• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

scarimore

Too close for missiles, switching to knife hands.
Do we really need to bring all medical/dental records with us to OCS?
I would bring any immunization records you can get a hold of because there's about 8 shots they'll try to stick in you in the 4th week. The more you can prove you're current on the better.

eddieoctane

I would bring any immunization records you can get a hold of because there's about 8 shots they'll try to stick in you in the 4th week. The more you can prove you're current on the better.

You'd think with crap like meningitis, they would vaccinate in the first few days. But week 4? Half the base could be laid up with melting brains by that point.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You'd think with crap like meningitis, they would vaccinate in the first few days. But week 4? Half the base could be laid up with melting brains by that point.
Well, they take your blood on Medical Monday, I gotta figure they're testing it for some of that stuff.

PrudasJiest

Haze Gray
Which is likely more accurate, the OCR on the website or the DEP Officer Guide to Success you get when you contract?
The dudes are in the booklet are PTing in the old white t-shirt uniforms, which advises me to trust the former....but the description of ranks in the latter seems to be more precise:
(DEP Booklet) 5. Sir/Ma'am, an O-1 in the United States Navy is an Ensign. His insignia is a one gold bar collar device, or one 1/2-inch gold stripe outboard of one gold give-pointed star on black shoulder boards, or one 1/2-inch gold stripe below one gold give-pointed star on service dress blue uniform sleeves.

(Website OCR)
Picture of Collar Insignia
One
gold
bar

Picture of Shoulderboard
One gold 1/2-inch
stripe outboard of a
gold five point star

Picture of Sleeve
One gold 1/2-inch
stripe below a gold
five pointed star

Also, how anal are they about the closeness of your shave? I can shave every which direction, but there's still black dots visible on my jawline despite being able to brush my hands over it and not feel any prickles or resistance. I've never gotten closer than this. After shave being a prohibited item also means that my face will be thoroughly cut-up/bumpy/generally shitty looking.

Also Also, my orders state state to report no earlier than 1600 on Saturday. What exactly happens if you check in Saturday instead of Sunday?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Also, how anal are they about the closeness of your shave? I can shave every which direction, but there's still black dots visible on my jawline despite being able to brush my hands over it and not feel any prickles or resistance. I've never gotten closer than this. After shave being a prohibited item also means that my face will be thoroughly cut-up/bumpy/generally shitty looking.
Some go by sight, some by touch. For example, in H-Class, when inspecting us, Master Chief had us take out our driver's license and run the edge along our cheek and neck. If you could hear it scratching against the stubble, your shave was not close enough. Then after I classed up, our DI handed out a few demerits to our med body, who had a few whiskers on his chin, it actually sort of looked like he'd shaved everywhere but that one spot. But it was very noticeable, I think the black dots thing is fairly common, and as long as you're checking that it's smooth, it should be fine.

Also Also, my orders state state to report no earlier than 1600 on Saturday. What exactly happens if you check in Saturday instead of Sunday?
Whoever's standing watch at King Hall will tell you to get a hotel room and come back in the morning. They won't put you up for the night, as I think the old policy used to be. So there's no reason to check in before Sunday morning. Might as well get a room at the Lodge or the Gateway, catch up with your classmates, and head to the Red Parrot or something for your last night of freedom.

longhorn4life

I am currently in week 4 at OCS. Just got the booster shot for meningitis and a couple others yesterday. We also go back tomorrow for a second round of shots.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
How much leave do you get after graduation from OCS? More of a question for a prior who had a significant amount accrued. Trying to see what timeline will be since we either have to rent house or sell it.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
How much leave do you get after graduation from OCS? More of a question for a prior who had a significant amount accrued. Trying to see what timeline will be since we either have to rent house or sell it.
The standard 2.5 days per month, so about a week total while you're there. As for how much you can take afterwards depends on where you're going next, specifically your "report NLT" date. I think I only had about two weeks to get down to Pensacola for API, but you can ask for househunting leave once you get to your next command, although since you're a prior, I think there's a limit of ten days per year. Or maybe I have that mixed up with TLE.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
The standard 2.5 days per month, so about a week total while you're there. As for how much you can take afterwards depends on where you're going next, specifically your "report NLT" date. I think I only had about two weeks to get down to Pensacola for API, but you can ask for househunting leave once you get to your next command, although since you're a prior, I think there's a limit of ten days per year. Or maybe I have that mixed up with TLE.
Yeah, I have about 60 days accrued. I figured 10 was the norm between OCS and perm sury station but wasn't sure. I am a SWO so will probably be rolling straight to the ship without school.

crunchthehuman

pilot
I received my Pro-Rec for both SNA and NFO and I feel extremely fortunate to receive either one, but I had a question. I had NFO as my first choice and SNA as second (my recruiter suggested this) and was informed that I would likely get final selected for NFO, but SNA was still a possibility. I would be happy with either, but I have a slight preference to SNA. Is it too late to switch my preferences? My OR wasn't sure and is finding out, but I was curious if anyone else had encountered a similar situation.

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
I received my Pro-Rec for both SNA and NFO and I feel extremely fortunate to receive either one, but I had a question. I had NFO as my first choice and SNA as second (my recruiter suggested this) and was informed that I would likely get final selected for NFO, but SNA was still a possibility. I would be happy with either, but I have a slight preference to SNA. Is it too late to switch my preferences? My OR wasn't sure and is finding out, but I was curious if anyone else had encountered a similar situation.

If I understand the process correctly, if you want to go with your 2nd pref over your first, you have to decline in writing your 1st pref Pro-Rec. Does that sound correct @NavyOffRec ?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I understand the process correctly, if you want to go with your 2nd pref over your first, you have to decline in writing your 1st pref Pro-Rec. Does that sound correct @NavyOffRec ?
However it works out, I'd make damn sure before declining ANYTHING you've been selected for. It's easy to check out, tough to check back in; like The Eagles Hotel California... in reverse!:eek:
BzB

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I remember having to write a letter of intent accepting SNA and declining SNFO and SWO. Even though SNA was my first choice.
So I'd assume that when/if your recruiter asks you to write that letter, you'd just put SNA as the one you want.

exNavyOffRec

I would call it declining, when I had my guess write the letter if they wanted choice #2 I told them to put "I would like to have my FS letter processed for my #2 choice instead of my #1 choice that is on my application because......."