• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I take it they are not looking to fail you unless you single yourself out, right? I expect to have my ducks in a row but I would assume they can tell who is on the ball and who doesn't really have an fing clue why they are there

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I take it they are not looking to fail you unless you single yourself out, right? I expect to have my ducks in a row but I would assume they can tell who is on the ball and who doesn't really have an fing clue why they are there
Just depends if you can get with the program and not suck...mainly at drill.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Eh, much as it may pain me to admit it, the IDWO insignia is a warfare pin, and since it looks like Fronch got picked up for IW, someone may ask him to describe his future pin. From the instruction:
3. THE INFORMATION DOMINANCE WARFARE OFFICER (IDWO) INSIGNIA IS A
TWO- AND THREE-QUARTER INCHES BY ONE- AND ONE-EIGHTH INCHES, GOLD
MATTE METAL PIN SHOWING A BACKGROUND OF OCEAN WAVES, A CROSSED
NAVAL OFFICER'S SWORD AND LIGHTNING BOLT, A FOULED ANCHOR, AND
A GLOBE.
I know they have a pin, but I don't recall it being in Appendix B, therefore not one you would have to know. Unless they added it recently, they won't ask about it.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

You usually have to be a complete trainwreck for them to "want" to roll you. I sucked at drill, was not a PT stud, and was always on my face for anything and everything, and they never tried to roll me. The guy in our sister company, on the other hand....look up the OCS quotes thread for some of the crap he would do.

LET73

I know they have a pin, but I don't recall it being in Appendix B, therefore not one you would have to know. Unless they added it recently, they won't ask about it.
OK, I see what you're saying. I wonder how often they update all that stuff--I would imagine not often, since the IDWO pin has been around for at least three years now.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
OK, I see what you're saying. I wonder how often they update all that stuff--I would imagine not often, since the IDWO pin has been around for at least three years now.
The version I downloaded from the OCS website is dated Dec 2013 and does not include the IDWO pin.

LET73

The version I downloaded from the OCS website is dated Dec 2013 and does not include the IDWO pin.
Let me edit my earlier statement: OK, I see what you're saying. I wonder how often they update all that stuff--I would imagine not often, since the IDWO pin has been around for at least three years now I see exactly where the Information Dominance Corps falls on the list of OCS priorities :)

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
That's the latest update to the OCR. I just commissioned 14 Mar and that's the version we had. They are in the process of coming up with an updated version to omit some stuff out of RLP, but no timetable as to when it'll be released.

WEGL12

VT-28
Do you get leave right after OCS and before you report to your ship?
From the few SWOs in my class it seems to be very case by case. One guy had around 10 days to report to his ship. Another one had 3 days to get to Norfolk and his ship deployed 6 days after OCS graduation. Just depends.

Edit: In case you meant if the days before you report counts as leave, you get three-four days if you are stationed on east coast (depending where). Any day after that counts as leave until you check in.

JamesL37

Can you receive letters and care packages from family and friends? Are food items like snacks and vitamin allowed? Is there a designated time for "mail call"?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Can you receive letters and care packages from family and friends? Are food items like snacks and vitamin allowed? Is there a designated time for "mail call"?

In the first nine weeks, snacks are a no-no. You can receive letters during mail call (I forgot how often, but it was multiple times weekly) but not care packages. When you get to the last three weeks (candidate officer phase), you will be able to receive a "candio box" filled with all the snacks, treats and plastic-wrapped dreams you've been missing. You will get instructions regarding candio boxes at some point.

Vitamins are tricky. I'm fairly sure you aren't officially supposed to be taking any vitamins without a chit for them, but I don't know that getting a chit is difficult.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Vitamins are tricky. I'm fairly sure you aren't officially supposed to be taking any vitamins without a chit for them, but I don't know that getting a chit is difficult.
Vitamins are easier now that they can get cold-packs and mass chits. But don't have your parents send them to you. I overheard a conversation between my DI and a candidate in my company who received gummy vitamins in the mail. So here she was, trying to justify it because they're easier to take or whatever, and it inevitably ended with him saying "Bullshit, it's just candy, you're not getting that."

Long story short, buy gummy vitamins at the NEX. After you get a chit.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Vitamins are easier now that they can get cold-packs and mass chits. But don't have your parents send them to you. I overheard a conversation between my DI and a candidate in my company who received gummy vitamins in the mail. So here she was, trying to justify it because they're easier to take or whatever, and it inevitably ended with him saying "Bullshit, it's just candy, you're not getting that."

Long story short, buy gummy vitamins at the NEX. After you get a chit.
It's all class team dependent. We didn't get vitamins, cough drops until after Drill Comp (then again we stacked bodies in drill). Other classes didn't get anything until Candio phase unless they had a chit.