• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

m26

Contributor
Yeah, so no one will be thinking of it. And when it does pop out, I'll be screwed. :(

May be a non issue. I'm hoping I can aim my ADCP to graduate in the fall anyway, and head to OCS in January.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I sunburn pretty easily too and I never had a problem. Unless things have changed you will do most of your outdoor activities in the morning as previously mentioned. You might have a few extended sessions outdoors and get a nice dose of sun on you, but you'll usually have a nice layer of sand/mud/goose crap/etc covering you. Even still forearms and neck up are all that's exposed. Sneak in some Noxzema or sunscreen in your toiletries and unless you're some Powder-esk weirdo, you'll be good. If you are losing some sleep over this, just PT outside and get a tan prior to reporting, the DI's won't make you stay out there forever in July with the sun beating down on you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
-Will I have time in the morning to put on sunscreen?
Yes.
(Will the DIs yank me straight out of bed out into the sun ever?)
The DIs will never "yank" you out of bed. They kick the door in at 0500 and you rush out to line up like a bat out of hell.

m26

Contributor
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I sunburn pretty easily too and I never had a problem.

I got a Sunburn on Sunday. It's FL, but **** it's March.

If you are losing some sleep over this, just PT outside and get a tan prior to reporting, the DI's won't make you stay out there forever in July with the sun beating down on you.

I don't really tan, but I'll see what I can do.

The DIs will never "yank" you out of bed. They kick the door in at 0500 and you rush out to line up like a bat out of hell.

What I meant :D

Thanks Spek, Morgan

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Btw, you will have access to sunscreen at OCS. The OCR even has a blurb about the fact that you can be punished for allowing yourself to get sunburnt to the point of being unable to train.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
The problem with the search function is that if your search is too vague, you get a bunch of bs. If you get too specific, you get nothing.
now, now... its nice that you can think that logically however once you're in the navy we're going to require you to throw that whole logical decision making / thought process out the window. :)

Ooh, I thought of a few stupid OCS questions on the drive home.

I have really light skin, and sunburn easily (even in RI). 9-10 months of the year, I need sunscreen if I'm going to be outside more than 30 min.

-Will I have time in the morning to put on sunscreen? (Will the DIs yank me straight out of bed out into the sun ever?)
-Will I be allowed to bring sunscreen into OCS?
-Will I have time to reapply throughout the day?

I figure countless Irish like myself have gone through OCS, but I wonder how that works.

i had no problems with sunburns until we started doing grad practice in PT gear and my scalp burned pretty damn good. by that point you should have had access to the NEX or would be able to swindle some sunscreen somehow. i think the OCR only allows for something insane like SPF45. just remember to lather it up on the top of your head, having no hair makes it vulnerable as i discovered.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Does anybody know if the NEX sells that spray on sunblock? It saves you minutes in that you can just spray yourself real quick and run out. It works really well for your head too, when it's buzzed....Only problem I've found is that some brands turn your clothes yellow and don't wash out

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So I'm gonna throw out my own stupid questions...

1. I'm only 5'0. Am I gonna be expected to keep up with the freakishly tall guy (because my luck, I'll have a guy that's 6'6 or something in my class) during runs?

2. The "nature calls" question has been answered...by guys. What's the deal when a girl gets her monthly nature call?

3. And lastly...where does one find solid white sports bras in "really tiny ribcage but really big cup size" sizes?

And IRT #3, I realize this is a problem a lot of girls would love to have, but trust me, it sucks. And I don't ask the question to get attention. But for me, this is a pretty significant problem.

1. Running Groups..
2. It's called a tampon...and you don't generally have to fight 35 other d-bags for a single stall, so you WILL have time.
3. We had 2 tiny girls with big tits in OCS...one doubled up on the sports bra's, the other..well I didn't ask, but she didn't seem to get it figured out, much to her displeasure...

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
Maybe I was too vague with question #2? What I really meant was...what if that shit starts and you're in the middle of something? I'd rather not announce to the whole class "Hey I just started my period, so I gotta go take care of that while ya'll get beat for it!"

I also have to double up on them, but I usually wear a regular bra and 2 sports bras over it. Just need to know where to find solid white ones, the only ones I have that fit well are pink or gray or black.

kat27

Hey guys,
I had some questions about the stuff for OCS. My step mom went out and bought most of it because she found my OCS list. I think I have read all the links about what to bring, but I appologize if I ask a question that has already been answered. Also, I know that we will be able to buy stuff at the Navy exchange, but I would rather have it all taken care of since I will have storage.
- I have the space in my truck for on ironing board, should I bring one? Is a small one okay?
-Small tupperware...what is this used for and how much should I bring
-Do we need to bring pens and notepads? basic school shit?
-The list said soap and razors, can I bring shaving cream?
-should I buy wipes and cleaning supplies for our inspections?
Thanks for your help
kat

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Small ironing boards suck.
I never used tupperware, but it might be useful to keep somethings clean.
You can easily get notepads and pens at OCS.
You can bring shaving cream, as well as other normal toiletries.
I think you can hold off buying cleaning supplies.