• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I got a few stupid questions about uniforms.

How do uniforms work when you get liberty? Are you required to wear them on liberty?
Yup, khakis in most cases. If you get special lib for very rare cases (funeral, birth of child maybe), you may wear civvies.
(EDIT: Oh, also, we had 4th of July liberty, we got to wear Summer Whites for that, which was pretty sick.)
Do you have to wear them when leaving, then change into something else off-base?
You wear the dress uniform for the graduation and then you can change into civvies to load up the car and move out of the barracks and whatnot.
Do you have any civilian clothes with you at all, besides stuff in the POV?
Just what you bring. You can either bring a pair of clean civvies for after graduation, wash the clothes you showed up in at check-in, or buy something at the NEX in candio phase (this was the case for me since the jeans I wore on the first day did not fit me by graduation time, lost something like 20 pounds).

Ultimyke

enthusing enthusiast
Thanks for the speedy reply. If my clothes no longer fit, could I just leave OCS in khakis and stop by a mall on the way back home/next assignment?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I guess you could, but if you're going to do that, you might as well get the clothes from the NEX on base. They have most of the same stuff as the mall, it's tax-free, and you don't stand out as much in the khaki uniform. Plus you can pretty much go there anytime in candio phase (when you have some free time).

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Oh yeah, they got a bunch of stuff at the Newport one. I picked up a Ralph Lauren polo, some Levi's and a pair of Sambas to wear home after graduation. Just don't go into the electronics section before you're a candio. People have been busted trying to get on the laptops there, and it didn't end well at all.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Ehh, it's your call. If you do bring it, you'll only get to use it for the last three weeks. Plus you won't be able to connect to the Internet in the barracks, so you'd have to bring it to the Starbucks/Internet cafe (actually I don't know if they even have Wi-Fi there), but they have a bunch of computers there anyway. They're MWR computers, free to connect to the Internet, but you have to set up an account with a credit card. I would lean towards "it's not really worth it to bring your laptop," but people have done it, or so I've heard.

Surf

pilot
I have a follow up question to the uniforms. Do they change the uniform seasonally? Just curious what I might be wearing around my commission date late November.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I have a follow up question to the uniforms. Do they change the uniform seasonally? Just curious what I might be wearing around my hopeful commission date late November.
Yes, you'll probably be in SDB's. It's dress whites in the summer and dress blues in the winter. I can't recall what the gouge dates are for the changeover (maybe Halloween and Easter?) but they usually happen around the same time each year. Late November should definitely be SDB's.

Ultimyke

enthusing enthusiast
I would lean towards "it's not really worth it to bring your laptop," but people have done it, or so I've heard.

I'll probably defer to your judgement. I'll bring my phone and toss it in the car for the beginning.

LET73

Yup, khakis in most cases. If you get special lib for very rare cases (funeral, birth of child maybe), you may wear civvies.
(EDIT: Oh, also, we had 4th of July liberty, we got to wear Summer Whites for that, which was pretty sick.)
That's a change since I went through. We had to wear our summer whites if we went off base in Pensacola (which is how a female classmate learned the hard way that maybe she should have left the brightly-colored skivvies at home...). That's too bad, the whites (and blues, if you're there in the fall/winter) are way slicker than the khakis.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
That's a change since I went through. We had to wear our summer whites if we went off base in Pensacola (which is how a female classmate learned the hard way that maybe she should have left the brightly-colored skivvies at home...). That's too bad, the whites (and blues, if you're there in the fall/winter) are way slicker than the khakis.
Yeah I'm not sure if the lib uniform changes from khakis to blues in the winter, I was there in the summer, but I sure hope they do. Khakis are nowhere near warm enough for a New England winter.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Yeah I'm not sure if the lib uniform changes from khakis to blues in the winter, I was there in the summer, but I sure hope they do. Khakis are nowhere near warm enough for a New England winter.
Khakis were the official lib uniform for winter as well.

LET73

That's a shame. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty nerve-wracking to go out in your whites and risk spilling something on them, but it's just hard to look bad in that uniform.