• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

MidWestEwo

None
yea im actually getting custom orthodic inserts but not until thrusday. im just gonna tough it out.

I wouldn't even worry about custom orthodics. Check these out. http://www.foothealth.com/Freedom-Hi-Impact-Accommodator.aspx

They are high on the price on that site. I bought them from a small running store near me for 20 bucks. They are cheap and they work better than anything else my brother and I have tried and we both have issues with shin splints without them.

Srp7286

I wouldn't even worry about custom orthodics. Check these out. http://www.foothealth.com/Freedom-Hi-Impact-Accommodator.aspx

They are high on the price on that site. I bought them from a small running store near me for 20 bucks. They are cheap and they work better than anything else my brother and I have tried and we both have issues with shin splints without them.

Yea but I had a Podiatrist look at mine and said custom ones would be the best. I've used a similar product by that company and it didn't really do that much.

thanks for the advice though.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Cadence

Stupid question (obviously), are you ever allowed to lead in cadence during your five star resort stay in OCS?

frealis

So I just got of the phone with my LT and I have my PRT tomorrow at 10AM.

Since I failed it last time and taking 5 days later, and have done a few practice times around the 12 minute mark, shin splints are a issue for me.

Would anyone recommend me to try to keep up a high pace then leave time to go slower? Or should I try to keep a consistent pace knowing I have to make a lap every 2 mintues?

The only issue is with the 2 minute pace, it gives no room for error.

I usually run fairly slow for the first few quarter miles, then burn the rest of my energy on the rest. I've had shin splints, a sore hamstring, and something that resembles patellar tendonitis. Stretching was pivotal for me. I work with a guy who runs about 30 miles a week and he's constantly stretching. Stretch your calves, quadriceps, and hamstrings before and after each run, then ice

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
As far as shin splints go, I've found adrenaline does it for me. Remember you can rest all you want once you pass.

My best run time was when I did my best each lap, only slowing down when nausea started to set in because of the AZ heat. But these are just what work for me personally.

MidWestEwo

None
until your leg snaps from stress fractures

Most people who have shin splints do not have stress fractures. It is a combination of lack of stretching, too much rest between runs, and lack of weight training with the lower legs. Do resistance calf raises once a week, stretch by having someone push down on your feet while you sit on the ground, and ice in between runs without taking more than a day off in between and the shin splints will go away. Running does little to strengthen your legs, you have to throw in leg exercises too.

bigT86

Final Select SNA
I found toe raises and box jumps very beneficial to strengthening my lower legs. I also started wearing Vibram 5-fingers a few days a week to exercise and I've had no shin splint issues since.

chasejj

SWO? What is this "SWO" you speak of?
I was wondering about bringing stationary/envelopes/stamps to OCS to write friends and family. However, I haven't seen those items on either the "allowed" or "not allowed" lists. I was under the impression that letter writing was encouraged, so should I bring these things? Thanks!

kat27

They let me bring in my stamps. If you are worried about it, just have your parents send it to you.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
When I was there in Fall of '07 they issued you a box of stationary that you had to stamp. Since it was the hardest thing to stamp you usually ended up with three of them anyway. My family always got a kick out of the fact that it was "Navy" paper and envelopes. Stamps you can probably bring, and/or you'll get a chance to purchase after the first week or two. You should also be able to keep in touch via other means (email, "house" phone, or a cell phone left in your car, etc..) BUT a written letter certainly has a nice personal touch. Although if your DI is like mine and you have to write 8 1000 essay's over the course of the week you may not fee like writing a letter!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I saved all the letters and so did my wife. It will be an interesting time capsule.

MidWestEwo

None
Well it's pretty much official from a new ensign that just graduated. After November, all OCS classes will have 3 weeks of Indoctrination, and something about knowing rifle drill in 4 weeks instead of 8 weeks...