• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Was wondering about how they drill you on Ranks/Insignias while at OCS. Will they ask you for just certain devices, want the full description, or little of both.

Examples.

Question: What is the Navy Captain Collar Device?
Answer: Sir/Ma'am the collar device for a Navy Captain is one silver eagle.

Or

Question: What is the Rank and Insignia of an O-6 in the Navy?
Answer: Sir/Ma'am, an O-6 in the United States Navy is a Captain. His insignia is a one silver eagle collar device, or four 1/2-inch gold stripes outboard of one gold five-pointed star on black shoulder boards, or four 1/2-inch gold stripes below one gold five-pointed star on service dress blue uniform sleeves.

I know there could be several different variations I need to be ready for, but these are just 2 examples.

I was wondering the same thing... if anyone knows, it would be helpful! :)

m26

Contributor
usually its always the star.

joe-biden-sex-panther.jpg

LET73

It's always a star. I'm pretty sure I never really had to learn the staff corps insignia for OCS--I don't remember being asked about it, and I do remember showing up at my first command and being pretty confused about all the weird collar devices the supply, JAG, medical, etc., types had on their collars....

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
you only describe the warfare pins, on the sleeve its a star.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Then why does VADM Robinson have his Medical Corps have his Medical Corps device on his sleeves? :confused:

I am bemused.
The question was not what all officers wear, but what you have to say at OCS.

AT OCS, it's always the star, unless it's an ADM's shoulderboards...then it's an anchor.

Ajleger

Things are definitely changing here at OCS. I'm here now, and the word (from instructors, and the class team) is that starting in mid November there will be 100+ classes with a 3-week indoc phase. Of course I don't know all the details. But things are definitely changing a lot.

4th week RLP now is also including the 6th PI inspection, and the ORLP is being done in the 6th week for the class in front of mine. Things are definitely changing, they are trying a lot of new things out. But knowing that really won't make a difference. However it changes to, you'll figure it out when you get here.. It's not like you can prepare for the stuff before you get here anyways. If you are in shape and know the big three, you'll be ahead of the game compared to a lot of people.

m26

Contributor
The question was not what all officers wear, but what you have to say at OCS.

AT OCS, it's always the star, unless it's an ADM's shoulderboards...then it's an anchor.

Oh... :eek:

My question was how it is in the fleet, because I was wondering. Stupid questions not about OCS... good job, me :p

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Things are definitely changing here at OCS. I'm here now, and the word (from instructors, and the class team) is that starting in mid November there will be 100+ classes with a 3-week indoc phase. Of course I don't know all the details. But things are definitely changing a lot.

4th week RLP now is also including the 6th PI inspection, and the ORLP is being done in the 6th week for the class in front of mine. Things are definitely changing, they are trying a lot of new things out. But knowing that really won't make a difference. However it changes to, you'll figure it out when you get here.. It's not like you can prepare for the stuff before you get here anyways. If you are in shape and know the big three, you'll be ahead of the game compared to a lot of people.

Please elaborate if you can, curious to what I'll be running into.

LET73

Oh... :eek:

My question was how it is in the fleet, because I was wondering. Stupid questions not about OCS... good job, me :p

Oh, sorry.... How it is in the fleet is that most people will have stars on their shoulder boards, but you'll run into a good number of people with oak leaves and other staff corps insignia. On the shoulder boards, it shows up in place of the star on both shoulder boards, and in other uniforms (khakis, coveralls, aqua-cammies), the left lapel will have the appropriate staff corps insignia, and the right lapel will have the rank insignia. Line officers will have rank insignia on both lapels.

nugget61

pilot
OCS related stupid question: Is there a december sna board this year? If so, are any dates changed due to holiday stand downs?

Viashino684

Final Select SNA
Yeah my recruiter mentioned the indoc phase is now 3 weeks, for when ill be going in december. I dont really know how its going to work, but he said hes got a guy graduating in early november and hes going to schedule a lunch meeting for the 3 of us and he can fill me in, unless someone beats me to it here.

Side note question. I searched for the "briefs" posts. and im still confused, are boxer briefs allowed during normal days and the as i call em, old school briefs used for inspection only?