• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
MikeVt,

That's correct. Barring any medical disqualifications (you don't need a physical for selection boards) and you don't do anything criminal, you're going to get a FINSEL. Pro-recs come from the selection board and FINSELs come from OCS itself, but someone correct me on that please if I'm wrong.

alaurin

All day, every day!
FINSELs come from a FINSEL board, I believe. You're issued your OCS date by them with your FINSEL. Pro-rec Y simply means you are given a slot in the community you applied to for up to 60 days (window for your paperwork to complete).

mich313

Supply/SWO/Intel
Here's a dumb question. The place where we run at OCS, is it flat or hilly? I'm noticing when I run depending on the route I take my 1.5 time ranges anywhere from 14:30 to 16:30. I know I'm incredibly slow (working on it) just wondering if I should be expecting hill running for prt or flat.

Thanks!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Here's a dumb question. The place where we run at OCS, is it flat or hilly? I'm noticing when I run depending on the route I take my 1.5 time ranges anywhere from 14:30 to 16:30. I know I'm incredibly slow (working on it) just wondering if I should be expecting hill running for prt or flat.

Thanks!
The PRT is done on a track, nice and flat. However, the IST in the first week is done at like 0430, so don't expect to get your best time. Aim for a safety margin of at least a minute since you will be dog-tired and won't have eaten since the evening before (plus the stretches suck).

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Stretches?
"GOOOOOOOD MORNING REGIMENT! YOUR FIRST MORNING DYNAMIC STRETCH WILL BE...TOE HEEL ROCKING!"

Before every PT session, the whole regiment stretches as a group coordinated by the Regimental PT Body (one of the candios), and s/he leads the group through about ten Navy-approved stretches. And they're notoriously bad at not working well, so try to stretch on your own before PT. There will usually be some time to do this on the grinder, but some class teams will insist that you stick to the approved ones.
They are:
Toe-heel rocking,
Partial squats,
Butt kicks left and right,
Trunk bends fore and aft/left and right,
Jog in place (keep jogging in place for the remainder),
Punches to the front/sky, and
Arm circles to the front/rear.

Last edited:

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The stretches have all be completely revamped according to folks I know who graduated very recently. A big improvement, apparently. I'm amazed more people weren't injured by those pathetic warm-ups we had to do.

WEGL12

VT-28
The stretches have all be completely revamped according to folks I know who graduated very recently. A big improvement, apparently. I'm amazed more people weren't injured by those pathetic warm-ups we had to do.

They were still doing the bs stretches tycho explained when 16-13 graduated. So they must have just changed them. I always thought the stretches killed my prt scores but nothing you can do about it.

Another thing with the Pfa. Don't expect a 10 minute break before the start of the run. Some people expected it to be like an official navy of Pfa but it's not. We would often warm up and do push-ups/sit-ups at Prichard field then run over to the track and immediately start the timed run. Main thing just understand it's going to suck (like everything else at OCS) and the only thing you can do is be ready for it and play only with the game/system of OCS.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The prt instruction only allows for something like 2 min breaks between exercises. OCS is the only command I've been at that follows it, or remotely makes you do proper form.

But let's be realistic -- if you need a 10 min rest to "run" 1.5 miles in like 12 1/2 minutes, you're in sorry shape.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
The prt instruction only allows for something like 2 min breaks between exercises. OCS is the only command I've been at that follows it, or remotely makes you do proper form.

But let's be realistic -- if you need a 10 min rest to "run" 1.5 miles in like 12 1/2 minutes, you're in sorry shape.
For us, we only ever got the legit rest time for the Out-PFA, since that's the one that actually goes on your record. All other ones were run by the DI's, and so the only rest time you got was the time when you counted for your partner. Then again, that lasts about two minutes, so it should be plenty of rest anyway.

WEGL12

VT-28

I agree you shouldn't need more than 2 min before the run. I know when I did PFAs in BDCP we always had a longer wait between the run and core exercises but they may just not enforce the actual policy. It didn't bother me but I saw several people struggle on the run because of having to sprint to the track and start the time run. Like I said, people going to OCS just need to be aware and it's all part of the game. You just have to roll with it and move to the next step.

mrdrown

I realize many of these questions may be answered in bits and pieces throughout this thread, but to avoid having to look through 178 pages and in hopes of getting the most updated information I have a few questions. I'm a Supply applicant waiting for the January board. I have no prior experience.

The story of the "Black Ninja" is striking my curiosity. I'd love to hear more about it and more stories, specifically the story about the class where only a few people graduated. I'm glad to read he's not there anymore.

What's the deal with the silver dollars? Is this a tradition? Gesture of gratitude?

SUYA... I'm assuming this is the sandpit? Sand Under Your Arms?

What are the different jobs that one gets assigned during candio phase? Are these assigned my the class, the class leadership, or something you volunteer for?

If one gets rolled and has to wait 3 weeks for the next class, what do you do during those 3 weeks other than work on whatever it is you failed? Who do you answer to during this time?

There is a schedule for Supply school on the Navy site. According to it, the last supply school of 2014 (or at least the last scheduled one) started in June. What happens if I were to finish OCS in July? What do I do/where do I go while waiting for the next supply school to start?

BackOrdered

Contributor
The story of the "Black Ninja" is striking my curiosity. I'd love to hear more about it and more stories, specifically the story about the class where only a few people graduated. I'm glad to read he's not there anymore.

The Black Ninja was just about the most feared DI ever to attend Navy OCS. I've seen and heard of many flavors of DI, but none quite like him. Physically, think Kimbo Slice in MARPATs. He rarely ever yelled, but was still the worst guy you could get caught being nasty around. He had a way of just "appearing" (hence the nickname), and took the cake for worst/longest beat downs. I saw alot of guys who were doing ok roll after just encountering him out of the blue. And he almost ALWAYS failed candidates during RLP, but would only ever inspect ONE guy for like 40 minutes. In-PFA? Count on him zeroing you out. That was basically his hook, nothing GOOD ever came from having an evolution with him, you would just fail. Thus the legend status.

Personally (offline and after OCS) I thought he was a great guy. *shrug*

Last edited: