• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

MidWestEwo

None
When I commissioned (June 2009) , pilots didn't have a PCS. That being said, our proceed time was about 4 days. You didn't HAVE to show up then, you could just take leave and show up by your REPORT NLT date. If you chose to do that you would just be deducted the leave you accrued while at OCS.

I went to Oklahoma City to see family and friends and get a few things before I drove to Pensacola. I stayed in OKC for about 7 days and just had it docked upon my arrival.

4 days? Rough. I will have to fly all the way back to Ohio, pack up everything to move and be down to Pcola in only 4 days? I think just the drive alone is close to a full day for me.

Here is a question. What do most people do about a place down there when they arrive? Should you just move down there and take whatever base housing is available until you get oriented and find a better place to live? Or do you find a place to live first, and figure out all of the rental agreement stuff before you head down? I am picturing getting down there and being overwhelmed with everything. Is it easier just to move down to base and not worry about commuting for the first month or so?

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Proceed time is time that they have calculated for you to arrive at your next destination. This will not be charged leave. Sometimes Report NLT than times are a month or so out and if you exceed your proceed time but still arrive before your Report NLT date, you can be charged leave.

As a pilot you will NOT be getting PCS, only NFO's get PCS contrary to the rumor mill.

What's this PCS difference that NFOs get? How does that affect the 3 days to report?

tyrone

Does anyone know of any OCS grads that were able to surf during their time in Newport?

Ruggles, Point Judith, Narraganset, 2nd Beach are all pretty tempting on a good swell.

Any other future OC's out there planning on paddling out on that one day of liberty?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Does anyone know of any OCS grads that were able to surf during their time in Newport?

Ruggles, Point Judith, Narraganset, 2nd Beach are all pretty tempting on a good swell.

Any other future OC's out there planning on paddling out on that one day of liberty?

Haha yeah right. You'll want to just sleep any chance you get. Other than that, you'll want to gorge yourself with unhealthy food on liberty... IF you get it.

It ain't Club Med.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
So how many of you left OCS with a nice six-pack? I imagine all of those core and ab-related exercises would leave your abs pretty shredded, especially considering the lack of food I've heard about.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So how many of you left OCS with a nice six-pack? I imagine all of those core and ab-related exercises would leave your abs pretty shredded, especially considering the lack of food I've heard about.
I left after getting a 6-pack of beer :).

But yea, a lot of people do get into pretty good shape. The trick is to keep it.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Haha what a great first impression that would be. I'll just rent one if there are decent waves on the few if any days of liberty.

I don't care how hardcore you are. I guarantee you're not going to go surfing. The few breaks you get, IF you get them, will be spent eating and sleeping. Feel free to try and go rent a board or whatever...your priorities just change when you finally get out of the cage.

tyrone

I don't care how hardcore you are. I guarantee you're not going to go surfing. The few breaks you get, IF you get them, will be spent eating and sleeping. Feel free to try and go rent a board or whatever...your priorities just change when you finally get out of the cage.

What did you do on your liberty? Just eat and sleep on base?

FastMover

NFO
None
What did you do on your liberty? Just eat and sleep on base?

Me and a couple buddies would just go out and do normal stuff, i.e. go to Barnes and Noble, the movies, etc. A few weekends we rented hotel rooms at the Hampton Inn which was nice. Just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

I had a 6 pack until Candio... then I slowly started gaining weight, until getting downright tubby in advanced... been working it back ever since. It's easy to get into shape at OCS... hard to keep it, ESPECIALLY when the "forced" pt and eating restrictions end. I don't think I worked out for like at LEAST a month after OCS... and even when I did it was sporadic. Took me until advanced to start going to the gym regularly again.

alpineskier

gear up, Newspaper, your airplane
pilot
I gained weight while at ocs. Went from 175 lbs to 185 lbs. I ate a TON during officer candidate phase and never really changed my ways during candio phase. That and unlimited vending machine use among other made me fairly "soft" by the time I left. My girlfriend was suprised how "different" i.e large I had gotten during my 3 months at "summer camp" as she would call it.

CalamityJean

I know which way the wind shines!
Here's an odd question: I spit like a camel when I run. Is that allowed during the runs at OCS or will it get my ass beat for being "nasty"? Might seem irrelevant, but its a part of my rhythm for some reason.

FastMover

NFO
None
Here's an odd question: I spit like a camel when I run. Is that allowed during the runs at OCS or will it get my ass beat for being "nasty"? Might seem irrelevant, but its a part of my rhythm for some reason.

Don't do it. You won't be spitting at all while PTing, marching, etc. at OCS. I was the same way, you just get over it. Good way to get you and your entire class beat.