• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

NavalAviatorDad

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if they go through in due course, on what date would the OCS class entering on 5/30/10 graduate? The Friday before or after the 13th week anniversary (i.e. 8/27/10? 9/3/10? Other?)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My math says they should be graduating August 20th. OCS is 12 weeks.

Heads up, if you're trying to make travel plans, I wouldn't until they get closer to graduation. Probably once they make Candio would be the safest bet. Lots of things happen and only ~50% of the original class will graduate on with that class. The other half will roll to other classes or worse.

A

AlexSmart

Hey I was watching some OCS videos on youtube and a recent class was wearing some custom T shirts for PT. They were definitely not Navy issue, they looked almost like MMA/UFC t shirts, and they each had some degrading nickname screen printed on the back. Is this standard practice now at OCS?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Hey I was watching some OCS videos on youtube and a recent class was wearing some custom T shirts for PT. They were definitely not Navy issue, they looked almost like MMA/UFC t shirts, and they each had some degrading nickname screen printed on the back. Is this standard practice now at OCS?

That's been going on a while - the Candi O's make their own t-shirts and get to wear them.

A

AlexSmart

What determines whether you respond to a d.I. with yes sir or aye sir? Is the first answering a question and the latter confirming an order?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
What determines whether you respond to a d.I. with yes sir or aye sir? Is the first answering a question and the latter confirming an order?

Here's how it worked when I went through AOCS 23 years ago: "yes sir" or "no sir" are responses to questions that require a yes or no answer. You could also answer with "sir, this candidate does not know but will find out" if you didn't know the answer to a yes or no question. "Aye, aye sir" is the proper response to an order given that is not a question and therefore cannot be answered with a yes or no. It means that you understand the order and will comply. Of course, if a more recent graduate chimes in with something different, I would go with that gouge.

By the way, the class T-shirts existed from before my time at AOCS.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Here's how it worked when I went through AOCS 23 years ago: "yes sir" or "no sir" are responses to questions that require a yes or no answer. You could also answer with "sir, this candidate does not know but will find out" if you didn't know the answer to a yes or no question. "Aye, aye sir" is the proper response to an order given that is not a question and therefore cannot be answered with a yes or no. It means that you understand the order and will comply. Of course, if a more recent graduate chimes in with something different, I would go with that gouge.

By the way, the class T-shirts existed from before my time at AOCS.

Basically the above is correct, except nowadays it is "aye, sir", not "aye aye".

Yes or no sir is to answer a question. Aye sir is to respond to a command, statement or order.

So a few examples:

"Candidate, are you a shithead?" "Yes sir"

"Candidate shithead, front and center!" "Aye, sir" (you go running to him)

"Candidate, you suck!" "Aye sir!" (respond to statements with Aye sir. He's not asking you)

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
^^ What they said.

And as for shirts, you'll organize a T-Shirt committee at some point after Week 6 ORLP, as by then your class is *fairly* stabilized. The class will come up with a design they like, get it approved (usually this is just checking for super offensive words/pictures, not judging your design taste or lack thereof). Getting nicknames is actually a nice way to relax on a night there. You get to tell stories and figure out the nicknames. You can get short sleeve, long sleeve, and hoodies, depending on the seasons. You put it on after the victory run, so it's for sure a source of pride.

A

AlexSmart

Ran across this while looking for experiences and gouge on OCS. I was thinking of showing it to my OR as it seems much more intense and detailed than the standard video they show at the recruiting district. This might be old news, but I thought I would post it:

http://www.projo.com/extra/2008/ocs/

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Seen it before somewhere. That is a good representation of what you'll go through there. I was there during the making of this and recognize a few faces in there. I was in week 4 when this was made.

boogerbrain

Hello All,

I am currently being reviewed by the April boards (for surface warfare, intelligence, and information warfare; yeah I know this site is specifically used by naval aviators) and have a few questions about OCS.
Q1. I passed my physical but tend to get nervous at hospitals, especially when having my blood pressure tested (i do have a slight irregular heart beat, i.e. sinus arrhythmia which was cleared by both my personal doctor and the one who did the physical at NNMC). I'm supposing upon my arrival at OCS they will again take my blood pressure. What happens to officer candidates if their blood pressure is too high? Are they automatically dropped and sent packing? If not dropped, what happens to the officer candidate?
Q2. Are labs again taken at the beginning of OCS?
Q3. For grooming purposes, is a small pair of scissors and tweezors allowed at OCS?
Thanks.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
I was too out of it to remember what SWOs did for their physicals, but to answer Q3, you're allowed toenail clippers, tweezers, and a cuticle scissors. For both grooming of yourself and your uniforms.

boogerbrain

I was too out of it to remember what SWOs did for their physicals, but to answer Q3, you're allowed toenail clippers, tweezers, and a cuticle scissors. For both grooming of yourself and your uniforms.

Thanks, gotta keep those nose hairs and eyebrows in check. Tested my blood pressure again today (at the local grocery store) and got it down to 132 over 65 (third try; ten deep breathes in between each try) so once more I fell within military standards. Gonna test myself various times until OCS starts (if I get accepted that is), experiment with the best ways to control my breathing to get that blood pressure within military standards so I pass with no problems at OCS (if blood pressure tests are taken at OCS). Just hope the DIs aren't chewing me out before the blood pressure test is taken; will certainly stress me out having a DI in my face telling me what a worthless, pathetic turd I am lol.