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

MGB001

For us non-priors will we be permitted on base the day before our class officially convenes? I was hoping to stay at the Navy Lodge the night before if there are rooms available.

bluehens15

For us non-priors will we be permitted on base the day before our class officially convenes? I was hoping to stay at the Navy Lodge the night before if there are rooms available.

Yep just tell them you're reporting to OCS the next day. I'm staying at Gateway because it's like 20 bucks cheaper lol