• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

yakboyslim

None
Thanks everyone. I'm going to have a chat with my brother and let him know. Could be worse - I could have got one of the earlier class dates and missed my son's birth in December. Upset brother ain't so bad in retrospect.

Six weeks in you absolutely will be able to make a call to congratulate him. Just ask for it. The class leadership aren't monsters and, I might be giving away too many secrets here, but they do actually treat you like people (after RLP). Just ask. You will not get leave, and you will not get a new class date, but you will likely get a call at whatever time you need it.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Don't. Do. This.

Think about how many candidates will gladly take your spot if you change dates because of a wedding...a spot you may never get back, because it'll appear to your recruiter that you're not the committed candidate he thought you were.

Like eas7888 stated, in the military, you are going to miss important events in the lives of your friends and loved ones. If this is something you can't deal with, you might want to consider a new line of work.

FWIW, I was there, on the flight line after a deployment, when a fellow pilot met his son for the first time...at the age of 7 months. This is not uncommon, by the way.

What he said. There are many sacrifices you'll have to make.

bOx53.gif

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Thanks everyone. I'm going to have a chat with my brother and let him know. Could be worse - I could have got one of the earlier class dates and missed my son's birth in December. Upset brother ain't so bad in retrospect.

Why would your brother be upset? Weddings are overrated eitherway.

shutout39

pilot
Guess I'm the only one with Stupid OCS questions! I have only seen this in the Marine threads but can civilians bring broken in boots to OCS? The closest relevant info I have found is just to buy some good athletic inserts and slide them in to the boots they give you. I ask for two reasons: 1) I have always been prone to getting blisters in new footwear (damn my soft silky smooth skin). 2) I have never run in boots and need to get used to it, so I'm planning on buying boots regardless.... I just need to know if I should buy Navy approved boots that I can bring to OCS. Thanks.

yakboyslim

None
I have never run in boots and need to get used to it, so I'm planning on buying boots regardless.

My personal experience - You won't do enough running in boots at Navy OCS to necessitate that. Sure I ran a few times, but not for any real distance. We're talking a few laps around a gym.

Also they allow for people to get used to the boots. You alternate days between boots and go-fasters for a week or so before being in the boots everyday. Also if you get blisters you can get moleskin and a sneaker chit (wear sneakers until your feet recover) if need be.

The most uncomfortable thing about OCS is the suck and the sleep deprivation. So just enjoy your time beforehand, don't worry about boots too much.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Six weeks in you absolutely will be able to make a call to congratulate him.

I beg to differ on this point. It can and will vary greatly from class to class; I'm sure eas remembers my class not having phone privileges until very late in the game. But for the situation you have described, they would probably give you a 5-10 min phone call. Yak's right, they aren't monsters (even if they seem like it much of the time ;D ).

yakboyslim

None
But for the situation you have described, they would probably give you a 5-10 min phone call.

Most classes will get phone calls by 6 weeks in, but they had reduced that alot even over the course of my time there. Like mike said it will vary, but my point was that the class teams would allow this unique circumstance if you ask for it appropriately.

borednstoked

Couple questions. First, I'm prior Navy, how big of a deal is it if I don't come with my ribbons/medals? I would think I could pick up a new set at the NEX.

Next, if it's a big deal and I need to order them beforehand online somewhere, do I only wear those on my DD-214 (I would think so) or do I include those issued after I was discharged such as GWOT and Iraq. I submitted a request for an update (DD-215) but was told that could take a year.

Also, for the medals, should they be standard or the polished type.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You'll have time to get medals at the NEX, but I would have mine ready if I had them. Less to worry about. Most of the priors I knew had their racks already set up when they showed up. Most folks wear the standard kind, ot polished. Don't think the is a preference though.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Couple questions. First, I'm prior Navy, how big of a deal is it if I don't come with my ribbons/medals? I would think I could pick up a new set at the NEX.

Next, if it's a big deal and I need to order them beforehand online somewhere, do I only wear those on my DD-214 (I would think so) or do I include those issued after I was discharged such as GWOT and Iraq. I submitted a request for an update (DD-215) but was told that could take a year.

Also, for the medals, should they be standard or the polished type.

Hey borednstoked,

Order your medals before you go. If you documentation, other than your 214 that shows you're entitled to the other medals, you should be safe. They don't check your 214 or other supporting documentation. That being said, do what you choose when it comes to your medals. You can always have your rack re-built at a later date, since the medals are the most expensive part of that equation, it would only be a small inconvenience.

Medals should be the standard type. The polished type are forbidden per the OCR. At least that was true as of June. Best of luck to you.

By the way, this is where I picked up my ribbons and medals from: http://www.ultrathin.com/ Having the thin ribbons is nice too. . .I felt it was worth the few extra bucks.

borednstoked

Hey borednstoked,

Order your medals before you go. If you documentation, other than your 214 that shows you're entitled to the other medals, you should be safe. They don't check your 214 or other supporting documentation. That being said, do what you choose when it comes to your medals. You can always have your rack re-built at a later date, since the medals are the most expensive part of that equation, it would only be a small inconvenience.

Medals should be the standard type. The polished type are forbidden per the OCR. At least that was true as of June. Best of luck to you.

By the way, this is where I picked up my ribbons and medals from: http://www.ultrathin.com/ Having the thin ribbons is nice too. . .I felt it was worth the few extra bucks.

Awesome thanks. So the online ribbons are of equal quality?

borednstoked

Another thing. The list of required docs says to bring your spouse and dependents birth certificates, id's, etc. No problem with the dependent but do I need to take my wife's DL to OCS? Also, she's from Japan. Does that mean she needs to try and get a birth certificate sent here from Japan...and would it need to be translated?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Awesome thanks. So the online ribbons are of equal quality?
Yes

Another thing. The list of required docs says to bring your spouse and dependents birth certificates, id's, etc. No problem with the dependent but do I need to take my wife's DL to OCS? Also, she's from Japan. Does that mean she needs to try and get a birth certificate sent here from Japan...and would it need to be translated?

I took certified copies, or copies that were notarized (witnessed original copy) and that worked to get my spouse enrolled in DEERS. If your wife is already on health insurance, and doesn't need to be enrolled in DEERS, then you can wait and enroll her once you get to Pensacola. Otherwise, yes, you need all of the afore mentioned documents.