• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Eric Pro

This may have been asked, but what is the shower situation like? Is it timed? Where are they located? How often? What time do we take them? Is that when we should shave also? Do we shower as a group?

Thanks in advance :)
Male if that matters.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
This may have been asked, but what is the shower situation like? Is it timed? Where are they located? How often? What time do we take them? Is that when we should shave also? Do we shower as a group?

Thanks in advance :)
Male if that matters.
Used to be communal heads, but we moved into a new building last year, so now with the suite-style setup, it's four people per two showers. For us it was usually a fifteen minute hygiene call after PT/breakfast and before classes, so you'd need to take care of everything in that time (one guy showers and the other shaves, then switch). Not sure what the current attitude is on getting up early, but you could also conceivably wake up a little bit before reveille to take care of shaving, assuming you have a watch with an alarm and class team lets you wear it. Or shave the night before, if you don't get five o'clock shadow.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I know that the NAM thing is true. One of the guys (Tycho's regcom) was in NIOBC with me, and since he isn't a prior he gets stared at and questioned a lot about it.

A classmate of mine also Heimleched a dude, no medal though.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I know that the NAM thing is true. One of the guys (Tycho's regcom) was in NIOBC with me, and since he isn't a prior he gets stared at and questioned a lot about it.

A classmate of mine also Heimleched a dude, no medal though.

In the beginning of my OCS journey, I was vaguely amused at the idea of serving bone-in fish to a chow hall filled with hundreds of tired, ravenous candidates whose sole mission was to devour the contents of their plates as swiftly as humanly possible. Then somebody choked.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
In the beginning of my OCS journey, I was vaguely amused at the idea of serving bone-in fish to a chow hall filled with hundreds of tired, ravenous candidates whose sole mission was to devour the contents of their plates as swiftly as humanly possible. Then somebody choked.
Those friggin' St. Louis-style BBQ ribs that they serve on like the Wednesday of indoc week. We were obviously still on grab-and-go, so it was like Russian Roulette. But with ribs.

And since he was still an officer candidate at that point, they had to pin it onto his NWU's at the award ceremony.
I'll never forget, the DI for our sister company told them to popcorn while they were waiting for it to start. Some misguided souls in our own company also started to popcorn, and our DI was like "Knock it off, we don't do that popcorn shit."

Ultimyke

enthusing enthusiast
I'll never forget, the DI for our sister company told them to popcorn while they were waiting for it to start. Some misguided souls in our own company also started to popcorn, and our DI was like "Knock it off, we don't do that popcorn shit."

Another stupid question: What does "to popcorn" mean?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Another stupid question: What does "to popcorn" mean?

Standing at attention for a very long time can be pretty tiring, and sometimes people have the tendency to lock their knees. Something something about blood flow and potentially passing out. "Popcorn" means to basically bob up and down a little bit to keep that blood flowing and stop you from locking your knees.

Spookcumber

This is a question for the AD people I guess - did you ever have to sign an OCS service agreement before you left for OCS? A couple people in my class said they had to sign and send one that they received with their FS, and since I never got an FS, just hard copy orders - I'm wondering what this Service Agreement thing is all about because I thought it was only for non AD people. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
This is a question for the AD people I guess - did you ever have to sign an OCS service agreement before you left for OCS? A couple people in my class said they had to sign and send one that they received with their FS, and since I never got an FS, just hard copy orders - I'm wondering what this Service Agreement thing is all about because I thought it was only for non AD people. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
It says it in the email that your chain of command receives with your FS letter. I mailed mine in, but there were some people in my class that didn't get an FS letter or service agreement. My roommate at OCS was one of them, and they all still commissioned. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just know how many years your designator incurs.

Spookcumber

One more quick question that I couldn't find the exact answer for:

- What kind of ribbons/medals are allowed for priors? Does it matter if they are ultra thin? Should they be Anodized medals or not?

I usually order my ribbon racks from https://www.usamilitarymedals.com/ because they look a lot sharper and the stars/devices look a lot cleaner than when I manually put them on (So frustrating!). Any advice on this would be appreciated.