• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Grizzly757

I have read this thread through from post one to here, so I feel entitled to ask a stupid OCS question of my own! If selected by the community of my choice, I will be heading to OCS at the age of 30. During the set of PRTS throughout OCS, will my grade during these evolutions be based on the 30-34yo set of numbers or do they use a younger set for all candidates to even the playing field?

jtmedli

pilot
I have read this thread through from post one to here, so I feel entitled to ask a stupid OCS question of my own! If selected by the community of my choice, I will be heading to OCS at the age of 30. During the set of PRTS throughout OCS, will my grade during these evolutions be based on the 30-34yo set of numbers or do they use a younger set for all candidates to even the playing field?

The PRT numbers are based on the individuals age. However, if you are worrying about the minimums then you aren't where you should be for OCS. You need to be hitting the maximums in at least 2 out of the 3 categories.

BleedGreen

pilot
Your PFA scores during OCS are based off your age. The first PFA you take at OCS is called the IST. Keep in mind when you take this you will be sleep deprived and probably a little dehydrated, so if your barely scraping by now you'll probably have a harder time passing under those added stressors. On your last PFA during week 11 or 12 you must score at least a "good" to pass, otherwise it counts as your first fail in your career.

Grizzly757

if you are worrying about the minimums then you aren't where you should be for OCS. You need to be hitting the maximums in at least 2 out of the 3 categories.

Roger that. I figured that was the case. I crush pushups and situps and can hit the maximums for my age no problem. My run time however is in the Good-Excellent time frame at the moment which would put me pretty close to the good-sat. for the age group below me. I have heard that the IST can add a whole min+ to your run time due to sleep deprivation and caloric intake which would put me dangerously close to sat. If they use the correct age appropriate times then even if I added a whole two minutes to my run time, I am still good to go!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The PRT numbers are based on the individuals age. However, if you are worrying about the minimums then you aren't where you should be for OCS. You need to be hitting the maximums in at least 2 out of the 3 categories.
I agree that if someone is struggling to hit the minimums then they'll have a hard time, but you don't need to max any category before OCS to succeed. In fact, if you can score just 'excellent' overall then you'd be ahead of most of your peers.

That is right. There were very few maximum scores in my OCS class. Some were outstanding, but most scores were excellent. The PT at Navy OCS is meant to maintain your current level of fitness not make you a pt stud. That being said I went from low good to high excellent in my short stay. Show up in descent shape and you'll be totally fine. Besides Navy OCS is turning into a... finish the sentence for me.

findingo ponbay

You will not swim the PRT. If you cant run the 1.5 mile (either to slow or you quit) you are going to H-Class. There are 4 PFA's (IST, In-PFA, Mid-PFA, Out-PFA). Failing any portion of the IST puts you in H-class for 3 weeks. Can't run your going to Med Hold. If your an aviator NAMI hates candidates that go into med hold.

so we swim 50 yds then?

btw, thank you for your response and sorry in advance if i'm bringing on the dumb!

Areum

I hope this wasn't asked before, but how long can i sit on a pro rec? I was pro rec'd for SNA/NFO on January 9th 2014 (at least that's when my recruiter notified me, the board might have happened earlier). However, since i applied as INTEL on my docket as #1, he told me I could wait for the results of the intel board happening in February first before deciding. If all goes to hell and INTEL is delayed even further, how long can I hold onto the pro-rec before deciding to request a Final select?

LawlessNavyman

I have a question about LoR's and Interivews. I'm AD and have an old senior chief that said he would give me a write up but i dont know if i should have him fill out a 1131/5 form or should i use a LoR form. I hear that AD should really only use the 1131/5 form and the LoR form is more for civilians. Also what is the name of the LoR form because i have been trying to find it everywhere. Could anyone give me some guidance as to what i should have him fill out so i can add it to my package.