• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Khakis are nowhere near warm enough for a New England winter.
That's what they had AWGs for. They were good enough for FADM "Bull Halsey and the NavAir legends... but in the recent uniform debacle, they were dumped.

For the 'Newbees' AWGs were a heavy duty dark green winter working uniform, with black rank stripes on the blouse sleeves. Ribbons/medajs were not worn with Greens. They were authorized for all Aviation Officers & CPOs, with a choice of green bridge cap cover, or green "PissCutter". It was a sharp, unique, and WARM uniform. They were still in use when I retired in 1974. There have been many attempts to revive then, including a major letter/poll campaign by an AW member a few years back, with no luck to date. Maybe someday?:(
1-nc4_1919_wash-dc-recognition_ron-card-photo.jpg
020725-003.jpg

*ENS BusyBee (far R), in AWGs w/ winter survival jacket - NAAS Fallon NV - Dec,1958
1958 Martini Flight Fallon.jpg

BzB

Last edited:

brownshoe

Contributor
That's what they had AWGs for. They were good enough for FADM "Bull Halsey and the NavAir legends... but in the recent uniform debacle, they were dumped.

For the 'Newbees' AWGs were a heavy duty dark green winter working uniform, with black rank stripes on the blouse sleeves. Ribbons/medajs were not worn with Greens. They were authorized for all Aviation Officers & CPOs, with a choice of green bridge cap cover, or green "PissCutter". It was a sharp, unique, and WARM uniform. They were still in use when I retired in 1974. There have been many attempts to revive then, including a major letter/poll campaign by an AW member a few years back, with no luck to date. Maybe someday?:(
BzB

http://www.usni.org/userfiles/file/ Sept/NAMB Sept 08.pdf

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
So, traditionally anchors aweigh is sang differently than in my handbook. It should start out "Anchors Aweigh" but in the gouge it starts "Stand Navy out to sea". I feel like something like this could be frowned upon if you didn't get it right, any advice?

So, traditionally anchors aweigh is sang differently than in my handbook. It should start out "Anchors Aweigh" but in the gouge it starts "Stand Navy out to sea". I feel like something like this could be frowned upon if you didn't get it right, any advice?

The first verse starts "Stand Navy out to sea," the second verse starts "Anchors aweigh."

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
thanks, in getting the melody down all the vids I could find kept starting with the second so that's where the question came up.

mike23!

A little off topic, but I was wandering if there was anyone out there that was prior service or still on active duty that got accepted into OCS with an age waiver. (specifically for SNA)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I believe the Gateway is closer than either of them. In order of proximity from closest to farthest, Gateway, Chalet, then the Lodge. But none of them is particularly far away; considering how much running you'll be doing in the weeks to follow, the half-mile walk from the Lodge is nothing.

America

I believe the Gateway is closer than either of them. In order of proximity from closest to farthest, Gateway, Chalet, then the Lodge. But none of them is particularly far away; considering how much running you'll be doing in the weeks to follow, the half-mile walk from the Lodge is nothing.
Awesome, thanks @Tycho_Brohe for always responding quickly and giving the insight - much appreciated!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
@Tycho_Brohe should we book something sooner than later if we have an FS? Also, for the night before or should we book a friday-saturday?
If you're looking at one of the places on base, I'm pretty sure they don't let you book very far in advance. I can't say for sure, I actually stayed at the Courtyard Marriott a few minutes away from base. You might want to go a day early if you've made friends on here or on Facebook and you wanna hang out a bit beforehand. There's a few places to go downtown that are pretty good. Red Parrot is a popular one. There's also White Horse Tavern, some really old historic bar/restaurant. What we did on liberty is just drive into downtown, park, and walk until we found somewhere we felt like eating/drinking.

America

@Tycho_Brohe should we book something sooner than later if we have an FS? Also, for the night before or should we book a friday-saturday?
My OCS date is 10 AUG. I just booked a night at the Chalet. The guy at the front desk will give you the number to book the reservation. Say you're there on orders or else they won't let you book. Any night past 1 night is paid out of your wallet without the reimbursement. Hope this helps!

jakejake527

Received a call from my recruiter today that I was one of the selected by the SWO board (which convened on Monday 6/9)....

Now waiting for the Supply board which is scheduled for later this month.

Question ::: How soon can I start OCS? I want to start as soon as possible. What are the upcoming steps? I'm scheduled for MEP next thursday

Received a call from my recruiter today that I was one of the selected by the SWO board (which convened on Monday 6/9)....

Now waiting for the Supply board which is scheduled for later this month.

Question ::: How soon can I start OCS? I want to start as soon as possible. What are the upcoming steps? I'm scheduled for MEP next thursday

I don't know how you snuck into a board this way. They shouldn't have even seen your package given that you haven't been to MEPS yet. Either way, congrats, and the only advice anyone can give here is to enjoy the wait. Average wait time depends on designator, but for SWO, you're looking at a 3-9 month wait from pro-rec to OCS report date. If your MEPS goes smoothly and you need no waivers, you may ship sooner. If you need a waiver, you'll be waiting for the N3M gods.