• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

exNavyOffRec

So do as he says and bring them, contrary to what has been said in the last few posts about this?

Any reason why I'd be told not to bring them to MEPS but to OCS?

Not that I can think of, at least not any ethical reason, you can PM me the medical issue and I can give you my opinion, but if MEPS doesn't need to see it than neither should OTC

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Not that I can think of, at least not any ethical reason, you can PM me the medical issue and I can give you my opinion, but if MEPS doesn't need to see it than neither should OTC

So upon looking at my email chain with him, I didn't clearly spell out "Do I need to take stuff I didn't take to MEPS?" and just asked about all the medical stuff in a general sense (records, letter from doc, etc) and he had a one liner "Bring that stuff" reply, probably not remembering what I did or didn't take three or four months ago to MEPS.

If MEPS didn't need it and OTC therefore shouldn't, I'll go ahead and stick with the advice here of not suspiciously showing up with new stuff, even if it is about stuff already disclosed and waived. If he gets more specific later, I'll shoot you that PM. Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

So upon looking at my email chain with him, I didn't clearly spell out "Do I need to take stuff I didn't take to MEPS?" and just asked about all the medical stuff in a general sense (records, letter from doc, etc) and he had a one liner "Bring that stuff" reply, probably not remembering what I did or didn't take three or four months ago to MEPS.

If MEPS didn't need it and OTC therefore shouldn't, I'll go ahead and stick with the advice here of not suspiciously showing up with new stuff, even if it is about stuff already disclosed and waived. If he gets more specific later, I'll shoot you that PM. Thank you!

I am still concerned that maybe an honest oversight on your end may cause issues in the future.

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
I vaguely remember reading something here about there now being a shuttle/van/bus from the airport to Newport so you don't have to take a taxi. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Silhouette

I vaguely remember reading something here about there now being a shuttle/van/bus from the airport to Newport so you don't have to take a taxi. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I threw it out there on the 27 Jan class thread. I believe Cozy Cab is the one we tell our students to use and it is also mentioned on the OCS website. Last I checked it's $20/person from PVD to the base.

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
I guess this question not only applies to OCS but beyond. Budgeting will be required for the future which is why I ask now, as my loan repayments are quite high.

When something is issued, does that mean it will be given, or does it mean it's a required item we're responsible for purchasing? Uniforms, jackets, gloves, books, NWUs, boots, etc can become quite expensive. I know there's $3000 to be paid at the end of OCS for many of these things. Where's the dividing line? Does the uniform allowance, if any, come close to helping with what is necessary? Are the minimum required personally acquired equipment ever enough?

yakboyslim

None
I guess this question not only applies to OCS but beyond. Budgeting will be required for the future which is why I ask now, as my loan repayments are quite high.

When something is issued, does that mean it will be given, or does it mean it's a required item we're responsible for purchasing? Uniforms, jackets, gloves, books, NWUs, boots, etc can become quite expensive. I know there's $3000 to be paid at the end of OCS for many of these things. Where's the dividing line? Does the uniform allowance, if any, come close to helping with what is necessary? Are the minimum required personally acquired equipment ever enough?

Unfortunately expect to pay quite a bit of money for your own stuff. Flight gears is issued, but uniforms are not. Everything at OCS is your dime. You can offset this by trying not to be the guy who buys 5 sets of PT clothes so he can have a perfect stack for RLP. (Easier to talk yourself out of here than while at OCS. You will think you need it there) Also even in flight school expect to spend some money on some stuff (don't know what it is like for SNA), but us SNFO's have to buy a certain number of things (dry erase marker, plotters,nav bags, etc.) but you can keep it cheap by avoiding buying some of the useless crap (kneeboard timer comes to mind) that Wings will sell you. Besides the initial OCS purchase none of it is too bad.

When I went it was Cozy Cab. The Navy will reimburse you for it too.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You will pay for all your uniform items. It comes to about $2000 if you don't get more expensive dress uniforms (don't). You get an initial uniform allowance (google for most current) and opening a star card will knock an additional 10% off.

Keep all receipts related to travel (except gas, that doesn't count). The Navy will reimburse you.

USCGSSO

I'm wondering what things I can bring right in with me to OCS, and what if aything I should leave in my POV. I'm thinking of anything not on the official list the OCS website gives (things like clear nail polish, flashlights, extra items, etc.) When is access allowed to POV's? When are other things we bring in, like alarm clocks allowed, and where are they stored? The OCS website says some things, and some of the survival guides and forum entries say other things. Any good guidance is appreciated.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm wondering what things I can bring right in with me to OCS, and what if aything I should leave in my POV. I'm thinking of anything not on the official list the OCS website gives (things like clear nail polish, flashlights, extra items, etc.) When is access allowed to POV's? When are other things we bring in, like alarm clocks allowed, and where are they stored? The OCS website says some things, and some of the survival guides and forum entries say other things. Any good guidance is appreciated.

Search function is your friend. This has been covered multiple times.

Yggdrasil

SQAOCS-1: My personal glasses have transition lenses in them, are these just going to be chum in the water for the class CPO/DI until I'm issued the BCG's? I haven't found any information on those types of lenses even after contacting OTC. My two options so far are; Buy a new pair (~$300 after my insurance covers some), or just take the extra attention until I get my BCG's.

Edited to explain what transition lenses are to those who may not know. Transition lenses darken when they come in contact with UV rays so inside they're clear, but outside they get as dark as sunglasses without the reflection.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SQAOCS-1: My personal glasses have transition lenses in them, are these just going to be chum in the water for the class CPO/DI until I'm issued the BCG's?
OCS is an equal opportunity misery machine, you will be "water chum" either way:eek: , soooo... save the 3oo quid for your graduation weekend!;)
CHUM2.jpg
BzB:cool:

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
SQAOCS-1: My personal glasses have transition lenses in them, are these just going to be chum in the water for the class CPO/DI until I'm issued the BCG's? I haven't found any information on those types of lenses even after contacting OTC. My two options so far are; Buy a new pair (~$300 after my insurance covers some), or just take the extra attention until I get my BCG's.

Edited to explain what transition lenses are to those who may not know. Transition lenses darken when they come in contact with UV rays so inside they're clear, but outside they get as dark as sunglasses without the reflection.

A few people in my class, including myself, came to OCS with transitions lenses. Aside from one guy being nicknamed "Shady Portholes", nothing ever came of it. Just wear what you have and wait for the BCGs.

Yggdrasil

A few people in my class, including myself, came to OCS with transitions lenses. Aside from one guy being nicknamed "Shady Portholes", nothing ever came of it. Just wear what you have and wait for the BCGs.

Sounds good, thanks for the info; this goes to BusyBee604 and MasterBates as well.